Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Still Losing weight?????  (Read 22101 times)

Offline Paulette

Still Losing weight?????
« on: November 23, 2007, 09:25:42 am »
Hi All
I've been on Marinol Now for over two years; I eat most of the time, I take supplements, I'm up to five meals a day, which i can say that most of the time i make myself eat, I'm not gaining any weight.  I'm down to 119.5 and i used to weight 154 which looked really good for someone who is 5'7 and I quit working out and all i do now is walk, but still no weight gain. Slowly wasting away and even though everyone around me says i look fine.  This is scary to me. It's not normal for a 37 yr old to weight the same thing she did at 18.  People tell me your luckie, but i don't feel that way. My doctor is a little concerned. evertime i gain a pound i end up losing two.  What else can i do? I'm not into fried foods, sweets, and I'm not much of a meat eater :P. If any one has any suggestion please feel free to comment. I'm up to about 2000 Cal's a day. I drink carnation Instant Breakfast every morning and I stay away from low-fat products.
I'm currently taken Norvir,Truvada,and Reyataz. Could this be a side effect of that?
Please Help

Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: Still Losing weight?????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:47:37 pm »
Hi Paulette,

being given your age (37), current weight (54 kg) and height (152 cm) and sex, your daily calorie intake to maintain your weight should be (if you were neg):

Sport/prof activity  /  daily kcal intake

None:            1800 kCal/d
Moderate        2050 kCal/d
More:             2200 kCal/d
High:              2450 kCal/d

As your immune system is working harder (poz) to fight the virus, your daily calories intake must be taken into account.
The meds have also an effect.

You might want to try increasing your daily calories intake to compensate the additional deficit due to your status.
I suppose that with something like 2500-3000 kCal/d, you should gain 0-2 kg/month depending on the type of food.

It doesn't matter how accurate is this estimation. Instead, just eat a bit more, and see how it impact your weight.

Good luck and don't worry. I have personally worry for a lot of different reasons during the 2 last months (fearing various health issues) but fortunately the symptoms have disappears.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:57:06 am »
Hey Paulette,

I hear you, dear. My weight was static for many, many years. I stayed at 158 pounds for nearly 30 years. It never varied more than five pounds either way.

I am a 5'11" tall man. I was, in a word, skinny.

I finally started gaining weight this year when I turned 50 and quit smoking.

Has your doc discussed any malabsorbsion issues with you? In other words, is your body getting to use the food you eat or is it just passing through?

You say you don't like to eat meat much. OK,  how about cheese? That is a good protein source and its high in calories. Dairy products in general are high calorie, so that might be an avenue to explore.

Are there any other issues, such as gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance that are playing into this?

Some people are just naturally thin. That may be something you may have to face as well.

How about adding Slimfast shakes to a meal. Don't drink them instead of a meal, add them to it. That often works and is a lot cheaper than Ensure, Boost or any of the other supplements.

Let us know how things go.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline FIARgmc

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:32:47 am »
First, ALWAYS read labels..for example, I agree with Mark--Ensure is really a crap supplement. The first ingredients are water and sugar. To that, they add crap fats and homeopathic levels of vitamins and minerals.

Sorry to say, but just looking at carnation's stuff and it isn't much better. 25% of RDA for vitamins is negligible and the ingredients aren't so great (see below).

By contrast, a protein powder like whey or possibly fermented soy or rice would be much better protein sources. For fats, better to eat things like fish (baked, not fried, but I'll bet you know that!). There are some data on whey proteins, particularly older data showing a reversal of failure to thrive in HIV+ kids--and it can be relatively cheap. My favorite is Ultimate Balance which I use.

Otherwise, I think Mark has the right idea--get enough calories from excellent sources, continue the exercise. Resistance exercise I think makes sense to help maintain lean tissue. Even just some push ups and situps every day can help, I think--though there may be other data on forms of exercise. (I know there are some comparing resistance training with aerobic exercise.)

Next, check your testosterone level--women have testosterone, albeit less than men (who also have estrogen). There may be some metabolic factors going on that can contribute to weight loss (which I take is occurring without diarrhea).

Also check your supplement list for things that may be fat burning. Women may benefit from the use of a drug like Megace that can add some fat weight, which women with HIV need a bit more than men do -- in addition to the lean tissue.

