Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:19:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 489
Total: 491

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: About Obama...Remember when I said.....  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
About Obama...Remember when I said.....
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:53:37 pm »
Ok, I hate to say I told you so.....And maybe it is just happening in my back water little hood but folks CAN NOT accept a black man as Prez...Or maybe I should say is NOT willing to....And they call this freedom of speech...sheesh!!!!

http://yourerie.com/content/fulltext/?cid=27461
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: About Obama...Remember when I said.....
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 12:07:02 am »
but folks CAN NOT accept a black man as Prez...

That should read "SOME folks" not "folks" otherwise he wouldn't be leading by an average of 7% nationally and 364 to 174 electoral votes:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_obama-225.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=10

Nobody here ever claimed that the US is void of racists.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:37 am »
You are right, I should have said SOME folks...Yeah, he's in the lead and I never said anyone here claimed the US was void of racism though there were some who acted like it was all in my head or I made it up. I am showing that it is still alive and kicking right in my backyard so to speak.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 12:21:35 am »
The problem is going on strong in MISSOURI

I have relatives ,in-law-type , that have BLACK  grand kids  ,nieces ,nephews

THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT VOTING FOR OBAMA BECAUSE HE IS BLACK !

I FIND THE WHOLE ISSUE DISCUSTING TO SAY THE LEAST !

I also have met many people at the V.A. that are so predigest , that I find it hard

they even are capable of holding on to their jobs . BUT THEY DO   ???

i thought the fifties ended all this kind of hate , but the CHURCH  backs these people go figure
" Live and let Live "

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 12:38:36 am »

I know this shouldn't come as a surprise, I mean come on everyone should have figured when Obama announced he was running for president that racism would rear it's ugly head.   We should commend the maker of the sign though, he spelled "right" correctly.  I find that more surprising than it's racist content.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline randym431

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 02:26:05 am »
Oh I dont know. He did very well in iOwa. Beat Hillary. And is ahead double digits in iOwa polls.
I think the same people that wouldnt vote for a black man would not vote for a woman vp either.
They just wont vote.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 03:25:34 am »
Well a person took the sign down and burned it. I wonder if another one will pop up in it's place somewhere else. Shouldn't really surprise me, the KKK use to hold rallies at our courthouse back in the day. Maybe a few years ago was the last one.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:16:10 am »
The two stories I've found on this incident don't mention anyone burning the sign, just that a "good Samaritan" took it down. Both parties have denounced the incident and we aren't seeing too much of this sort of ignorant behavior occuring in PA. Thankfully, PA is a pro-Obama state.

SUMMIT TOWNSHIP -- A sign in the 9200 block of Upper Peach Street is bringing the issue of race into the Presidential election. The sign says "Vote Right, Vote White." Democrats say its the politics of hate - a slam on Barack Obama. 

"It is disgusting, it is discouraging, and it is despicable," says Bishop Dwayne Brock, an Erie African-American community leader.  "Nevertheless, it is a reality in our times that no matter how we try to deny it, racism still exists."

Brock says he's not surprised at the sign.  "Having a black candidate who very well may become our next President of this blessed country doesn't sit well with some people and that's a shocking reality," Brock says. 

We contacted the owner of the property where the sign was displayed.  They were shocked to learn about it, but before they could send a worker to tear it down, a good samaritan from Erie got to it first.

We're not sure who put up the sign, and representatives from both the Obama and McCain camps are condemning any kind of racial campaigning. 

"We're hoping that most of the people in Erie County show that they are above this," Erie County Democratic Party Cathi Zelazny says. 

"Senator McCain has denounced folks at rallies who have said many horrible things about Senator Obama," Mccain Campaign Coordinator Jon Hopcraft says.  "Senator McCain is giving a lot of respect to Senator Obama."

Respect, and not racism, is the hope for the next three weeks.  Many, like Bishop Brock, still think we have a long way to go.  "Subtle racism is still there," Brock says.  "It's just as dangerous and it needs to be eradicated within our society."  Brock says the fight against racism begins with education.

