Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:49:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 181
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: starting meds in jan.  (Read 5090 times)

Offline unclespongebob

• im the on on the right in the red shirt
starting meds in jan.
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:19:09 am »
My doc. wants me to start meds, Is there any one that is taking reyataz,intelence,and tenofovir . Is this realy early to betaking med ,when i was tested in may .

peace bobby
friends are gods way of apologizing to us for our familys. / a real friend os one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. / everybody wants to ride with you in the limo,but what you need is sombody who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down./ one friend in a lifetimeis much; two are many; three are hardly possible.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: starting meds in jan.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:24:58 am »
Bob, the fact that you tested in May is not the main consideration. You don't mention what your numbers are and that is really what you need to look at when considering whether or not to start.

Even if you have one set of numbers, unless they are in an obvious danger zone, you might want to see 2 or 3 sets of numbers, taken about 3 months apart in order to get a better idea what's going on.

There is also the school of thought to go ahead and start meds as early as possible, even if one's numbers are still very good, maybe that's what you're referring to when you say you are planning to start in January?

I'm concerned about your proposed combo, it's a little unusual and not recommended. According to aidsmeds.com, "Neither Viramune (nevirapine) nor Intelence (etravirine) should be used with Reyataz, given the likelihood of significant interactions."

Is this the combo that your doctor recommended? Have you had a resistance test? Is your doctor someone who specializes in the treatment of HIV?

LINK:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Reyataz_1563.shtml

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:24:36 pm »
I take intelence with truvada.  tenofovir + emtricitabine = truvada. 

Intelence has been kinder to me than sustiva (which, with truvada, makes "aptripla").

As with Inchling, I wonder what combination your doctor is recommending.  Surely not all three of these together.  ???

Maybe those are among the drugs being considered? 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 02:28:09 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:16:57 pm »
hey Bob!
I got your PM but thought I'd jump in here and say hey too! :D Sorry I left OH before we got to meet; but I see I got outta there just before it started getting cold. :D I just didn't want to go through any more blizzards! ROFL ;D I'll still get a chance to wear some of my winter clothes though cause I'll be back up for a short visit around Turkey Day.

to give you a good answer to your question though, I agree with the other guys, that we (and you) need to know what the results are from a set or two of blood work. Usually meds aren't started until your cd4 count is around the 350 mark. (some people are starting even sooner, in the 500 range). Did you take at look at some of the AidsMeds lessons (like the one on When to start treatment ?

Unless your numbers are really on the bad side right now, don't worry too much, because there's plenty of time for you to find out more and make a good decision on what to do.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline unclespongebob

• im the on on the right in the red shirt
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:55:13 pm »
thanks guys for the advice on the meds my tcell was 553 and the viral load was 54k back in july not surewhat my new #'s are when i went on the 19th of oct . hey mikie when u come up for thanksgiving let me know we can get together for a drink
friends are gods way of apologizing to us for our familys. / a real friend os one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. / everybody wants to ride with you in the limo,but what you need is sombody who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down./ one friend in a lifetimeis much; two are many; three are hardly possible.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 08:51:39 pm »
Well you didn't really clarify if that is the suggested combo, or a list of drugs you might possible be offered.  the combo is unusual.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:14:39 pm »
my tcell was 553 and the viral load was 54k back in july
though you know what they say about "assuming" (it makes an ASS outta U and ME :D ), I'm going to make a couple of assumptions based on what you've passed along.

I would assume that as time passed (and your not taking meds yet) that your VL went up some more, so your doctor is probably looking to have you start meds on the early side, since your VL isn't too terribly high. And since he's not planning anything until Jan, I would also assume that your numbers didn't change too drastically (your tcell count is probably still high enough, like >350), so it does sound like you have time to think about what meds you should take.

Are you seeing an Infectious Disease doctor? Did he discuss a "resistance test"? There are different options you can take right now and having the right doctor and knowing which meds will work for you sure can help figure when and what meds to start on.

not sure what my new #'s are when i went on the 19th of oct
I've got a sure-fire cure to fix that ;), cause it's exactly what I do so I can remember (coming up on nearly 20 yrs of numbers I've had over 50 sets of lab work done and I had to have some way to keep all my test numbers together and track them)

there's a section here at AidsMeds that will store you test date, tcell count and viral load. (at the top it's under TREATMENT, Graph Your Labs ) Once you enter and save your data, it's always available wherever there's an internet connection. Plus, there's a cool graph function ;) so you can see how the trend is going.

that's one of the best ways to really track how you're doing against the HIV - by the trend. Sometimes individual test results (for tcells) can be kinda screwy cause so many things can affect them, so it's best to judge those on how they are over several different test dates.

What I do, is look at the data here, and write down my last counts before I go to the doc. I add any questions or problems to that list. Then when the doc gives me my new results, I can compare these results to the old ones and discuss the trend in my results. Plus, I not only write down my new counts, but I can discuss any of those questions or problems I wrote down on my list.  As soon as I get back home, I enter the new data into the online list, and check out the new graph to see how I'm doing.

Hopefully, you can see that small graph below my signature line. (if it's a red "x", right click over it and click show picture) That's a tiny version of the chart I made when I got back from my new doctor just a few days ago with the first numbers I got in SC. ;D

That chart tracks all my numbers since I was in the hospital nearly 12 years ago. You can see when I was doing really bad years ago, going on and off meds (all those spikey parts - that's a "bad" trend) and how good the newer meds have been doing for me (by that red and green line holding steady and not crossing paths - that's a GREAT trend)

hey mikie when u come up for thanksgiving let me know we can get together for a drink
I've had a devil of a time getting human services to close out my case, so I drove up two weeks ago (6 hrs up and 6 hrs back) and bought $350 worth of groceries with my Ohio food stamps. I just crossed over the river and stopped at the walmart in Marietta, so I didn't get to go all the way up to Canton to see any of my friends. We're planning another trip up just before Thanksgiving and will be in town most of a weekend. As soon as I know what date for sure (and my Mom better be making her mind up soon, Turkey Day is fast approaching  :D) I'll let you know.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.