I hope these thoughts are helpful (and not too repetitive!!)
George M. Carter

Offline FIARgmc

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:34:29 am »
Oops--forgot: here's the Carnation ingredients for their vanilla product:

INGREDIENTS:: NONFAT MILK, WATER, SUGAR, COMPLETE MILK PROTEIN, AND LESS THAN 2% OF CORN OIL, MALTODEXTRIN, NATURAL & ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS (CONTAIN BARLEY), MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, DATEM, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ASCORBATE (VITAMIN C), CARRAGEENAN, SALT, POTASSIUM IODIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON), VITAMIN E ACETATE, NIACINAMIDE, SUCRALOSE, COPPER GLUCONATE, ZINC OXIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE (PANTOTHENIC ACID), MANGANESE SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, PHYLLOQUINONE (VITAMIN K), VITAMIN D3, VITAMIN B12.

Not nearly as bad as Ensugar...but still high in sugar--and the whey component of milk may be more important than the casein.
George

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:45:56 am »
hummus, dates, avocados?  :)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 11:51:16 am »
Agreed, Ensure and varieties like that are crap.  When I had two wasting episodes I swore by EAS Myoplex which you can find in a bodybuilding type store.  The company was kind of new then and I know they have some other variations now, but Myoplex once you blended it with whole milk in a blender was like a thick milkshake... mix in some fruit and it's very tasty, plus it has more protein and carbs then you'll likely to get in a meal, so that's one extra meal in your body each day.

However, it's not as cheap as Ensure.

I was also on bi-weekly doctor administered testosterone shots which helped immensely, but I don't know how that works with women.  Combined with weight training I went from 142 lbs. to 175 lbs. in about 7 months I think (I'm 6 ft. tall).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:53:35 am by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Paulette

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 12:15:14 pm »
Agreed, Ensure and varieties like that are crap.  When I had two wasting episodes I swore by EAS Myoplex which you can find in a bodybuilding type store.  The company was kind of new then and I know they have some other variations now, but Myoplex once you blended it with whole milk in a blender was like a thick milkshake... mix in some fruit and it's very tasty, plus it has more protein and carbs then you'll likely to get in a meal, so that's one extra meal in your body each day.

However, it's not as cheap as Ensure.

I was also on bi-weekly doctor administered testosterone shots which helped immensely, but I don't know how that works with women.  Combined with weight training I went from 142 lbs. to 175 lbs. in about 7 months I think (I'm 6 ft. tall).
But won't the testosterone shots cause me to grow facial hair and make my voice deepen like a mans? just wonderind because someone else recently suggested that as well.

thank all of you for your suggestions i start seeing a nutritionist next week so maybe she cam help get my weight loss under control, seeing that i can't do it all by myself.
wish me luck ;)
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 12:39:23 pm »
Paulette, like I said I don't know how it effects a woman.  It's NOT an amount like a bodybuilder uses, I can tell you that.  At the same time I've not ever heard of a female on it, but I don't personally know that many women with HIV so I'm not a great source of information (other than on this board... there are tons at my cllinic but I just don't know them personally).  Still, if I were you I'd say to my HIV doctor, "I know that testosterone supplementation is used in HIV+ males during wasting, what is used for women?" -- frankly I still don't quite understand why your doctor hasn't offered more constructive suggestions on addressing this, and that concerns me.  Are you certain that you are being adamant enough with him?  Sometimes one must really be insistent with these people, in my experience, and of course it varies from doctor to doctor.

Offline FIARgmc

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 01:13:48 pm »
Philly is right (lots of good thoughts here). There's actually some data on this--and indeed, low testosterone in women may also be associated with low bone mineral density. Something like a testoterone gel or cream, smaller amounts applied than men, may be an approach to consider. Some abstracts below.

Another agent to consider is DHEA in high doses, as has been studied by Judith Rabkin and team. At the doses they used (something like 200 or 400 mg - the abstract isn't so clear on it so I'm just relying on memory of a presentation she gave at Columbia), it may have some small impact on increasing testosterone levels. In general, though, DHEA is not as effective for that as a testosterone patch or injection.
George M. Carter

J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007 Jun 1;45(2):161-7.Click here to read Links
    Effects of weight, body composition, and testosterone on bone mineral density in HIV-infected women.
    Dolan SE, Carpenter S, Grinspoon S.

Program in Nutritional Metabolism and Neuroendocrine Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA.

