Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:54:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 186
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Yet another Oral Sex Freakout. Please Help!  (Read 7204 times)

Offline toutsam

• Standard
Yet another Oral Sex Freakout. Please Help!
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:17:09 am »
Hi Guys,

Been reading through the forums and I decided to create an account and post my question.

Alright:

So I gave unprotected oral sex to a dude when I was in Australia, he told me he was clean (which I hope he was not lying), he did not cum inside my mouth but some amount of pre-cum did enter my throat and mouth. The oral sex lasted for about 15 minutes. What concerned me was that I do have abit of an issue with bleeding gums (i don't think my gums were bleeding when I gave him the blowjob) but that was the bit that is nagging at the back of my head.

Furthermore as I look through the internet, the debate on whether Oral sex can give you HIV seems to be incredibly contentious.

I don't think I got HIV right?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Yet another Oral Sex Freakout. Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
You never had an exposure.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:43:12 pm »
A) Having read the forums, you know that the term "clean" is offensive. Cut it out. I have HIV and I LITERALLY just got out of the shower.

B) You have not had a risk.

C) Unless you are fine giving unprotected oral to HIV positive guys, then the vetting process should be a lot more than simply taking a person's word for their status before chowing down. Some people don't know they are positive. Some are recently infected. And some choose not to disclose.

Regardless, oral sex is not a viable transmission risk unless your partner's viral load is sky high AND your oral health is something out of a horror film. Google "Meth Mouth" and you will see a theoretical example.

I say "theoretical" because oral transmission has never been firmly documented in any study other than patient report after the fact, which is notoriously unreliable.

Study after study of serodiscordant couples over the last fifteen years where the partners use condoms for anal/vaginal intercourse but NO BARRIER for any type of oral sex have yielded exactly ZERO infections linked to oral sex.

This is not a legitimate HIV concern.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:26:48 am »
Sam,

As JK mentioned, oral hasn't been shown to be the problem many think it is. All you really need to do in order to protect your hiv negative status is to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv.

There have been three long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST SPECIFICALLY OVER ORAL, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline toutsam

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
jkinatl2: Sorry! I didn't mean it in an offensive way. My apologises if I offended you in anyway.

Thank you guys for your comments.

Offline toutsam

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:47:24 am »
Hi guys,

Apologises for resurrecting this topic but I have a question to ask.

What are the chances of contracting HIV from protected anal sex?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:51:22 am »
As long as condoms are worn properly everytime by the insertive partner condoms provide proven effective protection against the transmission of HIV. The key thing is for the head of the penis to remain covered throughout intercourse.

Make sure of that and you don't have to worry.
Andy Velez

Offline toutsam

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:25:56 am »
Alright! Thanks!

I was wondering because I read around that some doctors stating that there is still some risk involved with protected anal sex.

I ask because I engaged in protected anal sex on a couple of occasions with me being on top but if i'm not wrong, as long as the condom is on and doesn't break (which it hasn't), I am fully protected from HIV correct?

I intend to get tested asap but just wanted some clarification.

Thank you all!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:29:17 am »
Then I suggest you find doctors that are knowledgeable in HIV transmission.

Offline toutsam

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:35:54 am »
I appreciate the quick reply.

Thanks.

Offline toutsam

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:03:43 am »
Just to get a peace of mind, I went to get tested and came back with a negative result.

Peace of mind achieved.

I just wanna say thanks to the moderators who took the time to patiently read and answer my questions and again apologise for my accidental usage of the term "clean".

Thanks so much!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »
You're welcome. And now get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline toutsam

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 04:25:19 pm »
Hi,

So recently I met up with this guy and went over to his house. He wanted to have unprotected anal sex with me (with me being the bottom) and I stopped him from going any further. He did however tried to push his penis into my asshole and while I felt there was no complete penetration, i could feel the head of his penis slightly entering me.

There was no pre-cum on him before he tried to enter me.

I've been tested negative and he said he has as well but i can't help but overthink. Is there a risk here?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38:25 pm »
We get this question allot … people asking how much raw penis is a risk for HIV . My answer always is if you are not sure if you were penetrated or they just dipped in a bit then go test for peace of mind. You can read about testing here …

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HIVtests_5029.shtml

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.