Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:54:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 444
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Valtrex and hiv  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Sheridan1924

Valtrex and hiv
« on: April 13, 2017, 09:10:05 am »
I am highly upset and concern and very scared about the information giving out about valtrex and hiv exposure, RNA copies of hiv, . I do believe that valtrex lower hiv viral copies. With that being said if you just got exposed to hiv and that day you start taking valtrex twice a day . It will delay seroconversion. How come the old post say no way. That is not right or fair. . I got exposed in mid December, and the next day I started taking valtrex cause  I thought I was getting a cold sore on my lips.. anyways I took it for two weeks. I know way to long. But I did. Then 2 and half weeks later I started taken it again for 10 days now it's mid January so end of January I take 4 generation is negative. Then at the end of February I took valtrex again for the last 11 days in feb .So March 2 I took hiv RNA test and 4generation test. It was negative. Now I'm scared . I'm going today to test. Sorry I can't write that well.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Valtrex and hiv
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:30:17 am »
Hi, I don't understand what your problem is with Valtrex, but no matter.
You never said what your risk was , so I'll just give you some information testing.

Guidelines are to test at 6 weeks past exposure and again at 13 to confirm your results. Also the last negative result you had in February will most likely not change .
It still must be confirmed at 13 weeks.

Best, Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:58:07 am »
Hi . It was high risk. I guess my question is I tested out to 11 weeks and a few days. Would me taking valtrex the whole time Mrs up my test results. ? I can't understand how it could not since it lowers hiv RNA.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »
Valtrex in NO way would affect your test results...end of story.
Your result will officially be conclusively negative at 13 weeks.

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
Ok thanks. Now the hard part. Convincing myself I am negative. Thanks again.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 08:02:50 am »
A negative result at 13 weeks should be convincing enough, and after a negative result at 11 weeks I'm pretty sure that's what you will receive.

Wade

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 12:46:32 pm »
The information I have gotten is wrong. I just tested positive. I knew taking valtrex would and did delay my test. Valtrex lowered my viral load not a little but alot. The problem was I started taking valtrex right when I got exposed.so it kept the virus undectable. Things I don't understand.
1. It's proven and said even by this website if you read on here other positive people who have taken valtrex it lowers viral load not by a little but allot. So We need to spread the word.
2. I think if your positive it will lower viral. But not make it undectable if you have been positive for some time
I did test at 84 days it was negative. I knew I had to test again.
I'm scared and it's Sunday. I can go to doctor.
Another clue earlier I knew I had it was because I took a cd4 count at the beginning Jan and my CD 4 was 1000 and something. Then I took it again end of feb it was 465 so that means when I started valtrex again for the last two weeks in February it drop it to undectable. Cause I took hiv RNA March 4, go figure.

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:48:39 pm »
March 4 negative and undectable. Exposed Dec 9

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:20 pm »
I've read the entire thread and am just a bit confused about the central fact:  have you tested positive for HIV antibodies and has that test been confirmed in such a manner that your healthcare provider(s) has (have) already or will soon diagnose you as HIV positive and prescribe to you an antiretroviral regimen?

At this point, that seems to be the issue that matters most, debate and speculation about Valtrex aside.  What matters most to you is your health going forward.

If you are, in fact, HIV positive, I'm sorry to learn of that, but you can and will live a long and healthy life.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:29:56 pm »
. It's been tough for a few months. Would not want anyone else going through what I did. I do believe the test we have for hiv is excellent. Three months is plenty of time. Just don't take valtrex!! I did go to body.com to make sure three months and taking valtrex would not effect test. Well it definitely did. I also chatted with a doctor that did the study on valtrex and hiv and he told me it was a sensitive topic and did say yes valtrex could delay but not stop infection. I have the email. Yes 4generation by the doctor. My main concern is to get all those outdated post by the body

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 01:35:43 pm »
You have been repeatedly testing early and repeatedly told by us to test at 90+ days (13 weeks) for a result by the mod team.

If you have a problem with the body.com we can't give you a soapbox for it here.
Valtrex does not suppress the antibodies response from a HIV infection, now the RNA might be lower that much is true and we well aware of it. This and many reasons is why we don't recommend RNA testing as standalone and we also recommend taking the full testing window 13 weeks to test for antibodies as they take time to develop. If you are sexually active also yearly repeats are recommended at least.

My main concern is to get all those outdated post by the body

>:( Now I understand you have a reactive result from a 4th gen test and best you can do is go back and continue with conformation testing at this point and have the results confirmed so you can start treatment if it is indeed confirmed to be HIV.

That is your main goal, not the worrying about the thebody.com. Anyhow i do hope all goes well for you when you do the followup testing.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:48:39 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 05:01:45 pm »
I was wrong. Valtrex did not delay anything. I'm very very. sorry . I can't put into words how sorry I am. I tested negative. Thought it was positive cause I did not read my results or I should say did not understand them . Please forgive me. Also thanks for being giving me corect information and when I was very concerned I felt you were there.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 05:13:16 pm »
Glad to hear you tested negative.

Look valtrex may lower (if continuously taken) HIV levels somewhat, we know this, everybody does its old news. (Its not however a HIV treatment) However the test looks at the body's antibody response and not your HIV levels, even at low level the infection triggers the body to produce antibodies so it does not affect the validity of HIV tests (take at the correct times, manner) or the duration of the seroconversion window. Its a common enough misunderstanding and at nearly a mythical levels on the internet.

I am sorry that you had a scare, but we are all glad you are okay.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

https://www.poz.com/article/Valtrex-suppression-26962-6037
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:20:14 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:51 pm »
Hello. So I tested again with a infectious diseases doctor. It is positive and confirm. I also tested positive for heroes 2. I am taking valtrex and it is helping. Bottom line I tested April 17 and it was negative. That was 4 months past exposure and six weeks with no valtrex.  I can't live with this. I'm not strong enough or orbrave enough. My hope is that people who take valtrex know it effects HIV window period, not the test. Thanks and hopefully there will be a cure soon. I did this to myself.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 01:26:30 pm »
I'm still a bit confused by your posts, but am assuming that your most recent post asserts that you are HIV positive and that this has been confirmed.

If this is the case, I'm sorry to read of this development.

At this point, you should seek your viral load, your CD4 count, and start to be tested in order to determine the most effective antiretroviral regimen to stop the replication of the HIV in your body.

Take a deep breath, though, and know that you will be fine, once you are on treatment and adhere to it.  You will live a long and healthy life.

Meanwhile, you may wish to peruse information you can access through this link:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/newly-diagnosed
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 01:52:09 pm »
Hi

heroes 2 i presume its a typo and mean herpes type 2.?
Anyhow look as we before testing early and the results are not conclusive 

So if you have tested reactive on a recent test go back confirm the results firstly and than if so you can start talking about treatment options with your doctor.

Until than please only post in this one thread.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:57:18 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Sheridan1924

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 02:40:17 pm »
Hi. I will probably get banned from this site. I did test negative.  I took the test may 5 so that is  almost 5 months past exposure and 8 weeks no valtrex.  I just now look at the results. I'm still nervous. I had to post this cause I don't want anyone thinking wrong about there test with valtrex. Even though I am still struggling. I am a good person and I know my actions are not showing it. Once again I tested negative on the 4generationhiv  test.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 02:54:54 pm »
Yeah, you bet your arse you are banned and for good as well.

This is exactly why i moved your posts away from I just tested positive and back here, - I knew in my gut and from understanding the science you must be lying or mistaken.

Get a life and seriously start to consider some professional mental health support to help you move past this irrational fear and outright foolish behaviour.   

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.