Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:01:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 673
Total: 674

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Women and Power  (Read 4280 times)

Offline NicoleJ

Women and Power
« on: April 15, 2008, 12:05:20 pm »
In “Ladies First” (POZ, May 2008), POZ spoke with former U.S. Assistant Surgeon General Susan Blumenthal, MD, about tackling HIV/AIDS among women around the world. In order to tackle problems like gender-based violence and reduced social and legal rights of women—all of which contribute to their vulnerability to HIV infection—Dr. Blumenthal says “we must continue to research [gender] differences with HIV/AIDS and empower women themselves…we need to intensify our efforts to ensure education and economic opportunities for women.”

POZ wants to hear your ideas about the best ways to address the specific challenges for women with HIV. Share your personal experiences here, and talk to other women about their obstacles and triumphs.

To read the full article with Dr. Blumenthal, click here: http://www.poz.com/articles/SusanBlumenthal_women_inequality_2176_14358.shtml

Offline Snowangel

Re: Women and Power
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:49:05 pm »
I don't even know where to start??

The biggest obstacle for me is the stigma and getting infected by someone who was physically, mentally and verbally abusive. 

Girls need to be taught at early age to love themselves as they are.  To have self esteem. That they don't have to have the latest fashion or fad to be accepted or beautiful.  The need to be taught communication skills.  Be able to identify the different personality types and how to deal with them in any situation ie: life in general, work, relationships.
Girls need to be taught the importance of getting an education, finding out what they really enjoy doing and doing it no matter what it is. 
I think kids need to be taught at an early age (middle school) about the importance of using condoms.  Kind of like, everytime they get in the car, they put on a seat belt, everytime they have sex, they need to put on a condom.

I think a good slogan would be:
Who needs diamonds?  Condoms are a girls best friend. ;)

Snow

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline NicoleJ

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
Thanks, Snow.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Look forward to hearing more thoughts on this. To give you all a little more info about me, I'm Nicole, an associate editor at POZ, and I work closely with Tim Horn. I worked on the story I mentioned above with Dr. Blumenthal, and after our discussion, we really felt that the topic of how to empower women, all around the world, both HIV-positive and HIV-negative, could not be left to one single page in the magazine.

I hope we can continue the discussion here.

Thanks,

Nicole

Offline TreDai

• Miss Ohio Plus America 2008
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:55:06 am »
Snow I LOVE the slogan!! I agree with everything you have said
I don't even know where to start??

The biggest obstacle for me is the stigma and getting infected by someone who was physically, mentally and verbally abusive. 

Girls need to be taught at early age to love themselves as they are.  To have self esteem. That they don't have to have the latest fashion or fad to be accepted or beautiful.  The need to be taught communication skills.  Be able to identify the different personality types and how to deal with them in any situation ie: life in general, work, relationships.
Girls need to be taught the importance of getting an education, finding out what they really enjoy doing and doing it no matter what it is. 
I think kids need to be taught at an early age (middle school) about the importance of using condoms.  Kind of like, everytime they get in the car, they put on a seat belt, everytime they have sex, they need to put on a condom.

I think a good slogan would be:
Who needs diamonds?  Condoms are a girls best friend. ;)

Snow

But also included information on being abstaining, and sticking to their guns on it.

"Our people die because of a lack of knowledge"
 Miss Ohio Plus America 2008

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.