Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:15:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 480
Total: 481

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Exposure  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Qweuiop

• Standard
Exposure
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
Hi,

1) My concern is over having two people lick my severely sunburnt ear – is sunbunt skin considered broken and is this a route for transmission via the saliva (or even blood) of a positive person? Or is sunburnt skin technically intact with only a shallow top layer that peels without affecting the skin’s ability to protect from infection?

I’ve been told my risk was non-existent but various symptoms continue to cause me concern: bad flu five and half weeks after exposure, a subsequent dry cough that lasted 8 weeks, followed by a break of 7 weeks before I picked up another cough that is now in its fifth week; and low-grade fever that feels like it has persisted for 6 months.

2) Do fourth-gen lab tests in the UK detect both 1 and 2 and other rare strains? I was told by the clinic that they do but cannot find much information online. My exposure/non-exposure was in sub-Saharan Africa.

3) I tested negative at 10 weeks through a UK lab-test (assume this is fourth-gen?). I asked to test again at 12 weeks but was advised against it because – as the doctor put it – the lab test used in the UK in practice picks up almost all infections by weeks 4-6, and certainly by week 8 – it is a combination of outdated information, legal conservatism and standardised medical testing that keeps government window pegged at 12 weeks.  Any thoughts?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Exposure
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:43:14 pm »
Licking an ear is not a risk for HIV infection.

The risk factors for HIV are ...

Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth.
Very specific healthcare situations.

Use condoms for vaginal and anal sex consistently and correctly and you will avoid HIV infection, it is that simple.

Your negative result at 10 weeks is conclusive as you never had a risk.

Joe

Offline Qweuiop

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:35 am »
Thank you for you reply.

Do you have any comments on bad sunburn as a possible route of transmission (broken skin or not) and do you know if fourth-gen tests pick up strains 1, 2 and other rare varieties?

I can accept that a no risk situation coupled with a negative result means that I am conclusively negative but these thoughts keep coming back.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:06:40 am »
Thank you for you reply.

Do you have any comments on bad sunburn as a possible route of transmission (broken skin or not) and do you know if fourth-gen tests pick up strains 1, 2 and other rare varieties?

I can accept that a no risk situation coupled with a negative result means that I am conclusively negative but these thoughts keep coming back.

The risk factors for HIV are ...

Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth.

You did not have a risk and you tested negative . The test you used test for all strains so you are covered .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Qweuiop

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:08 pm »
Hi again,

I know this isn’t a hand-holding service for hypochondriacs, so I apologise in advance for this follow-up vent. I will be seeking help to manage my irrational fixation on the idea that I have been infected and that this has been missed by modern testing and trained assessors.

While I can step back momentarily and appreciate that I am negative, as soon as I dwell on what I perceive to be symptoms I again fall into a circle of questioning my result.

My symptoms following a very short and intense flu five and a half weeks after my (non-)exposure were a chronic dry cough, what felt like a low-grade fever, and a rash underneath dry, cracked knuckles. After a classic episode of self-diagnosing through google, I convinced my self that I had been infected, went through ARS, and had already progressed to the next stage of the illness.

I tested three days after this fixation began / ten weeks and one day after my exposure. In the week between testing and receiving my result I had night sweats on two consecutive sleeps, lost close to 10% of my body weight, and generally felt unwell—in hindsight these were all likely byproducts of anxiety.

My anxiety was temporarily relieved after I received my negative result for three main reasons:

1)   my confusion over testing period windows
2)   my confusion over the test picking up all strains of the virus considering the source of my anxiety was in sub-Saharan Africa
3)   my confustions over whether or not sunburnt skin is considered broken skin/an open wound

If I may begin to answer my own questions:

1)   fourth-gen lab testing windows would certainly pick up infections post-ARS/sero-conversion (flu) had that in fact been what I went through at five and a half weeks. In any case (without bringing up the politics around window periods) they pick up all infections by the ten-week mark for those not under immunosuppressants, chemos, IV users etc.
2)   As noted by Jeff above, they do test for the rarer varieties of the disease. But does this really include all of the strains?
3)   Sunburnt skin, even if it peels or blisters, is still too shallow to be a route for transmission.

This then brings me to the point of symptoms—which I know you do not discuss. My first chronic cough lasted eight weeks roughly (my GP advised this is in line with typical recoveries from self-limiting viral infections). After a respite of around five and a half weeks, I then caught another sore throat, which left me with a cough for about three weeks. I then had a break of two days, before coming down with a sore throat, runny nose, and then a cough that is now in its third week. (I’m not sure if the second and third coughs are in fact one and the same!). My concern comes from my doctor telling me that recurring coughs and colds are a worrying symptom. I have also felt like I have had a low-grade fever ever since my flu.

It has now been 170 days since my exposure. I didn’t bother giving full details of my exposure above, since I have read through enough threads to know that me being fully clothed in the situation I was in was no risk. My fixation was only really on the issue of the sunburnt ear.

A closing point is that, following ARS, symptoms tend to disappear for a while. In my case, a persistent cough, or recurring coughs and sniffles in the period I’ve had them would likely be caused by other factors that have contributed to a weakened immune system – a few which I can think of: poor diet, a very stressful job, lack of exercise, a work environment and journey to work where I’m exposed to many different people in a confined space, and a history of sore throats, chest infections, and chronic dry coughs. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:44 pm »
Please talk to your doctor and tell them that you are having irrational fears and ask for some help with your mental health issues . We can do no more than what we have done already and that is give you the facts .

Please do not buy a subscription to continue to ask questions because as much as we would love to we can't help you . You do not have HIV ... Im wishing you the very best .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.