Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:56:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 225
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Finally made the plunge  (Read 68555 times)

Offline wolfter

Finally made the plunge
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »
Finally put an offer in on a property that was surprisingly accepted by the seller.  He retired to Florida 3 years ago and is elderly.  This place has sat for over 3 years falling into disrepair. 

My realtor is probably happier than I am.  I finally accepted that I'd have to settle and not get what I had my heart set on.  I'm 2 blocks off the lake  :( but it's only a short walk.  But at least I have boat access. 

It's not a brick and mortar home either.  Another disappointment.  It's a huge double wide on a raised foundation that's about 15 years old.  It sets on 3 lots which is rare this close to the lake.

The greatest news is that I was able to put a substantial amount down and got creative with financing.  I was approved for an unsecured loan for the balance so I'll end up with a clear deed.  This allows me to not pay the ridiculous flood insurance premium.  I go to the bank at 1:30 today to do the final signature and pick up the check.

It's all been kinda strange as we've been in direct communication with the seller.  My ultimate goal is to either put some sweat equity into the place and turn it for a nice profit and buy my dream home, or maybe build one on the side lot and rent the existing doublewide.  I've certainly got my work cut out for me but am also quite excited.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Finally made the plunge
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 12:33:22 pm »
at first reading of the title, I was afraid you had fallen yet again. :o Don't laugh! ::) With you, anything is possible. LOL Speaking of which, how are the burns?

now that I've read this piece though, let me say CONGRATS!  ;D
(even if it does sound like you're piling enough more work onto yourself) :o
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »
at first reading of the title, I was afraid you had fallen yet again. :o Don't laugh! ::) With you, anything is possible. LOL Speaking of which, how are the burns?

SSH now, I've quit sharing my accidents/injuries here.   ;D  The burns are healing quite nicely.  I shared with Mitchy though about smacking my face the day before yesterday.  During humid days, I usually have to jerk the storage shed door pretty hard.  Well, I did just that and it opened freely and smacked me right in the face...lol  Thankfully, I own several pair of glasses exactly for events like this.  At least when I fell in the huge hole, I wasn't injured thanks to it being filled with mud and water.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 12:45:52 pm »

now that I've read this piece though, let me say CONGRATS!  ;D
(even if it does sound like you're piling enough more work onto yourself) :o

It's kinda strange that I have more energy now than any previous period in my life.  I don't know if it was the back to back episodes of being laid up for so long?  It's like I need to be productive every moment of every day.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
It's like I need to be productive every moment of every day.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
sounds like you need counseling. LOL  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:08:55 pm »
sounds like you need counseling. LOL  :-*

Probably, but I haven't seen my regular bartender for a while.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:07 pm »
Congratulations on your plans for a new home . I always look forward to moving into a new space in the past because I enjoy the process of making it my own .

We will need a pictorial update on your progress ! .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:07 pm »
PICTURES!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline britchick

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »
That's fantastic news.Enjoy your new home.
britchick x

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »
I've seen some of your handy work Wolfie so I know you have the talent to make this into a great home..keep busy but for God sake stay away from nail guns..oh no wait a minute it's OK, thank God the life insurance policy I have out on you covers those nasty things. ;)

Look forward to seeing some photo's.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:09:53 pm »
..keep busy but for God sake stay away from nail guns..

LOL but at the same time, my coworker's husband, in some freak action, shot himself in the chest with a nail gun last week and punctured his lung, barely missing his heart, so please take Jan's advice and stick to hammers!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:12:59 am »

During humid days, I usually have to jerk the storage shed door pretty hard.  Well, I did just that and it opened freely and smacked me right in the face...lol 

I did that once, and gave myself a multicoloured black-eye on Christmas Eve. Admittedly I'd just come home from the pub after having a few, which made me forget that the front door was sticky due to dampness. I unlocked the door and it stuck after opening about a foot, and I smashed my face right into it. Luckily I was wearing contacts instead of my glasses. Good times! lol

Be careful with the nail-gun. Be careful with that hammer - watch those thumbs! Get someone else to deal with the nails!!!! ;D

As for saws..... ::) God help you!

Hope everything goes well with the new place!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:37:13 am »
Thanks all.  I'm several steps closer, but we ran into a snafu.  I went to pay all the back taxes on the property (almost $10,000) and was informed they couldn't accept the payment from me since the property has already been filed for tax foreclosure.  We need to pay the tax and court costs via certified bank checks only with those checks being issued in the current owner's name.

He contacted the treasurer's office yesterday and they'll give him an exact amount that needs remitted.  He is also checking to see if he can issue a power of attorney for the purpose of paying the taxes.  The only other option is to wire him the money and have him overnight certified checks.  That option has me really concerned and I'll seek legal advice before proceeding with that.

Once that is done, it's a simple quit claim and I can immediately put the deed in my name. 

@ Ann, I might have been arriving home from the pub too.... :)  Surprisingly, I have never had a major construction accident.  But I do have a steadfast rule, no alcohol ever if I'm using anything that has to be plugged in.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:28 am »

But I do have a steadfast rule, no alcohol ever if I'm using anything that has to be plugged in.