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 08:34:50 am »
i see stickers on cars and trucks that say " white is right " then some sort of expletive
about blacks ,queers and aliens .

One day I was so pissed ,one of these trucks parked next to me !

I really felt like waiting to see what kind of  bumkin was driving it , but Bob said

i was out of line , free speech ,no matter how hateful !,i is right !

This is a place where if I put a rainbow on my truck I could get burned out .

life is so good .....................................

Obama must win ! It is really what we need !

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 10:45:33 am »
Your Royal Highness, why all the negativity with Obama?  I don't understand it.  Yes, I know Hillary was your choice, but...

You seem intent on proving that whites won't vote for a black person (which quite frankly has already been proven incorrect considering the number of black mayors, governors and other state elected officials in office and the fact that Obama himself won the Democratic nomination).  And if you aren't harping on the race issue then you're predicting that Obama will be assassinated!

I don't think you give people enough credit.  Yes, racism still exist and yes some people won't vote for Obama because of his race/name, but this isn't exactly the 1950's.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 11:54:38 am »
Your Royal Highness, why all the negativity with Obama?  I don't understand it.  Yes, I know Hillary was your choice, but...

You seem intent on proving that whites won't vote for a black person (which quite frankly has already been proven incorrect considering the number of black mayors, governors and other state elected officials in office and the fact that Obama himself won the Democratic nomination).  And if you aren't harping on the race issue then you're predicting that Obama will be assassinated!

I don't think you give people enough credit.  Yes, racism still exist and yes some people won't vote for Obama because of his race/name, but this isn't exactly the 1950's.

Harping? Sorry Cliff but you really need to study the history of voting rights before you make such sweeping generalizations. The reason for greater numbers of elected minorities was the passage by Congress establishing voting rights. The vast majority of blacks elected reflect their constituency, not some mythical crossover vote by color blind whites. Even your example you give of Obama is wrong. Obama won with a coalition of groups withen the democratic party. During the primaries Hillary consistently won the vote of white Democrats (men and women). Obama was able to peal off enough young white and educated white voters to make the difference. Something the white monolithic Republican Party never needs to worry about. At least get your talking points straight.

I think Queen is spot on in her assessment, and I think it patronizing of you to discount her opinions. If you don't think racism is alive and well and being fomented among the Republican base then you have paid no attention to this election. It has been exposed and it is raw. Like you, I do hope it is a dwindling minority in the Republican Party, but I'm not so sure. The Secret Service assigned Obama protection earlier than any other candidate to run for President because of threats on his life. Example after example of pure white-hot racism printed in our papers and shown on our screens everyday coming out of the McCain campaign. Robo calls of the most vile nature insinuating Obama is a terrorist, complete with a "I'm John McCain and I approve this message." I'm no conspiracy theorist (I believe Oswald acted alone) but it only takes one lone nut to do the deed. History proves it.

edited to add this tidbit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrExRHZnm0
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:05:11 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:53 pm »
Hal -- please dial it down a notch -- this is a hard topic, and we don't need to resort to calling others "patronizing."

I see plenty of evidence on both sides of this issue -- there's still a HUGE amount of racism in the U.S., and there's also some strong evidence that white voters (which ones though?) can elect black candidates.  See this interesting article that ran on the front page of the NY Times a few days ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/14/us/politics/14race.html

You said "The vast majority of blacks elected reflect their constituency, not some mythical crossover vote by color blind whites."  What the article above points to is that maybe times are changing, and that your statement doesn't always hold true these days.  Obviously, none of the elections mentioned in that article were NATIONAL, so November 4th will tell us all a great deal about whether this country have progressed or not.

I share your doubts, but also share Cliff's hopes.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 12:23:38 pm »

You know it's bad when even the people who support him are arguing..

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:27:54 pm »
I'm not sure accusing Queen of "harping" helps either, but there you go.

