Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:00:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 618
Total: 621

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: To all you Down Under UPDATE  (Read 13634 times)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
To all you Down Under UPDATE
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:45:07 am »
Am thinking of going to Australia for 2-3 weeks in November.
Trying to find cheap flights from Athens,Greece - any advice anyone?
Good airlines to fly with? Do I need a visa? (Is that the right word?)
Also wondered about official restrictions for lepers etc...that I will duly ignore of course!

Melia
(who is feeling a bit dazed, grumpy and bolshy today) >:(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:28:52 am by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline ademas

Re: To all you Down Under
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 12:56:16 pm »
I had no problems being a leper on my trip to AU.  They inspected my bags, checked my med bottles, confiscated my beef jerky (wtf?), and waved me through.

Visa requirements vary from country to country.  You would need to check to see if AU requires a visa for citizens of Greece.  They didn't require one for US citizens a few years back, as long as you weren't staying longer than 90 days (or something like that).

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 09:13:51 pm »
hey Melia,

It would be a pleasure to have you come to Aus for a visit. The more the merrier. You can find out about Visa requirements etc here: http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm. The Visa options are here: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/visa-options.htm. If you are a Greek citizen you will need what they call an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) which you can apply for online.

I don't know what they ask you in order to get an ETA regarding HIV etc. but here is a link to the health requirements: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1163i.pdf, and it looks like HIV may be a consideration. None of my friends have ever had a problem, but I will leave the question as to whether you reveal anything or not for you to decide, and for others to advise.

Once you have an ETA though, they do not ask any HIV related question on the immigration/customs form that you have to fill out on the plane.

If you are carrying meds with you, you should have a 'smuggle letter' from your doctor - basically a letter stating that you have a condition requiring you to carry your medication with you. You do not have to name the condition, but you should leave your drugs in their original bottles with your name on the label.

Also, as ademas noted, you are not allowed to bring any food, animal products etc with you, and if you live in a rural area and have been around animals don't bring any clothes with dirt or animal secretions on them. Because we are an island we do not have many of the other pests and bugs that reek havoc in the rest of the world. In order to keep the nasties out, we have strict quarantine requirements. As you prepare to land, you will observe another of these oddities when either the cabin crew walk through the aircraft spraying the plane and passengers with insecticide, or it the insecticide is pumped through the air-con.

As for flying. Where are you coming from - Greece? I'm not sure that Qantas or Olympic fly direct from Greece to Aus anymore. The cheapest way is probably going to be to get yourself to the London and get a flight from there. You can get some pretty good deals flying from London to Sydney, but a word of warning - some of the cheaper flights have several stops which can turn a 22/23 hour slog into a 30+ nightmare. My personal recommendation would be to try and fly Emirates if you can. They are a great airline with ample leg room and cabin space and you can fly from Athens to Dubai and then get a connecting flight to either Sydney or Melbourne. They also usually offer great deals at very reasonable prices. Check out their site: http://www.emirates.com/gr/en/.

Do you have any ideas as to where you want to go, stay, see?

Keep us posted on your plans.

Steve

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:22:40 pm »
Hey Melia!

Great news to hear you are thinking of coming for a trip downunder!  I can't really add to what Steve has said about coming to Oz, but if you are planning on coming to Melbourne, please look me up!!

Hugs
Matt

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:23:05 pm »
Ooooh! Beer and steak at the Shakespeare! Woot! ;D

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 11:45:15 pm »
mmmmmmmmmmm. beer and steak. All for $5

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 02:17:34 am »
Steve & ademas: Thanks for all the info/advice guys! :)

Cubbybear: I may be doing a quick visit to Melbourne depending on time, so you never know!

Mattymoo: If the Shakespeare is in Sydney then you're on, my mad hatter!

I'm planning to go to Sydney for 2-3 weeks to see family I haven't seen since I was a kid. I'll be staying with them. I also have family in Melbourne, so depending on time I may jet over to see them for a few days. I also have family in the Blue Mountains but I know I wont have much time to see everyone with only 2-3 weeks. But we'll see...

So far I'd only checked out Singapore Airlines and Gulf Air. I know SA have a good reputation but I have no idea about Gulf Air. SA are more expensive though. I've just checked out Emirates - not bad at all, although a longer trip than with Gulf Air - 1079 euros via Dubai/Bangkok, thats about £720 about the same as Gulf Air. Gulf Air goes via Bahrain, not a stopover just a few hour wait. To be honest I've always wanted to experience Emirates because I've heard they're one of if not the best...plus I know someone who works for them so I may be able to wangle some discount, ha!

I'm not on any meds so thats not a problem. I'm printing out the info on visas/ETA as I type...

If revealing my hiv status will cause a problem with me entering the country, then I won't reveal it. What has anyone else's experience been of that situation?

Ok, time to catch some Greek sunrays before work. Toodleloo!

Melia :)
(who is feeling more wise and not grumpy today...and very excited at the prospect of going to Oz...she hears there's a fully grown wizard there who grants wishes!)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 10:46:36 pm »
Melia,

The Shakespeare is indeed in Sydney, just round the corner from my house and a regular haunt of mine. It's one of the last 'traditional' pubs in my area which is being gentrified all the time, and where Matty and I had our first 'date'. He never did ask me out again  ::)

What suburb in Sydney do your family live in?
The Blue Mountains are just a stone's throw from Matty's place.