Recent studies suggest that bone loss occurs among HIV-infected women. This study examined the effects of reduced androgen levels, changes in weight, body composition, and menstrual dysfunction on bone mineral density (BMD) among 152 HIV-infected women characterized by normal weight (>90% ideal body weight [IBW], n = 124) and low weight (<or=90% IBW, n = 28) compared with 100 non-HIV-infected control subjects. BMD was assessed by dual x-ray absorptiometry, and free testosterone was assessed by equilibrium dialysis. Abdominal subcutaneous adipose tissue (SAT) and visceral adipose tissue (VAT) were determined by computed tomography scan. A significant difference was seen in BMD between groups at the lumbar spine (0.92 +/- 0.02 g/cm vs. 1.01 +/- 0.01 g/cm vs. 1.07 +/- 0.01 g/cm; P < 0.0001), total hip (0.84 +/- 0.03 g/cm vs. 0.94 +/- 0.01 g/cm vs. 0.98 +/- 0.01 g/cm; P < 0.0001), and femoral neck (0.73 +/- 0.03 g/cm vs. 0.83 +/- 0.01 g/cm vs. 0.87 +/- 0.01 g/cm; P < 0.0001) (HIV-infected low-weight group, HIV-infected normal-weight group, and non-HIV-infected control subjects, respectively, for each comparison; mean +/- SEM). Among the HIV-infected subjects, lumbar BMD correlated with percent IBW (r = 0.37, P < 0.0001), total body lean mass (r = 0.43, P < 0.0001), total body fat mass (r = 0.35, P < 0.0001), and SAT (r = 0.41, P < 0.0001), but not VAT (r = 0.07, P = 0.417). Clinical risk factors for osteopenia and osteoporosis in the HIV population identified in univariate analysis included low free testosterone (<1.1 pg/mL [lower limit of the normal range of free testosterone for women] or 3.8 pmol/L; P = 0.0007), low weight (P = 0.014), and oligomenorrhea (P = 0.0006). In multivariate regression analysis, lean body mass was most significantly associated with BMD among those with HIV. These data demonstrate that BMD is reduced among HIV-infected women in association with low weight, reduced lean mass, reduced androgen levels, and abnormal menstrual function.

Int J Impot Res. 2003 Aug;15 Suppl 4:S21-5.Click here to read Links
    Role of testosterone in maintaining lean body mass and bone density in HIV-infected patients.
    Dobs A.

Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA. adobs@jhmi.edu

Low testosterone levels are common in both men and women with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and may contribute to loss of lean body mass and AIDS wasting. Causes of low testosterone levels are complex and may include chronic illness, HIV infection and its complications, medications used to treat HIV and opportunistic diseases, and normal aging-related declines. In the majority of studies addressing the use of testosterone treatment in HIV-infected patients, testosterone has been found to help prevent loss of lean body and muscle mass. Whether the combination of exercise and testosterone is more effective in preventing loss of lean body mass than either therapy alone is not yet clear and warrants further study. In addition to its effects on body composition, testosterone treatment results in improved mood and libido in HIV-infected women and increased bone mineral density in HIV-infected men. Testosterone may thus make a valuable contribution to the treatment of HIV-infected individuals.International Journal of Impotence Research (2003) 15, Suppl 4, S21-S25. doi:10.1038/sj.ijir.3901032

Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2003 Jul;58(7):489-500.Click here to read Links
    Transdermal testosterone for women: a new physiological approach for androgen therapy.
    Mazer NA, Shifren JL.

Department of Medical Affairs, Watson Laboratories, Inc., 417 Wakara Way, Suite 100, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA.

Transdermal testosterone patches and topically applied gels have become well accepted for the treatment of testosterone deficiency in men and are currently being developed in appropriate dosage strengths for androgen therapy in women. The furthest developed among these products is an investigational testosterone matrix patch which is now in phase III clinical trials for the treatment of sexual dysfunction in oophorectomized and naturally menopausal women. This review article discusses the biopharmaceutical rationale for the transdermal delivery of testosterone to women, illustrates and quantitatively analyzes the pharmacokinetics and metabolism of the testosterone matrix patch and a recently investigated testosterone gel, and summarizes the efficacy and safety data that have been reported in phase II studies of the testosterone matrix patch in surgically menopausal women with sexual dysfunction and HIV-infected women with the AIDS wasting syndrome. The different effects of oral and transdermal estrogen therapy (ET) on the concentrations of total and free testosterone attained with the testosterone matrix patch are contrasted. Although still in development, transdermal testosterone therapy appears to be a promising new approach for providing physiologically based androgen therapy to women.