Most black elected officials, however, still represent predominantly black communities. And Dr. Hajnal and other analysts say racial animosity toward black candidates still exists and may affect the results of local and national elections, including the race for president. But he said such feelings were declining.

I would be the first to admit the easing of racism in our country and the nomination and hopefully election of Obama encourages my belief. I'm old enough to recall first hand the "whites only" laundries and restaurants in the Tennessee of the sixties. My point is that equality doesn't start by an epiphany by the majority that it's a moral right, but by the enactment of laws guaranteeing human beings their civil rights.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:29:26 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 12:44:44 pm »
I would be the first to admit the easing of racism in our country and the nomination and hopefully election of Obama encourages my belief. I'm old enough to recall first hand the "whites only" laundries and restaurants in the Tennessee of the sixties. My point is that equality doesn't start by an epiphany by the majority that it's a moral right, but by the enactment of laws guaranteeing human beings their civil rights.  

Your last comment goes to the very heart of the crisis that America faces.  We, as a county, need to decide on what we want, being American to mean.  Including racism, there are so many factors, that are used by various interest groups, to manipulate the American public, and history shows us, that prejudice dies slowly.  My greatest fear, in this election, is the number of Americans, who subconsciously will vote their prejudice, no matter what that entails.

While racism will surely play some role in this election, there are other variables, that will also have some affect, but we will be unable to define them or their impact.  Actually, I see this racist sign as a positive reflection of the American public.  The sign was removed and denounced by everyone and while that does not prove anything, I like to think that it does reflect a growing acceptance of the equality of all Americans.

Now, if we could just get America to see us pozzies, as equals.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »
I guess I am just kind of a simple guy and take this election and basically any election on the fact that people are going to vote or not vote for someone on a variety of non-issue reasons. Right or wrong, moral or immoral some people will cast a vote based on race, sex, sexual orientation, income, even down to who they want to have a beer with.  Those voters that use things like this to cast their vote could care less about the issues and who is better suited to do the job.  That segment of the voting population will always be with us.  I wish that wasn't the case, but accept that it is.  

To me the great thing that has been demonstrated through the primaries and thus far the general election is that there are many of us supporting a candidate based on who is better suited to do the job and can take care of meeting our needs.  In the end I honestly believe the vast majority of voters could care less if the winner is black or white, male or female, gay or straight as long as their needs are met they will be satisfied.  
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 01:04:23 pm »
If you don't think racism is alive and well and being fomented among the Republican base then you have paid no attention to this election.
Not sure why you decided to suggest that I believe racism isn't alive in the US, when I clearly made the following comment (which you quoted in your response):

I don't think you give people enough credit.  Yes, racism still exist and yes some people won't vote for Obama because of his race/name, but this isn't exactly the 1950's.

Color barriers, whether political, business (executives), professional sports management/coaching staff, are being broken, actually most have already been broken, despite some people claiming that whites will never....vote for black person, serve under a black person, be managed by a black person, take orders from a black person, etc.  I'm not naive and understand on a first hand basis how people judge individuals because of the color of their skin.  And I do know my history and comprehend the voting patterns of the US.  And yet I still maintain that progress is being made and that it is wrong to suggest that white America could never vote for a minority and that it's counterproductive to focus on Obama's assassination risk.

But yes, "harping" was probably too strong of a word.  It was sorta said tongue in cheek.  I probably wouldn't start an all-serious dress-down comment with, your royal highness.

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 01:10:29 pm by Cliff »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 01:07:59 pm »
On a happier note, guess what I just received from my BFF Barack in the mail this morning? A sign as sure as I'm sitting here. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 02:37:57 pm »
Please pardon the language of the following post and recognize the context in which it is posted, and that the offensiveness is part of the point of the post.

I think I literally might throw up - I am not joking - if I have to hear any variation of the following comments that I have heard more times than I can count in the last week or two as the election draws ever nearer:

"I'm afraid of what it's gonna be like if they get one of them in the White House.  There's already so many of them that have an attitude like you owe them everything as it is.  I'm afraid they're gonna start trying to take over. And I don't doubt that if they got one in the White House, they'll do it, too."