Good thing vibrators are battery-operated, eh? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:53 am »
Good thing vibrators are battery-operated, eh? ;D

Puleze, I'm still young enough and cute enough to not need such a thing.  All I need to do is hang out at a straight bar at closing time.   :o

Offline weasel

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:36 am »
 " @ Ann, I might have been arriving home from the pub too.... :)  Surprisingly, I have never had a major construction accident.  But I do have a steadfast rule, no alcohol ever if I'm using anything that has to be plugged in. "

Oh Dear ! That makes for bland sex   :-X

Weasel

P.S.  Good luck on the house  !
" Live and let Live "

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:12 am »
OK, I'm being so unproductive just sitting here anxiously awaiting the phone call.  It's time to go do something...anything.  I have 2 different decks I'm building for people and I'll go finish one.  It only needs the railing installed.  Good thing they let me work within my timeline.   8)

I might post pictures of these as it's the first time I've added some additional creative features.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:59 pm »
Got er done today!!!!   I made the seller provide a notarized statement that he did not rent or give authorization for anyone to live in the home.  One of our post members has been squatting there for a while now I guess.  Even had telephone service recently installed...imagine. 

He asked if I would be gracious enough to give him 2 weeks to get out.  He "allowed" me to tour the inside of the place.  Surprisingly better than I imagined, but still filthy.  Obviously, all new flooring and some serious bleach cleaning and paint.  And the yard is atrocious.  He had the nerve to tell me that he preferred that I not take pictures of the inside.  I'm being more passive than ever as I don't want a battle to have him removed.

Here are the before pics.  I certainly hope to post some new and improved ones soon.

I am so nervous, yet excited about the entire adventure.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »
Very well done ! . Just remember , no upholstered furniture on the front porch . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 05:29:29 pm »
By the time you are finished with it Wolfie it will be a dream home, look forward to updated photo's once you get started.

Aroha

Offline wolfter

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 05:33:39 pm »
Very well done ! . Just remember , no upholstered furniture on the front porch .

UM, didn't you notice there's already a sofa there?  I actually kinda felt bad as I wouldn't touch anything.  I had him turn all the door knobs to each room and I only glanced into them.  Luckily, I still have several pair of sweats that I can burn after each night of cleaning.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 05:34:48 pm »
By the time you are finished with it Wolfie it will be a dream home, look forward to updated photo's once you get started.

Aroha

Thanks darlin.  I'm heading over tomorrow to start on the outside.  Probably a good solid week to get that all cleaned up.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:43 pm »
Congrats Greg!
Hey, what's up with the 2 barns?
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:25 pm »
Congrats Greg!
Hey, what's up with the 2 barns?

I know!!!   I absolutely hate that.  I'm moving the smaller one around back for equipment storage.  The other one is huge and will make an awesome work shop.  That's gonna be my first priority so all my projects will be perfectly facilitated.  I tend to go OCD a bit on planning.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »
I know!!!   I absolutely hate that.  I'm moving the smaller one around back for equipment storage.  The other one is huge and will make an awesome work shop.  That's gonna be my first priority so all my projects will be perfectly facilitated.  I tend to go OCD a bit on planning.

I thought one would be for clothing storage. ;D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 05:53:14 pm »
I thought one would be for clothing storage. ;D

Nope, the 3rd smaller bedroom is adjacent to the master walk in closet.  A little simple reconfiguration and I can have the closet room of my dreams.  Complete with a lighted vanity station and amplification mirrors. :o  Oh, and of course a floor to ceiling shoe rack several feet wide.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 06:00:51 pm »
What sort of body parts is the current tenant storing in the large barn?
Because I Can

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 08:32:19 pm »
You need to make sure there isnt a meth lab in that barn storage shed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:59:31 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »
Congrats Wolfie....  can't wait to hear the renovation stories........ 

Hugs,
M

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 10:28:36 pm »
Nope, the 3rd smaller bedroom is adjacent to the master walk in closet.  A little simple reconfiguration and I can have the closet room of my dreams.  Complete with a lighted vanity station and amplification mirrors. :o  Oh, and of course a floor to ceiling shoe rack several feet wide.

If it doesn't end up looking like this then I'm not visiting.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:32 am »

Offline wolfter

Offline wolfter

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 03:59:09 am »
I did the wolfie thing this evening.  I felt bad for squarters  until I was told I couldn't take picss   After wanting to be frisked several more times, I gave him a break.   I have squatters and I had to prove I own the property. 

Offline Habersham

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 06:40:33 am »
I was just reading in a novel - and also in a NYtimes article about Detroit - if a squatter pays property taxes on an abandoned house - THEY own the property. Let's hope his name wasn't on any of those checks. In any event - it doesn't take two weeks to pack. Good luck!
Because I Can

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 07:50:40 am »
I did the wolfie thing this evening.  I felt bad for squarters  until I was told I couldn't take picss   After wanting to be frisked several more times, I gave him a break.   I have squatters and I had to prove I own the property. 