Am J Psychiatry. 2006 Jan;163(1):59-66.Click here to read Links
    Placebo-controlled trial of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) for treatment of nonmajor depression in patients with HIV/AIDS.
    Rabkin JG, McElhiney MC, Rabkin R, McGrath PJ, Ferrando SJ.

New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10032, USA. jgr1@columbia.edu

OBJECTIVE: Subsyndromal major depressive disorder is common among HIV-positive adults. This study was designed to assess the efficacy of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) as a potential treatment. METHOD: One hundred forty-five patients with subsyndromal depression or dysthymia were randomly assigned to receive either DHEA or placebo; 90% (69 of 77) of the DHEA patients and 94% (64 of 68) of the placebo patients completed the 8-week trial. The primary measure of efficacy was a Clinical Global Impression improvement rating of 1 or 2 (much or very much improved) plus a final Hamilton Depression Rating Scale score <or=8. Outcome was assessed by using intent-to-treat analysis, followed by completer analysis. Safety was assessed by queries about side effects at every study visit plus measures of CD4 cell count and HIV RNA viral load at baseline and week 8. DHEA dosing was flexible (100-400 mg/day). RESULTS: On the basis of clinicians' ratings, DHEA was superior in the intent-to-treat analysis, where the response rate was 56% (43 of 77) for the DHEA group versus 31% (21 of 68) for the placebo group. In the completer analysis, the response rate was 62% (43 of 69) for the DHEA group, compared to 33% (21 of 64) for the placebo patients. The number needed to treat was 4 on the basis of intent-to-treat data and 3.4 on the basis of completer data. Few adverse events were reported in either treatment group, and no significant changes in CD4 cell count or HIV RNA viral load were observed in either group. CONCLUSIONS: Nonmajor but persistent depression is common in patients with HIV/AIDS, and DHEA appears to be a useful treatment that is superior to placebo in reducing depressive symptoms. The low attrition rate in this group of physically ill patients, together with requests for extended open-label treatment, reflect high acceptance of this readily available intervention.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 01:22:15 pm »
I second Philly about the Myoplex shakes.  I love those things...especially the strawberry kind. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline kitty1

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 07:02:52 pm »
Try megace. My doctor put me on it a year ago and i gained a significant amount of weight.  i went from 118lb to 160lb in a few months.  When she took me off of it I stayed at 155lb.  I want to take some more but she wont let me.  She says being 5,7 I should be in the range of 135lb but I am black we believe in having meat on our bones.  Want to gain more.

But the thing is on megace you gain more fat than muscle.  Titties will get huge and your stomach too.  I have since shrank.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:48:58 pm »
Megace looks like a really good solution.  I've never heard of that. 

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:22 am »
But won't the testosterone shots cause me to grow facial hair and make my voice deepen like a mans? just wonderind because someone else recently suggested that as well.

low dose oxandrolone pill (lower androgenic effect compared to testosterone gel or shot) is usually prescribed for women in testosterone replacement therapy.

you can ask doc about Cyproheptadine, its an antihistamine that is also used to stimulate appetite.

Offline knowdifferent

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 11:47:01 am »
Paulette,

I got great results from protein shakes and a tonic I mix up with my meals and some good bacteria.  I went from 150 lbs to 170 lbs in a few months while continuing to exercise.

TO BUILD MUSCLE:
Biochem Ultimate Lo Carb Whey Protein Powder.  I get it online at vitacost.com.  The vanilla tastes like a milkshake (if you mix it with milk) and it's sweetened with stevia, so it's better for you than chemical sweetners or sugar.  They also have a greens and whey, which is not the best tasting shake I've ever had, but it's like adding a greens super food to the shake.  That's the one I take.

TO REPLACE FAT:
Take half of a lemon and cut it into small pieces and put into a blender; rind and all.  Add one tablespoon of flax seed oil and 8 or so ounces of orange juice and blend until it's smooth like a shake.  Then pour it through a strainer and drink it.  I do one with every meal, or three times a day.  A good quality flax seed oil is very a healthy source of fat, omega 3's and lignans.  I use Barleans.  Make sure to wash the lemons well since you're using the skin too.  I saw a noticeable difference in my skin, too.  If you don't have time to do one at every meal then just use a whole lemon in the morning with 2 T of oil and about 12 oz of juice.