"Look, I ain't racist, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna vote for a damned nigger."

"I'm afraid if they get the chance, they're gonna try to get back at us for what happened to them and do it to us."

"They're gonna expect everything to get handed to them left an right, and if you don't do it they're gonna scream racism."

"I don't want to see it where we're all just gonna have to sit and take it and start getting looked down on and pushed around by a bunch of uppity black people."

or the all-time classic of irony:

"Niggers wanna make everything about race."

I stated in another thread recently that despite how steadfast so many in this area of Georgia are in their conservatism, there is a palpable sense that people generally feel like the campaign is already lost to Obama.  That's at least the sensation around here in these hills.  It may be different closer into the city - I don't know first hand.  What I do know is that there is also some sort of increased sense of panic and agression that has become very palpable in the air now, too.  I know the obvious question might be, "Why don't I put them in their place when I hear speech like this?"  Well...as a 165 lb, unarmed queer boy in the country I think you can figure out why.  Yeah - I'm chickenshit.  I worry about having the shit beat out of me or worse.  A lot of the people are bigger and armed....hunters and such in trucks with gunracks and all that business.  I love, LOVE the country but this is an unfortunate negative up here - you have a lot of this mentality.  And I know my area is not unique.  There are little pockets like this one all across the land.  Nor is this attitude necessarily confined to the sticks...it rears its ugly face in city and country alike, north as well as south.

This sort of thing is all over the place lately.  I just saw on CNN about a campaign flyer in Florida that featured an Obama/Jackass likeness on a phoney Food Stamp voucher tha included pictures of, among other things, fried chicken and watermelon.  There's also the ever-popular Obama-as-monkey posters.  The list goes on and on.  While assassination is a threat for every President, and while I don't know if huge bouts of violence would be a problem at the polls themselves, I do not find it to be a great stretch of the imagination to think that there might be some flair ups dotting out here and there all across the country.  But I also said months ago that if this is what has to happen for my country to get the hell over it, if this sort of thing HAS to happen at some point, might as well hunker down and slog our way through it now. 

***Again, apologies if the language here is still viewed as "crossing the line", and I will happily edit it if absolutely needed...but would prefer it to stand to underscore the seriousness of the tone.  Let me know.***
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2008, 03:37:59 pm »
Tim,

While the language is vile, it underscores what some Americans believe.  But no matter how subhuman these comments, my real issue is that too many Americans seem to believe it is OK to denigrate others.  The language used in your post, is really no different than sentiments, cloaked in PC speech, that actively support the suppression of a particular group.  I keep waiting for more of us to stand up to all bigots and remind them that we are all Americans, with the same inalienable rights.  Far too many Americans have become vicious in their vitriol against groups they do not like.  At some of Palins rallies, there were people yelling "kill him", in reference to Obama and Palin, never said a word about it.

So the big question for me remains.  When exactly, did America decide that we were returning to lynching, now verbal, as a way to solve our differences?  I love this country, but I absolutely deplore what has happened in the past eight years.  Americans have been force fed this us versus them mentality, for so long, that now some Americans are questioning the patriotism of their neighbors and leaders.  How can you be labeled a terrorist, because you believe our country is going in the wrong direction?  Just because I disagree with your viewpoint, you have the right to call be a terrorist?  And even though you have that right, so many others, look on, and say nothing.

It is that last point that scares me the most.  We have become a wounded society and we will all need to work at repairing the America that we know can exist.  America has been failed by her leaders, to an extent, that will be measured in years.  I know that the policies of king george have damaged America greatly and we need to try a new way of doing things.

