Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:57:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 604
Total: 607

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insurance and Atripla  (Read 5508 times)

Offline hereinny

Insurance and Atripla
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:27:44 pm »
I currently have a weird insurance problem.  I have a regular prescription plan that will pay 7500.00 per year but i have to pay a co pay of 20%.  so basically for a 1500 med, they will pay 1200 and i pay 300. So basically by the 7th month they will only pay 300 and i have to pay the remaining 1200.  From that point on, they are out of it.

I also have catastrophic insurance which kicks in after 10,000 dollars has been paid out toward my illness.  This includes all money paid out regardless of who pays it.  (insurance or me)  That means that since they say I have 100% prescription coverage on this catastrophic plan, they should pay for the rest of the meds.  The 10,000 deductable is good for 3 years.

i called to ask this company to see if they will pay for atripla.  they refuse to say. They say i have to make a claim first.  Then they will pay whatever is reasonable and customary.  Is it possible they could say that i should be taking a different med?  I found atripla for the cheepest price there is, can they tell me that i should take a cheaper med?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Insurance and Atripla
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »
Yes insurance companies can and do refuse to pay for certain drugs. Been there and done that.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:25:35 pm »
Are you in the US?  If so what state?   

Also, if you are in one of those states that allows insurance companies to dictate this kind of crap, one thing you can do is mitigate the impact of the cost of your meds by sigining up for a 125 plan, if your company has one.  You're still paying, but at least it is coming out of your check pre tax and you get reimbursed as you pay for the meds.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline hereinny

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:46:08 am »
So let me try to understand this,  an insurance company can just say no because they dont want to pay for it?  If that is the case, why dont they do that with everything?  I cant believe they have to ability to refuse payment without providing an alternative.

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:36 am »
Yes it is a ponsee schmem of old,

I was self employed here in the Florida looking for insurance and Florida has open emrollment for folks once a year to buy insurance and the only plan offer to me was a 80 /20 plan with no prisription benifits and I had to pay for the premuim for a year before I could use the insurance policy.  It is all in how the Insurance Lawyers write the policy or contract that is why every year Medcare Insurance providers write a new contract with the Senior Citzen for then they can change the contract , cause confusion and up the profit for their company.  It is a ponsee scheme of old called marketing and free enterprise.  The cell phone companies do the same tricks, cable companies do the same tricks for teams of lawyers and marketer are planning right now on how to get more money  from the consumers pocket to come into their pockets. It is all good just remember Buyer Beware and look past the smile and kind word of the  saleman for the devil is in the detail of all contracts.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
So let me try to understand this,  an insurance company can just say no because they dont want to pay for it?  If that is the case, why dont they do that with everything?  I cant believe they have to ability to refuse payment without providing an alternative.

There are drug Formularies that list whatever drugs are covered under specific plans, you can access most of these online. You can confirm what you are being told by checking the formulary for your specific plan.

You might be able to qualify for ADAP to cover the medications above the $7500. limit set by your insurance. If you are in New York, here is a link for NY ADAP:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/aids/resources/adap/index.htm

Also, several drug companies have co-pay assistance programs where they cover the co-pay on your meds. The website www.needymeds.org has a lot information about resources for accessing drugs.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:21:53 pm »
Locate an AIDS service organization where you live (known as ASO's) and sit down with someone who handles this issue -- take in your insurance policy handbook that details your coverage, as well as your last tax returns to see if you qualify for other prescription assistance.  It's impossible to answer these questions on a message board except in the most general terms.

But yeah, basically it sounds like you have a really crappy insurance policy so best to sort this out as you're going to need better coverage the remainder of your life.

If you're in NYC (going from your user name) go to GMHC in Chelsea http://www.gmhc.org/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:25:25 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.