Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:02:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 457
Total: 460

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: KP1461  (Read 8243 times)

Offline mark86

KP1461
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:58 am »
This looked so promising at one point then died a death very quickly. Its a been a while now, anyone know how if there has been an investigation into how it got so far before being discovered to have no effect what so ever?

Thanks,
Mark86

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: KP1461
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:23 pm »
The study was stopped due to "stunning setbacks,"

http://www.projectinform.org/news/2008/061208.shtml

Offline georgep77

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 01:16:32 am »
KP1461 was a joke  >:(
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline veritas

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:57:39 am »

georgep77,

I agree with you.  From day one I did not trust this drug. No one answered the question that if it didn't work. what regimen could you put together after having all those mutations.

Some researches have no morals !!

veritas

Offline tash08

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 10:42:31 am »
KP-1461 looks like both thymine and cytosine, and will occasionally replace one of the normal bases in DNA, causing more errors.

"It really mucks up the genetic information inside the viral DNA," said Reno.
Disrupting HIV's replication doesn't directly destroy the virus, however, at least not immediately. It's the build-up of genetic mistakes that finally destroys it.

That build-up can take time, and could vary depending on the patient and the strain of HIV. The results of the latest Phase Two clinical trial, completed last year with 13 patients, were mixed; some patients saw no drop in their viral load, while others saw a dramatic drop. The scientists are currently working to publish the study results.

What's clear is that KP-1461 does eventually destroy HIV in some patients, unlike the current batch of antiretroviral drugs, which limit the reproduction of the virus but fail to destroy it.

KP-1461 doesn't have any known side effects, but the worry from the Food and Drug Administration is that a drug that induces mutation in a virus could also cause dangerous mutations in the patient's own DNA.

So far it doesn't appear to cause short-term mutations in animal models, but longer-term studies are necessary to eliminate the possibility, said Robert Smith, a professor at the University of Washington who studies other lethal mutagenic drugs.

Mutagenic drugs could be used to fight other diseases as well, such as polio, hepatitis C and influenza. KP-1461 is at the forefront of this new avenue of research.

"Intellectually this is exciting; it's a very creative approach," said Smith. "From a practical perspective, there are still a lot of questions."

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/02/09/hiv-mutation.html

01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline veritas

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 08:43:53 am »

tash08,

That article gives me additional reasons for not taking KP1461 !

veritas

Offline mark86

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 05:43:42 pm »
It sounds like we are saying that KP-1461 is very much alive and undergoing testing right now. Have i read it right ???

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:40:46 pm »
two articles above and both contradict eachother !!!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:59 am »
The Koronis web site just says they're still looking into the results, but provide no details. 

I'm guessing it's dead.  They originally said two months to analyze everything and it's been much longer.  I'm wondering if maybe they're just getting desperate for funding and have decided to give KP1461 another go-round in the press.

I thought I had read that a Chinese company was also working on a similar line of research, but I can't seem to find any more info on it.  Perhaps it also bit the dust.

Offline georgep77

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 11:54:29 am »
KP1461 was a joke  >:(
I agreed with you georgep77  ;D
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:54:54 pm »
I thought I had read that a Chinese company was also working on a similar line of research, but I can't seem to find any more info on it.  Perhaps it also bit the dust.

I would be interested to get the link  ;D

So far, the only recent publication I have find in a chinese website and about this "drug" is on this website:
http://www.popscichina.com/html/zazhizhuanqu/xin/2009/0224/453.html

What is said there is old stuff, despite the fact that the article itself is recent.
It's content is a translation of the article published on discovery.

It is indeed surprising that some are still talking about this past drug.

Now, if I could give a personal opinion on this drug, I won't say it's bullshit:

The concept is great, and there are no reasons (nor evidences) that a "super mutation" won't mutate itself again.
I can personally imagine that the mutations will continue until the virus die, unable to replicate again.

INMHO either this research haven't been push enough far (could it be by changing the drug composition), or there is something that we are hidding to us:  the way this research have ended is more than suspect.

EDIT: My crap English, as usual..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:33:36 pm by John2038 »

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 07:47:54 pm »
if this drug that was mentioned years back vanish -which was a clear messae that their technique was not sufficient enough to come up with stong conclusion or positive remarks,then why is it resurfacing again with ambigoius and vague resutls.is this just playing with our feeling,us who had many disappoionting studys failing in the past?

i just dont get it ?!!!

peace
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.