Do I think Obama is the best candidate for president?  Maybe not, but he has shown me, consistently, that he possess the ability to mediate issues, based on the input by all the affected parties.  He is drawing some of the most talented Americans, as his advisers and he displays the temperament a president requires.  McCain is just Bush II and I hope America agrees, that Obama is our best choice for the next four years.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 04:15:26 pm »

I'm reading this thread and what I am gathering is that the consensus believes the whites in America as a whole will not put a black man in office.  This argument of course is being made by mostly white people who of course support who?  Obama right?   If the only white people voting for him are in this thread then I guess McCain will be our next president....    Perhaps all of America is not as racist as some here have been led to believe.  Don't get me wrong it does exist, as my wife and I have seen first hand in our own city we live in.  I just think it's the minority and McCain can have those.

In my opinion, and I hope I am not wrong, we will have Obama as our next president.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 04:37:12 pm »
So the big question for me remains.  When exactly, did America decide that we were returning to lynching, now verbal, as a way to solve our differences?  I love this country, but I absolutely deplore what has happened in the past eight years.  Americans have been force fed this us versus them mentality, for so long, that now some Americans are questioning the patriotism of their neighbors and leaders.  How can you be labeled a terrorist, because you believe our country is going in the wrong direction?  Just because I disagree with your viewpoint, you have the right to call be a terrorist?  And even though you have that right, so many others, look on, and say nothing.

I don't see scapegoating as anything new. It was worse in the 1920s and 1950s with the Red Scare. We are still dealing with the illegal alien scare. Fear is a very effective weapon and it serves Republicans well to label anyone who doesn't support their agenda as "terrorist", which is the new "communist", or "Anti-American". Fortunately many people seem to recognize this tactic for what it is: an unsavory, 11th hour smear.

I feel Americans in general are becoming less prejudiced in respect to race, misogyny and sexual orientation. It is a slow process. I don't think a black man or a woman would have had any realistic chance of being elected president 30 years. I hope Americans will demonstrate in this election that the scales have tipped and that a racial minority can be elected to the highest office in the land.

Going back to the original post about the sign we need to keep in mind there will always be bigotted assholes out there. It is so easy to blame someone else when your own life is not going well. The silver lining about that sign is that so many people are outraged by it in 2008 that it is national news.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 04:50:38 pm »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
I guess I have a lot to address here and will do the best I can since I am not really into politics all like that in case those who thinks I am beating the Obama is up for assassination topic or the race card. I simply was showing an article about racism due to Obama running. And on the local news, it did say the sign was burned, they even showed it. I didn't pull it out of a hat....just saying. I still stand by my convictions about "certain" whites does not want Obama in the White House. I also am saying some blacks may not want him in there either. And yes, I was all for Hillary when she was running against Obama and when she lost, I was not hating on Obama but stating fact that the man's life is going to be in danger. I still stand by that fact and thanks Aunty for backing that up with some fact on boosting his security. And I am voting for Obama after seeing the Democratic Convention and the vicious mudslinging from Mc Cain's camp. I'm not for a man who sides with Bush 90% of the time.

I guess you feel what I am saying is negative, I call it being real about the situation. If it was all about race with me I would simply say I'm voting for him cause he is black though I am not. I saw the Convention and made my own conclusions and choose to vote for him.  It may not be the 50's but racism is still here and probably is almost like the 50's in some areas. I do believe the Klan is still around somewhere.

And I do give people here credit but has seen racism first hand like in the 50's. My sister and I went to a certain restuarant a few months ago. We were the only women of color in the joint and was damn near ignored when it came to getting service. I am sure that happened in the 50's, well then anything black couldn't get past the door but  it is now 2008 at least we got past the door, huh? That's change for you. And it is still happening. I don't see how you think so lightly about it, maybe it has never happened to you.

And change is coming when Obama gets in office but the racism will still be there.......

And Thunter Bunny.....What you posted doesn't reflect how you feel but I guess when Obama makes it in those folks better run for the hills..... ;D

6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:41 pm »
Racists for Obama?

That is an interesting article. It is fascinating the distinctions people make. “I wouldn't want a mixed marriage for my daughter, but I'm voting for Obama,” the wife of a retired Virginia coal miner, Sharon Fleming, told the Los Angeles Times recently.
Of course if Obama was single and courting her daughter she might think differently!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
It may not be the 50's but racism is still here and probably is almost like the 50's in some areas. I do believe the Klan is still around somewhere.