Another thing is a really good probiotic...and they're not all made the same.  In fact, with a compromised immune system, we need to be very careful when we choose a probiotic.  Natren's Healthy Trinity is the best of the best.  It retails very expensive, but you can find it online at a better price.   www.hardbodynutrition.com has a good price and they "cold ship."   It needs to be refrigerated.

These things work and they're in line with a healthy diet.  Good luck  ;)

Offline beachbum86

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 03:01:29 pm »
Hi All
I've been on Marinol Now for over two years; I eat most of the time, I take supplements, I'm up to five meals a day, which i can say that most of the time i make myself eat, I'm not gaining any weight.  I'm down to 119.5 and i used to weight 154 which looked really good for someone who is 5'7 and I quit working out and all i do now is walk, but still no weight gain. Slowly wasting away and even though everyone around me says i look fine.  This is scary to me. It's not normal for a 37 yr old to weight the same thing she did at 18.  People tell me your luckie, but i don't feel that way. My doctor is a little concerned. evertime i gain a pound i end up losing two.  What else can i do? I'm not into fried foods, sweets, and I'm not much of a meat eater :P. If any one has any suggestion please feel free to comment. I'm up to about 2000 Cal's a day. I drink carnation Instant Breakfast every morning and I stay away from low-fat products.
I'm currently taken Norvir,Truvada,and Reyataz. Could this be a side effect of that?
Please Help

Paulette
hi, i am on the same combo of meds for about a year now and have had the same problem.  i was put on marinol for about six months and it didnt help at all. i was just skin and bones(looked really sick). my doctor put me on a liquid med called MEGACE ES in nov. of 07 and i have successfully gained all my weight back plus an extra 15 lb. it tastes really nasty but it works. ask your dr. about it. the only side effect ive had from it is gaining weight. i hope for the best for you. let me know how it goes.
Beachbum

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 05:17:04 pm »
I'm on the same combo. I'm not currently having any weight problems aside from being heavier than I'd like to be.
In the mid 90's I had waisting. 5'9 and at my lowest 110 lbs. I am now between 155 and 160.

I'm not going to suggest you follow suit by all means what I did was very unhealthy. But the way I gained weight was overeating due to depression. I guess I started binge eating in 1999 when my husband got to sick to be sexual.
I ate the worst foods. Hotdogs, ramen noodles, if it was fatty I craved it.

Now if I could skim some of it off without affecting other areas that would be awesome. LOL

I'm sure someone already said this but I bet GNC or some other health food store would have a supplement you could add to your shakes to make them more fatty and higher in protein.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 02:49:38 am »
Hi. Thanks for the info on Megace. Does the Megace also plumb up your face? How does it work? Does it make you eat more or will it just help you gain weight more easily?

I used to be fairly muscular but now am lean muscular, although I still get compliments for my physique. The problem is my face. It has lost weight and it shows. Wasting away there. I eat tons and as and when I'm hungry but still has problems. Any idea? Maybe I should stuff 2 lemons into my cheeks. Just a thought.  ;D
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline beachbum86

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 11:42:14 am »
Hi. Thanks for the info on Megace. Does the Megace also plumb up your face? How does it work? Does it make you eat more or will it just help you gain weight more easily?

I used to be fairly muscular but now am lean muscular, although I still get compliments for my physique. The problem is my face. It has lost weight and it shows. Wasting away there. I eat tons and as and when I'm hungry but still has problems. Any idea? Maybe I should stuff 2 lemons into my cheeks. Just a thought.  ;D
yes it does plump up your face. it makes me eat and its easier to gain weight. now i have control of my weight when i used to just waist away. lol or two lemons would work....
Beachbum

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:30 pm »
Merlin:  I would advise reading the literature on Megace. 
http://www.drugs.com/pro/megace.html
First: weight gain is a side effect of the drug.  Its used to treat certain cancers.
Second: if you have kidney problems its not recommended
Third: it alters hormones...and can cause impotence.

