Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:16:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 635
Total: 635

Author Topic: Truvada PEP in South East Asia  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Travertwo

Truvada PEP in South East Asia
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »
My endeavors to find Truvada for a Post Exposition Prophylaxis in the Philippines
(I like to share my experiences because a similar article written in German did help me a lot)

It started like it always does by a sheer accident; no matter if the condom broke or my brains broke at that time, it simply happened.  I (male, late 40’s) had unprotected sex was an HIV positive partner.

After the steam blew off and I found out what had happened, it hit me like a strike with a baseball racket. I instantly started to google for my odds…

At first I found some statistics about the probability of infection depending on the kind of exposure. There are a lot of different numbers, all one to something, some more probable some less. But these numbers are statistics only; who wants to be the 1? Certainly not me!

It didn’t take me long to find out about a so called Post Exposition Prophylaxis (PEP) which could suppress the infection if started within a short period of time after the exposure. Well it was three in the morning, just a few hours after my mishap, so chances were good…
In the Philippines some pharmacies are open H24. I wrote the name of this precious medicine “Truvada” on a sheet of paper and at 4am I popped into the next open pharmacy. My luck ran out when I showed the name of the drug to the sales girl, “sorry- not have”. Until noon I tried half a dozen pharmacies in vain. Out of desperation I went to the biggest and most famous hospital in town and consulted with a doctor. He didn’t have the treatment either but gave me the important information that in the Philippines Truvada is called Emtricitabine/Tenofovir which obviously is a generic produced somewhere in Asia.  With this information I checked again several pharmacies but still without success. Finally I skipped my further travel plans and headed for Manila where I hoped to find the required medicine a lot easier.  What an illusion! Even the pharmacy of the biggest hospital did not have this drug in stock. The nice lady called around but still could not get a single positive answer! Now I was broken.

Time was running fast, the frame of 48 hours closing rapidly. I would have spent any money on that drug but I just couldn’t get it! When I was about to give up I found in the internet the name of a clinic offering HIV treatment and PEP; not in Manila of course but Singapore. Well, at 6am I found myself at the airport jumping on a plane to Singapore and at 10am I showed up in the clinic of Dr.Tan on Bencoolen Street.  Thirty-five hours after the exposure I started a PEP taking Truvada and Isentress for one month.

There are a lot of side effects one can get from this treatment however save from some dizziness I didn’t experience any of these. After 4 ½ month I tested on HIV negative. I will never know if the statistics would have “protected” me anyway or if the PEP did its job but at the end of the day this is of no importance.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.