And I do give people here credit but has seen racism first hand like in the 50's. My sister and I went to a certain restaurant a few months ago. We were the only women of color in the joint and was damn near ignored when it came to getting service. I am sure that happened in the 50's, well then anything black couldn't get past the door but it is now 2008 at least we got past the door, huh? That's change for you. And it is still happening. I don't see how you think so lightly about it, maybe it has never happened to you.
And change is coming when Obama gets in office but the racism will still be there.......
Hey Q,

I don't take racism lightly.  I just didn't view this thread as a discussion about racism in America in general, just more about it's impact on the Presidential election.  I didn't think that if I said that I disagree with the comment that (most of) white America will never vote for a black president, that this automatically meant that I was saying that racism doesn't exist.  I know race is playing a complex role in this election.  But that's nothing new.  It's played a role in every Presidential election.

I'm a bit surprised that people are shocked at how divisive this election has become and the things people say (and believe).  I'm not surprised.  Obama's candidacy hasn't made any of these people react the way they are reacting.  They've always acted/reacted that way.  Perhaps they're more vocal now.  But I'm not sure that's even the case.  Maybe more people are exposed to this side of life in America now than they otherwise would be.

Cliff

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 09:26:21 pm »
No, they're definitely more vocal now.  All you have to do is stand on a street corner and try and register new voters, even in a very liberal city like Philadelphia.

However, there are other issues at play that bring this out if you consider how the Republican party's base is increasingly white, male, and rural.  They're also increasingly be whittled down to a regional political party.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 09:32:15 pm »
This is a place where if I put a rainbow on my truck I could get burned out .

life is so good .....................................

Yeah! The Boot heel of Missouri! Lovely place! Half my relatives live down there!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 06:45:49 am »
Hey Q,

I don't take racism lightly.  I just didn't view this thread as a discussion about racism in America in general, just more about it's impact on the Presidential election.  I didn't think that if I said that I disagree with the comment that (most of) white America will never vote for a black president, that this automatically meant that I was saying that racism doesn't exist.  I know race is playing a complex role in this election.  But that's nothing new.  It's played a role in every Presidential election.

I'm a bit surprised that people are shocked at how divisive this election has become and the things people say (and believe).  I'm not surprised.  Obama's candidacy hasn't made any of these people react the way they are reacting.  They've always acted/reacted that way.  Perhaps they're more vocal now.  But I'm not sure that's even the case.  Maybe more people are exposed to this side of life in America now than they otherwise would be.

Cliff

Cliff, no one is surprised by the exploitation of racism by the McCain campaign. It's all they got-I'm only surprised they didn't go there earlier. Believe me, if they were up in the polls they wouldn't be relying on it now. What puzzles me is your analysis and ability to explain it away with a "that's nothing new". It's entirely new, if for no other reason (or justification) than the fact that Barack Obama is black. It gives it a face.  We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Hillary had won the nomination.

Barack Obama knows it's there. That's why over the past two years his campaign has worked hard to register as many new, young Democrats as possible. He knows the reality of the American voter and hopes to compensate for the loss of older white voters by adding new younger voters that don't have the biased racial views of their parents. That's the reality and he has adopted that strategy, hopefully to victory.

There's ample evidence (of course we won't know until the election) that it is working. It's why he is able to compete and hopefully win states like North Carolina and Missouri this year. It's why a Democratic candidate for Senator is running neck and neck with a Republican in Mississippi.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 08:33:07 am »
In the end it may all come down to green instead of black.

HOLY BILLIONS BATMAN!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=6065607

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 09:50:20 am »
Colin Powell sure thinks that McCain's racist attacks are "something new".

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 06:37:43 pm »

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 09:04:42 pm »
You are right, I should have said SOME folks...Yeah, he's in the lead and I never said anyone here claimed the US was void of racism though there were some who acted like it was all in my head or I made it up. I am showing that it is still alive and kicking right in my backyard so to speak.

