Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:25:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who do you like better and why.....  (Read 8267 times)

Offline JeffInNYC

Who do you like better and why.....
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:36:13 pm »
Mel Gibson or John Rocker?   :o

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
Re: Who do you like better and why.....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 08:41:36 pm »

I like them both equally - for me it's hard to compare two men when they are from different industries - I admire both for their accomplishments in their specific fields

wow, I should be in politics  ;D
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »
Johns eyes are so blue.  Sigh. LOL

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 08:52:44 pm »
Jordan,

How on earth can you admire a twisted homophobic bigot and religious nutcase like Mel Gibson?

Regards,

MtD

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 08:57:33 pm »
How on earth can you admire a twisted homophobic bigot and religious nutcase like Mel Gibson?

I'm not aware of his homophobia....but based soley on his movies - I think he created some successful movies (based on sales and critic's reviews). 

Love is understanding....without the heart there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 09:03:02 pm »
Signs freaked me out in the middle of the day...and who isn't attracted to that Indian boy who cameos himself in his own movies?

I  used to be a big fan of Mel's, especially inthe Mad Max movies...but nothing's stirring my juices lately.  I resisited The Passion of the Christ because I hate being a captive audience.  I'd rather direct myself.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 09:04:49 pm »
I'm not aware of his homophobia....but based soley on his movies - I think he created some successful movies (based on sales and critic's reviews).

Love is understanding....without the heart there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind

um, ok. ::)

MtD

/edited to add a smartypants rolling of the eyes emoticon/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 01:46:08 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 01:00:22 am »
Very good Jordan......... :-* :-* :-*
I think I'm impressed.........I definitely like the way you think. :P :P :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 01:35:46 am »
I don't necessarily LIKE either one of them...

But John Rocker is WAAAAY hotter than Mel Gibson.  I mean...look at those eyes and those dimples.

I'm like buttah!!!  But then I wake up and remember what an ass he is.  hehe

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 01:49:17 am »
they're both a couple of assholes.  I can do without either one of them.

robt

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 02:23:14 am »
Well to be fair, Rocker is younger, and more likely to mellow with age.

But yeah, Mel is a known homophobe. He's actually said some nasty stuff about gay guys on television interviews. he's also a religious nutjob, and nothing terrifies me more than that. Well, spiders.

But if my options were one or the other, I'd wait and take the next elevator.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 02:34:37 am »
I meant to ask earlier, who the fuck is John Rocker anyway? I know I could look it up on Wikipedia, but we agreed in the other Mel Gibson thread that Wikipedia is the internet equivalent of the Branch Davidians.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 02:53:00 am »
John Rocker is a former Atlanta Braves pitcher who was traded shortly after saying, in an interview with Sports Illustrated, in which he described New York City's subway system as:

"Some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids."

http://archive.salon.com/news/feature/2000/01/22/rocker/index.html

Was he accurate? Probably. I've ridden those subways.

Not the best PR move, and it came at the heels of all sorts of stunts and gestures and obscenities on the pitcher's mound. Yeah, so he got traded, then bumped back to the minor leagues, where he still dwells I believe.

This was, I belive, back when Mister Rocker was a young young man. Early twenties, if that. Time and trial does a lot to show a person the world. They have the opportunity to embrace those changes, or to grow increasingly embittered. Time will tell, I think. But it likely will not show Rocker getting another major league position.

As for Mel, well, he was raised by an astonishing bigot for a Dad. He perpetuated the anti-semitism throughout his career. He has made, on several occasions and several years apart, extremely public homophobic comments, and has rather smugly aligned himself with Holocaust denialists and right wing fringe lunatics. Does he have talent? Absolutely.

Fortunately, not so much talent that I won't regret not seeing his movies.

My brother, a bit of the Nascar/Rush Limbaugh crowd,  was deeply moved by his Passion of the Christ. Of course, this is the same guy who, after reading "The DaVinci Code" pontificated for three family get-togethers as though he were a theological scholar. Good times.

So yeah, not fond of either of the two as people. And as artisans in their respective crafts, I think they have peaked. But between the two, I will ALWAYS take the young angry one over the seething, rageful older one. Only because the young one can still change. Mel, I fear, is on the fast track to becoming his dad.

Of COURSE he drinks.

I'd drink too, if I had that to look forward to, with my matinee idol looks fading more quickly than summer love. Seriously, the guy is only a little older than I am, and he looks like he's been through the meth lab and back again. Being insane really puts the stretch on the skin, don't it? Just saying.

