Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:53:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 185
Total: 185

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An intro  (Read 6016 times)

Offline littleprince

An intro
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:54:09 am »
I've been reading posts in this forum for the last few weeks and thought it about time to introduce myself.

I was diagnosed 2.5 months ago. Like everything I had to do it the hard way. Sick as a dog starting 4 months ago eventually finding out I had a pretty good case of PCP which then lead onto the HIV testing. The PCP explained why I couldn't breathe if I walked more than 2 meters, had zero energy and some pretty rockin fevers and rigors. A collapsed lung a few days later put into intensive care for a few days. In total I was in hospital for 4 weeks mainly because of the collapsed lung.

Lab results came back with CD4 <10 and viral load 800,000. Of course my ID Dr wasted no time getting me onto meds and all the prophylactics. I pretty much though at this point that it would be impossible to recover to any worthwhile numbers. 2 weeks on antivirals my CD4 was 10 (at least better than <10) but viral load 717. It was then that I thought that maybe these drugs may actually work.

2 weeks after release from hospital I was readmitted unable to breathe again and more fevers. Finally given a diagnosis of IRS from the PCP. A good whack of prednisone (and another 5 days in hospital) has me on the mend again but boy is that stuff nasty. I think I'm more worried about it than the HIV. Thankfully I'm on a fast taper and will be off it soon.

Out of all of this I actually consider myself quite lucky. I've had no side effects to talk about to any of the meds (knock on wood) and the antivirals are working well. After 6 weeks on meds my CD4 is 90 and viral load 117. Not great numbers but definitely going in the right direction. It actually made my day when told my CD4 count. I think I'm the only person to be happy to be told you have a CD4 of 90.

Overall it's been a slow recovery but I'm actually starting to see the other side. A total of 12 weeks off work. Thank god I work for a great company and had heaps of sick and annual leave built up. In the last week I've been feeling much better. I feel better now than I have for 6 months.

I've learned a lot from reading posts on this forum. Hopefully I'll learn a lot more and maybe even share a little. I've noticed a lot of people are worried about their numbers and starting meds. Honestly, if I can go from intensive care to feeling pretty damn good in 2.5 months then there is hope for others. My advice is to listen to your HIV or ID Dr, do what they say, look after yourself. Everything starts to slot into place if you let it and give it time.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: An intro
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:37 pm »
Ugh Prednisone. I hate that shit. You have my sympathies. :(

Welcome! :)

MtD

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »
I was on prednisone too and it caused some major trembles and shakes.  I could hardly hold on to a pen if I needed to write something.  You should be feeling much better soon.  Welcome to the forums littleprince, I am glad you found us. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:22:09 pm »
Welcome. Baptism by fire, poor soul, but you seem to be coming around!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:21 pm »
Welcome little prince!  You definitely made a great real life case for the life saving power of meds --- serves as a good response to those that might wonder whether the meds are worth it; whether some  of the side effects are worth it; question quality and/or quantity of life.  You are right, that many would be surprised that someone is happy with CD4 of 90 - but given where you came from, you have every reason to celebrate.  You have shown that no life has a real impact on quantity and quality.  You have shown that the effects of untreated HIV (if a person is at that point where treatment [i.e. meds] is warranted) are definitely more guaranteed and usually more devastating then the possible side effects of taking meds that can put the virus in check.

Thank you for sharing the realities of having HIV/AIDS.  To put it bluntly, you have chosen to come in to these Forums, whether you realize it or not, with "guns a blazing" in a succinct, realistic manner, that gives a lot of weight and power to your introduction.

Thank you again and welcome to the family!

Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:51:32 am »
This just reconfirms my belief that I have the slowest CD4 recovery known to man.

Offline runnergal

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:44 am »
Hi littleprince, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience.  My dad has recently started HAART,  his CD4 count was 51,  so your post gives me great hope for his recovery.  His appetite is still minimal after 10 days of therapy, so I am hoping his appetite will come back soon.  Have you gotten your appetite back. All the best with your recovery!

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 10:09:16 am »
hi lp,

welcome to the forums. it definitely sounds like your introduction to hiv infection was a hefty one and am glad to read that you're doing well! your good attitude is going to take you far. keep up the good work, take the time to educate yourself on this disease and how to stay healthy and keep on posting.

max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline littleprince

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:32 pm »
Have you gotten your appetite back.

I basically stopped eating when I started getting sick. Managed to lose 11kg (24 pounds) in 3 weeks. Tried to eat as much as I could (which wasn't very much) but couldn't gain any weight. My body was burning through energy as fast as I could feed it.

I started taking prednisone which has the horrible side effect of making you constantly eat which in my case was actually a good thing I guess. gained 8kg (17.5 pounds) in 3 weeks. The prednisone side effect has eased off but my appetite remains thankfully.

Your dads appetite should return when he feels better but keep an eye on it. If he is loosing weigh he should talk to his Dr. Things like nausea, stress, depression can make you stop eating and can be treated. If his weigh is stable he might just need a little time to get back to normal.

As a boost you could get him trying to drink some diet supplement drinks. The had me on them in hospital and are basically a high energy milk like drink that give you a lot of calories in a small volume. Talk to your pharmacy or Dr.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.