Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:29:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37695
  • Latest: X20
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773552
  • Total Topics: 66385
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 296
Total: 299

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: SF AIDS walk? Or big corporate party?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline March28

SF AIDS walk? Or big corporate party?
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »
So I ventured out to SF (a few hours away from home) to participate in my first AIDS walk yesterday.

I expected it to be a day of information, stories, great speakers, and really hoped that I would be able to connect with other people or social services in the area to help me process and cope.

Instead, it was just a sea of massive corporate tents with their private breakfasts, a few speakers who almost awkwardly seemed to avoid actually saying the words AIDS or HIV, and a crummy cover band at the finish line.

I totally get that corporate money is crucial for NPOs to function, but it just felt....awkward. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been to this one and if I'm misreading what I experienced? Maybe there were service booths I didn't find? It all left just a really bad taste in my mouth for some reason that I can't quite find words for.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: SF AIDS walk? Or big corporate party?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:28 am »
I expected it to be a day of information, stories, great speakers, and really hoped that I would be able to connect with other people or social services in the area to help me process and cope.

Instead, it was just a sea of massive corporate tents with their private breakfasts, a few speakers who almost awkwardly seemed to avoid actually saying the words AIDS or HIV, and a crummy cover band at the finish line.

....if I'm misreading what I experienced?
I'd say you misread the event, not your experience. Most "walks" (for whatever disease or cause) are simply fund raising events, with the main focus being the walk itself.... as the money comes from pledges based on the people/miles in the walk.

For example, we recently had an AIDS walk in Charlotte NC. It started with an hour of registration, donations, and several booths. While I helped run the CLT TGA Ryan White program's table (by giving out swag and info), and my provider had an info booth (with swag and info) all the other two dozen tables were corporate sponsors giving out their branded swag or registration tables.

Then there was a 3 minute speaker and the walk began. there was a band playing when we returned from walking around downtown, and a 10 minute recognition program and speaker. I was taking down our table and most people were walking back to their cars; but a fair amount of people stayed for that closing ceremony.

bingo-bango. from starting out by setting up our info table till the police took down the barricades to allow traffic to flow again, the whole shebang lasted from about 8am till noon.

Upper left: the incredible Ryan White CLT TGA table volunteers
Upper Right: My hubby :-* , the RW Quality Management Director  ;) , and me  8)
Lower Left: me and my honey about to start the walk
Lower Right: about 1/3 of the CLT RW TGA Quality Committee

so while I don't think you understood what the walk experience might be like, I do have to agree with your impressions of it. it should be a day of information, stories, great speakers, and ways to connect with other people or social services in the area (we were certainly explaining the Ryan White Care Act to a lot of people who had no clue); but I think the event is less than that because it's more of a fund-raising/awareness event. I think it takes a grab bag of events to have everything on your list. Pride events and parades often have information and ways to connect. Advocacy events have info, ways to connect, stories, and great speakers. Health fairs have info and ways to connect. Support groups have info, stories and ways to connect.

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline March28

Re: SF AIDS walk? Or big corporate party?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:14:19 am »
Thanks for the perspective :)

I'm really engaged in a lot of marches for political activity, and used to be pretty fairly involved in Relay for Life and I guess I just expected it to be more like those events. I'll keep searching around for my people/events lol :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.