Im intrigued ... please tell us more about the squatters , you left me wanting more .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Bowie-esq

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:41 am »
What a beautiful house. Enjoy the adventure!
Infected: +\-01/2010

Tested positive 08/2010
28/07/11 CD4 420 9% v.l. 20500
16/10/11 CD4 320 10% v.l. 185000
10/11/11 begin Truvada/Viramune
29/12/11 CD4 410 13% v.l. 115
14/4/12 v.l. undetectable
05/7/12 CD4 520 19% v.l. UD
21/08/13 CD4 470 20% v.l. UD
19/12/13 CD4 430 23% v.l. UD
8/12/14 CD4 600 21% v.l. UD
4/2/15 CD4 600 v.l. UD. Cholesterol 6.2 ....

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:39 pm »
Im intrigued ... please tell us more about the squatters , you left me wanting more .

someone called the police on me last night.   >:(  When I visited the property yesterday afternoon, the drunken squatters made me nervous.  I can't obtain insurance until next week since my agent indicates I don't have an insurable interest yet.  I was simply doing a security check on MY property....lol

This same fool was investigated when his own home was foreclosed on.   Within mere minutes of him leaving, and taking his dog for a walk, it went up in flames.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2013, 02:16:38 pm »
I was just reading in a novel - and also in a NYtimes article about Detroit - if a squatter pays property taxes on an abandoned house - THEY own the property. Let's hope his name wasn't on any of those checks. In any event - it doesn't take two weeks to pack. Good luck!

Luckily, the only squatter's right in Ohio pertain to someone using a property for more than 21 years and then can claim a legal ownership to the property.  I wrongly have used this term myself.  This would only be a case of tenant's rights which they have none.  It's their responsibility to prove they had a legal right to be there which they didn't. 

I remitted almost $10,000 in back taxes to be able to clear them and be able to transfer the deed.  They've not paid one dime since just helping themselves to the property.  The Sheriff's office said I could have them forced immediately.  Since I've known the parties involved for quite a while, I again agreed to two weeks. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 12:50:39 pm »
I'm such an idiot, I thought Thursday would be the 2 weeks since I gave them the notice,  It's actually today.  Will be heading over there shortly.  Hoping they left it unlocked as we don't have keys yet.  Rec'd the deed yesterday so I'm all good to go as long as they don't attempt something funky.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »
I'm such an idiot, I thought Thursday would be the 2 weeks since I gave them the notice,  It's actually today.  Will be heading over there shortly.  Hoping they left it unlocked as we don't have keys yet.  Rec'd the deed yesterday so I'm all good to go as long as they don't attempt something funky.

Update please. Hope all went well! :)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »
Update please. Hope all went well! :)

Yes ^ this ^.  I was thinking the same thing last night, but figured I'd be patient.  Now I need to know what went down!!!

Hugs,
M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 09:08:52 am »
I'm suffering a bit today thanks to being angry and thinking I was still a young thug.  ;)  Thankfully, I'm related to the leadership of the police department and my step father was a retired deputy. 

I was given the option of pressing charges last night after being attacked.  I declined as I  choose to deal with these types of situations differently.  The one idiot tackled be from behind as I was walking away.  I ended up having him in a head lock that could have resulted in him having a broken neck if he resisted.

This has gotten way uglier than I imagined.  Sorry for their situation, but it is what it is.

Wolfie, who once again has an ankle that is bruised, swollen and bleeding. 

Oh yeah, did I need to disclose even though I was attacked?  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:57 am »
Yikes!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 09:36:08 am »
Yikes!

I was admonished also.  supposedly, it's best to deal with these situations while totally sober...lol 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 09:39:57 am »
So I take it he/they aren't moved out yet?

ps- I think it's best for the police to handle this.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:42:55 am by mitch777 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:21 am »
They will be out today.  ;)  I could have done it last night but deputy Ron ( who has now touched me twice and I liked it) suggested waiting til this morning.  Shall be heading that way soon.  And thanks to CCW, I shall have extra protection ;)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
Will be thinking of you Wolfie....  make sure to rely on the police to do their job here.  No more broken bones allowed!!!!

Hugs,
Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2013, 05:59:26 pm »
Thanks Mike.  My uncle made contact with them this morning.  They agreed to be out today and are calling him when they are finished to let me know it's done.  I wanted the Sheriff's department involved, but they indicated it was more appropriate for the local PD.  I just didn't want it to look as if I was receiving special treatment.

He has also advised his officers to make continuous drive-bys.  He said he'd turn the keys over to me as if I'll use them.  Already have new locks and dead bolts ready to install.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:01 pm »
deputy Ron ( who has now touched me twice and I liked it)
gotta love a man in uniform

I shall have extra protection ;)
yes, you bring the protection to use with Deputy Ron; he'll have the handcuffs  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
How about an update Wolfe ? . How is the new place coming along ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.