Hey do I have to put the trademark thingy on it when I say it? <grin>

« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:55:15 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 03:02:12 am »
PS: I think that the real furor over John Rocker was not what he said, really. I mean, it's got to be at least a little indicative of locker room talk. Thing is, tthe Atlanta Braves were grooming him to replace their current, aging crop of pitchers as the Next Young Hot Thing. They gave him so much publicity, so much pushing into the spotlight, that this tidbit was viewed as a real betrayal of their endorsement.. by their product.

So of course, the sports journalism community pounced on him. And the managers and owners of the Braves were royally pissed at their product behaving like that. So they used him as a scape goat and sacrificed him.

If his words did not reflect what major leage baseball really believes, then there would have been... would be .. a push to recruit and promote an openly gay guy. There isn't. Actually, it's the consensus of MLB that the "world" (meaning - their bottom line) is not ready for that.

So ... pro sports can't have open bigots. And they can't have gay guys. Sort of leaves a narrow swath from which to pick, eh?

Welcome Thread

Offline Cliff

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 04:09:19 am »
Mel's comments were much more hurtful, because he's always had the cloud of being anti-Semitic around him.  I hope he gets the help he now claims to seek and I hope the LA Jewish community takes this opportunity to both promote the dangers of bigotry and that true reconciliation is possible.  We'll see.  Though the cynic in me believes that once a bigot, always a bigot and he's just trying to save his career.  I actually like his movies, (well his directing abilities more so than his acting).  I also thought The Passion was a good movie.  But I doubt I'll see any of his work now.  How do you work in the entertainment industry and hate Jewish people with A Passion?  Seems like that would make for a stressful career.

Rocker is just a buffoon, who put his foot in his mouth and kept on pushing it in deeper when given the opportunity.  He's probably no more racist, (he actually made other comments about Asians and blacks besides the NYC L-train comment), and homophobic than any other pro sports athlete.  His issue is that he has a big mouth (huge actually) and doesn't know when to shut it up.  He's also very disrespectful and hardheaded.  Add to that he started to suck as a pitcher, then you'll see why the organization was willing to let him go.  Why support a buffoon, who isn't even performing well?

In any event, he now has a black girlfriend....so they say.  Bless her heart.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 08:22:09 am »

I like JORDAN the best! And since he likes MEL and I'm around MEL's age....well you connect the dots!
Positive since 1985

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 08:24:57 am »
Oh..sorry I got side tracked...I like John better then Mel. Back to reality.....
Positive since 1985

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2006, 08:36:24 am »
Ladies puhleeze...y'all sound like my thirteen year old niece at a slumber party.  All you bitches know you would do John Rocker in a heartbeat...and worry about the PC later. First one of you mo's falls asleep...I'm freezing your bra! ;D 

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2006, 08:36:31 am »
Yeah, Rocker may be an asshole, but a lefthander who throws a 100+ mph fastball?  He probably could have pulled the sack trick on Steinbrenner and gotten a Christmas bonus.  But alas, success goes to the head

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 09:51:30 am »
I'd have to say John Rocker simply because he has the coolest name in pro Sports...( yes second place goes to Tiger Woods )
I plan to add Passion of the Christ' to my netflix list , but not because of the stellar Direction, just to see the ol'boy get nailed... Mel, Mel, Melllll,    Frankly, I expected more from someone who voiced the main character in 'Chicken Run"  >:(
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »
All you bitches know you would do John Rocker in a heartbeat...and worry about the PC later.

Hal, I am one of those bitches.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 10:09:31 pm »
Ew, I woudn't do Rocker if you paid me. Unless of course it was a lot. As for Mel Gibson, apart from a good performance in Tequila Sunrise, can't think of a half-decent thing he's ben in or directed.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 11:47:25 am »
When I went to the theater to see "The Passion of Christ", a bunch of Baptists were handing out tracts and offering 'conseling' ....one of them said to me "I'll be glad to speak with you if you would like"...I said "Honey, I'm seeing a movie here, not joining a cult."

I thought it was o.k., but certainly not GREAT by any stretch of the imagination.

After it was over, one of the Baptists asked me how I liked it.   I said "I thought the way they portrayed the Stations of the Cross was done well" and she said "HUH?"     didn't have a clue what I was talking about.....(I resisted the urge to say "I'll be glad to explain the movie to you if you'd like") tehehe
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.