Well I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, however I believe it is mostly in the older generations still living. I seen it a little when I lived in Brooklyn, NY but IIRC it was worst down in the south NC,SC, etc..My wife tried to be friends with a woman when we lived in NY but she was scared of being seen with her and what people would think It's a shame because my wife has a big heart and they couldn't be friends even though my wife tried. I think it must of been her upbringing when she grew up in the south.

Having said that there is always a perception even nowadays of racism with certain crowds I don't think it is as bad as society is more accepting present day. I too don't agree  that skin color will dictate this race.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
Cliff, no one is surprised by the exploitation of racism by the McCain campaign. It's all they got-I'm only surprised they didn't go there earlier. Believe me, if they were up in the polls they wouldn't be relying on it now. What puzzles me is your analysis and ability to explain it away with a "that's nothing new". It's entirely new, if for no other reason (or justification) than the fact that Barack Obama is black. It gives it a face.  We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Hillary had won the nomination.

My thoughts exactly....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 07:33:15 pm »
This is scary

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081027/ap_on_el_pr/skinhead_plot_21

Feds disrupt skinhead plot to assassinate Obama
WASHINGTON – Law enforcement agents have broken up a plot by two neo-Nazi skinheads to assassinate Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and shoot or decapitate 88 black people, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco Firearms and Explosives said Monday.

In court records unsealed Monday in U.S. District Court in Jackson, Tenn., federal agents said they disrupted plans to rob a gun store and target a predominantly African-American high school in a murder spree that was to begin in Tennessee. Agents said the skinheads did not identify the school by name.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 07:46:03 pm »
Wow....kill 88 black people and Obama....Yes, racism may be strong with the older generation but they are teaching it to their kids who will in turn teach it to theirs. So when does it end?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 08:31:19 pm »
Wow....kill 88 black people and Obama....Yes, racism may be strong with the older generation but they are teaching it to their kids who will in turn teach it to theirs. So when does it end?

I realize that it will never become eradicated however we live in a cruel world. It was a general statement.

What is important is the topic at hand having said all of that I think my other points were clear at least I hope they were. This incident was one of very few I have heard of. Race or not I really believe this Obama's race to loose.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:33:03 pm by Mike89406 »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 10:58:27 pm »
I realize that it will never become eradicated however we live in a cruel world. It was a general statement.

What is important is the topic at hand having said all of that I think my other points were clear at least I hope they were. This incident was one of very few I have heard of. Race or not I really believe this Obama's race to loose.

Not sure what you meant by your statement, actually. Yes, it is his race to lose and his life that is in danger. I do believe I was staying on topic. I think this was the second time I've heard of someone trying to take a shot at Obama and it will prolly not be the last. I just hope those that make the attempts are not successful and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. When they go to jail, will they be trying to wipe out all the blacks locked up with them? No, they will be trying to watch their asses or hide behind some Aryan faction.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 10:50:23 pm »
Listen, Queen I'm on your side here and I know I didn't take a shot at any presidential candidate read my statements closer. I hope that's not what you took from me. All I'm saying is these incidents willl happen from time to time (I'm talking about the sign you linked). It's a shame these things can still happen

Truth be told society our country has come a long way maybe not perfect but more diverse and free thinking.

Just to be clear I wasn't responding to the the threats against Obama in any of my statements. I was responding to a general statement about racism.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:12:48 pm by Mike89406 »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 04:26:51 am »
Listen, Queen I'm on your side here and I know I didn't take a shot at any presidential candidate read my statements closer. I hope that's not what you took from me. All I'm saying is these incidents willl happen from time to time (I'm talking about the sign you linked). It's a shame these things can still happen

I don't think I mentioned you taking any shots at Obama, not seeing how you got that out of anything I said. And yes, these thing do happen, as in the link I posted about the sign. We have come a ways but still have a long way to, IMO, when it comes to racism is all I am saying.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.