But....I know people who have used it to gain weight.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Merlin

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 04:07:20 am »
Thanks bear60 for the link. Much appreciated. Pretty standard stuff. Moderation will be key. Thanks beachbum86 for the up & up. If it just makes one eat more, then it's no difference to what I'm already doing. Unless the Megace drug modifys something inside to allow better absorption or repair a damaged mitochondria, I'm not sure it can help. I'll check up more before deciding. I'm not on meds yet. Been feeling really fatugued this past year. Looks like I'm fading away day by day. Sigh. Think maybe a lemon fizz with volka will jazz me up a bit. :P

Drink up everyone. :-*

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 03:20:57 pm »
Hi Paulette:
Better late than never, I have not been in forum for several weeks.  Norvit (Ritonavir) is one drug that caused weight loss dramatically in me.  Be it lipoatrophy or wasting when I switched to Lexiva and supplements I gained 20 pounds.  It might be an individual thing but my I.D. doc said Norvir is known to cause weight loss.
Good luck
Ron
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline 40hrs

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 04:56:22 pm »
My Dr is wanting to start me on marinol or megace, I have been losing weight and they are concerned, anyone with any advice as to which might be the best or any other things i could try to help put back on a few lbs????
Thanks

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 05:50:40 pm »
Hotdogs, icecream, sodas and ramen noodles worked in making my scrawny ass into a bubble butt.  :P

Offline Merlin

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 08:08:09 pm »
I'm with you Winiroo. I eat everything. I used to avoid chicken skin and meat fats and ice cream, to keep my muscular physique. These days, whatever I eat, the fats disappear so fast I basically have nothing to worry about. The only thing that seems to make me waste more is stress and lack of sleep.

Lost quite a bit of weight recently. As you guys can see, I haven't been posting for some months now. My precious girl (pup) had to undergo 2 surgeries for pyo. Both the costs and risks took alot outta me. I felt sick frequently from managing her pain prior and post surgeries. She's still not fully recovered yet. Had a good mind to sue the damn vet for even needing a second corrective op had the first been done properly. I dun even wanna imagine a 3rd now. >:( Really hope she gets well soon as I really dunno how I'll cope otherwise.

So, at least from me first hand, stress and lack of sleep can also contribute to weight loss, especially when one is taking care of oneself and another. Get sufficient rest, excercise and eat sensibly; dun be too picky, just eat. ;)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline kitty1

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30:37 pm »
I had wasted myself to 118 lbs. My doctor put on me on magace and I am 173lb now and am your height.  You cant go wrong woth magace.  Talk to your doctor about it.  I heard marinol is not as effective.  I still have some left and i decided i didnt want to add anymore weight cuz itis getting expensive changing my wardrobe.

Offline gemstone

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:16 am »
Hey I get most of my calories after 9pm... I think is has something to do with smoking the weed.... :D

In the past 3 months i have lost about 40 lbs from MAC in the digestive system and I usually have no appetite but I resort to the nightly weed session about an hour before bed ( it really helps with nausea, headaches, and falling asleep cause the pain in the hands and feet seem to get worse at night) and I eat and eat and eat.... LOL

Maybe I am not gaining to much right now but I sure think the extra 2000 calories I am getting at night is definately slowing down the weight loss for me...

I'm not trying to promote weed smoking as a solution, just sharing my personal experience...  ;D

gem
"A wise girl knows her limits, A smart girl knows she has none"

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 11:14:56 am »
I gained 20 pounds of lean muscle in about 8 weeks after being diagnosed with lipoatrophy due to HAART. 
The most important factor was i decided to go on a treatment interuption and use my knowledge of supplements to create a anabolic environment conducive for muscle growth.I use a wide range of supplements in the correct combinations but i consider the use of the omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids combined with CLA as the most crucial components for weight gain.
For the omega 3 i use 2 capsules of fish oil with each meal.Each capsule contains 1 gram of fish oil.
For the omega 6 i use 1 capsule of borage oil with each meal.Each capsule contains 1 gram of borage oil.
For CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) i use 1 gram with each meal.
In addition i use 250 milligrams of niacin a day in the form of niacinamide,just in case the cholesterol and triglyceride levels attempt to go into a higher range while supplementing with the fish oil.A positive side effect of all of this is that i have not had a decrease in my cd4 counts in 2 years and get to continue my treatment interuption.If you are currently on HAART consult your doctor before considering using vitamins,minerals,herbs or supplements in case of possible interactions with HAART.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:50:55 am by Lorenzopier »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 09:05:01 pm »
Anyone who thinks about using supplements should first check with their doctor and pharmacist for med interactions/harmful effects.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.