Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:08:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pedro (Zamora)... the movie?!  (Read 5409 times)

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
Pedro (Zamora)... the movie?!
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:45:04 pm »
I was helping someone update a minor bit on Wikipedia and while on the site, thought I'd check a few other entries (Judd Winick from The Real World: San Francisco and current DC Comics writer had mentioned to me this summer how much private stuff about him ends up on his page) and was surprised to learn there is a finished (though only seen at film festivals) biopic about the late AIDS activist Pedro Zamora (called Pedro -- Here's hoping people don't think this has something to do with Napoleon Dynamite).

I followed the links to the homepage for the movie... no trailer but plenty of bios amd the like.  I'm not sure if a wider release is planned, learning about a movie through a Wikipedia footnote does not sound like a great PR person is handling things.  It will be rough to watch this movie, Pedro's life as seen on RW:SF as well as stories told to me by both Judd and Pedro's surviving partner Sean Sasser told me many more stories that I felt I knew him personally.  And thinking about other people playing Judd, Sean, and especially Pedro will be odd, the closest case I can think of knowing a person who was then played by someone else on screen was having met Cleve Jones a couple of times and now Emile Hirsch is playing him in Milk.

Chris

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Pedro (Zamora)... the movie?!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:32:59 am »
Very interesting. I had no clue about this. As long as Puck (a Puck portrayl of course (the real Puck would never be asked to have a hand in this I think)) isn't in the movie, I'm fine I guess. (My gut feeling (guess) is that Puck caused stress for Pedro) I do remember Judd and Pam and Rachel loved Pedro a lot. If my memory is intact, HIV claimed Pedro's life before HAART was made widely available to pozzies here. Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:34:36 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 02:29:46 pm »
According to the movie's web site, Puck will be in the movie, played by someone named Matt Barr.  I had to check IMDB to see who this is, he's cuter than Puck (I guess, before make-up adds the scabs and scars) and probably was best known playing Derek on "One Tree Hill."  The IMDB page and the movie web site does not list all the residents so I don't know if all of them will be portrayed.

I don't know if they've incorporated any of Judd's "Pedro and Me" graphic novel into the script.

But you are right, Pedro died in 1994, before the advent of HAART.  I hope the movie includes the phone call President Clinton made to Pedro when he was in the hospital.  The way Judd told me about it (he and Pam were almost by his bedside fulltime) is downright hysterical.

Chris

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:52:50 pm »
I never knew Bill Clinton called Pedro. Cool.

And someone's cuter than Puck, what a shocker  :D :D (sarcasm intentional) If I were the filmmaker I'd stay clear of any mention of Puck. I would rename him "Pogo" or something but definitely not give the real Puck any glimmer of opportunity to sue for defamation of character or wutnot. Better yet, just omit Puck's presence in the film entirely.

And finally a mini hijack. The Real World returns to the airwaves this week!  8) http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25002.0

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:00:58 pm »
I never knew Bill Clinton called Pedro. Cool.

I won't be able to retell it the way Judd told me, but here goes.  One of Pedro's wishes before he died was to have visas available for his family still in Cuba to come to Florida to be by his bedside.  Judd, Pam, and Pedro's roommate were in Pedro's hospital room.  His condition had deteriorated to the point he was unable to speak though he was still aware of his surroundings.  Anyway, the phone in the room rang, Judd answered.  It was Clinton.  He spoke to Judd that he was arranging the visas and asked if he could tell Pedro and wondered if Pedro could understand.  Judd said yes, then placed the receiver next to Pedro.  Clinton thanked Pedro for his efforts to raise AIDS awareness, particularly among the young and people of color, and told him he was getting the visas processed.  A tear came down Pedro's cheek.  Judd took the phone, thanked the President, saying he made Pedro very happy.  After he hung up the phone, Judd (in a semi-smart ass way) looked at Pedro and said "Now how does it feel to have talked to the most powerful person in the world?"  Pedro looked at Judd, and for the first time in a month spoke:

"It wasn't Hillary."

Beautiful...

Chris

Offline Texan38

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:48:24 am »
I saw that episode when aired on MTV as a special in 94. Very moving. This past weekend, MTV ran a 'The Real World' special showing clips from past seasons and clips for the upcoming season, that was when they showed a glimpse of the Pedro Zamora movie. The way I understood, it's going to be a movie shown on MTV.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:56 pm »

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:40 pm »
This past weekend, MTV ran a 'The Real World' special showing clips from past seasons and clips for the upcoming season, that was when they showed a glimpse of the Pedro Zamora movie.

Ah, thanks.  I knew I had TIVO'ed that for a reason (still haven't watched it yet though).

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 04:05:02 pm »
I now learn it's going to be an "MTV movie" and that brings back memories of the mediocre movie they did about Matthew Shephard (long before HBO's superb adaptation of The Laramie Project and then NBC's TV-movie of lesser quality but at least had a decent performance by Stockard Channing) and thought it'd be crap.

Now I read in the latest issue of POZ that the script was by the same writer as Milk.  The snippet they showed on their Real World Secrets special didn't encourage me much but it would be hard to capture the magnetism Pedro exuded.

Offline msalonso07

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 03:05:08 pm »
I am so happy they have made his life into a movie.  Pedro was my best friend.  We met in elementary school in 6th grade but didn't become friends until we had science together in 7th grade.  What I remember most about him was his laugh and love for life.  He really did live every day to the fullest. I can't wait to get my hands on it.  I hope the actor captured his spark. 

Yesenia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.