If you are not on meds, I would not reveal anything to them when applying for the ETA. I would be extremely surprised if they you required any sort of health checks of you for a 2-3 week stay, so I'd keep quiet.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 10:54:13 pm »
He never did ask me out again

Well you never rang me again, either hobbit-boy! :P

Seriously, Melia -- when you get to Sydney (I'll give you my phone number) we (you, me, Little Steve, Papa Bear and everyone else) should meet up in Sydney and have a Southern Hemisphere AMG. ;)

Only without the crappy music and shared hotel rooms.

;D

MtD

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 03:21:54 am »
Steve, I'm not sure what suburb yet, I'll find out. Thanks for the advice about the ETA. ;)

Matty, I LOVE the idea of our own Ozzie AMG! I was so pissed that I missed going to Montreal!

Ooooh I'm getting really excited now!!!
You guys have to promise to be gentle with me though. I'm just a sweet little country girl after all! ::)

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 03:26:17 am »
The Southern Hemisphere is, after all, the Party Hemisphere. ;)

MtD

Offline joemutt

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 05:14:01 am »
Hi Meli, I have travelled to Australia a few times on a ETA, applying for an ETA on-line doesn't require you to declare anything about your HIV status.
Customs saw my pills every time and I just say I have to take them every day,
no worries, there is no embargo on HIV poz people travelling into Australia (as opposed to the US) If you go, have a great time, it's the Lucky Country, they even have Matty :o

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 03:26:08 am »
I'M DEFINITELY COMING!!!
I've provisionally booked with Emirates for 1-20 Nov. EEEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited I could explode! I still don't know what suburb my aunt lives - we've only been in touch online and I keep forgettng to ask, duh! Anyway, wherever she is I will find my way to this Shakespeare place one way or another!

Thanks for that info about the ETA Joe, I'll start looking into it... ;)

Matty, I was so excited to get your text the other day I almost fell off my chair! ;D I can't wait to meet you! EEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

So guys and gals, who wants to play leader organising a mini Ozzie AMG?

(who keeps jumping up and down and squeaking like some crazy critter!)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: To all you Down Under UPDATE
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 05:34:43 am »
You have permission to tease Matty while you're there.

It's technically my job but really, if he's going to be spending time with you SOMEONE has to do it.
 ;D

Lucky.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 03:45:42 am »
Steve/Matty
Have PM-ed you both the suburb details...

Matty, apparently I have Jaser's permission to tease you...so blame him! ;D

Are there any others I know on here based in Sydney?

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 02:54:48 am »
Exciting change of plan. If I can get visa sorted in time and a few other things done and dusted, looks like I'll be coming to Oz early October... EEEEKKKKK!!! Watch this space...

A very excited and squeaky Melia ;D
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 03:36:26 am »
Hi Melia

I know you will have a great time over there in Oz...I'm heading to Perth in January (wish I could make it in October) and I'm working on a stop over to meet, hopefully, my 3 aussie mates...Matty, Steve and Matt.

Can wait to hear about your trip when you return.

Safe travels.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline fearless

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 11:46:52 pm »
Hey Melia,

This is indeed a very exciting turn of events. The sooner the better I say.

Steve

And Jan in January. I can't wait.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 11:51:27 pm by fearless »

Offline Robert

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 12:35:28 am »
can I come? ???

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 03:43:27 am »
can I come? ???

Oh go on then! ::)

Actually, where are you Robert? The more the merrier I say!

Melia 8)
(who has her shades on today cos her life suddenly feels very sunny)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 04:47:24 am »
I'm going to confirm my flight today...Oct 1-21 it is!

Australia, here I come!!!
WOOHOO!!!

A very very very excited Melia ;D
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 04:54:29 am »
We'll organise a flotilla on the harbour for you, doll. ;)

MtD
(Who knows people)

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2006, 06:59:11 am »
A flotilla on the harbour Matty!!!
I'll top that one, and hereby declare Monday 2 October a public holiday.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 09:08:37 am »

As flattered as I am, I don't think we need to rename Sydney Harbour after moi just yet. The flotilla should do for now.

;)

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2006, 09:12:18 am »

As flattered as I am, I don't think we need to rename Sydney Harbour after moi just yet. The flotilla should do for now.

;)

MtD

Sounds like what goes on in the backroom of a sex club in Sydney.
 ;D

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 09:17:13 am »
I have been known to fall on my knees and welcome the fleet, from time to time.  :-*

MtD

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 10:26:50 am »
Have a safe trip Melia..........Give those Aussie Chaps a good squeeze for me.
Sounds like an awful lot of kneeling over there...if you ask me...and no one did
but one has to admire a patriot on his knees....just don't expect em to talk with
their mouths full.

Have a Great Trip................
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 04:50:07 pm »
IT'S BOOKED!!! YIPPEE!!! WOOT WOOT!!! EEEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!

I'll top that one, and hereby declare Monday 2 October a public holiday.

Gosh, Melia is beginning to feel so important...keep this up and I may have to wear a hat! ;D

Oh Mattymoo, you crack me up! Can't wait to catch the live version! :D

Have a safe trip Melia..........Give those Aussie Chaps a good squeeze for me.

Thanks David...I'll be giving those Aussie Chaps as many squeezes as I can get away with!
And there will be no kneeling from anyone...except to worship Her Majesty Melia of course! ;)

Getting squeakier by the minute! So excited I may well pass out!

Melia ;D

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline fearless

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 11:08:30 pm »
Damn you, Matty. I never did grammar in high school.  :-[

Melia,
Just out of interest, what is your family background? I know from your posts that you don't speak Greek, but I'm curious.
You will be landing at the right time as October is Good Food Month in Sydney. As part of it they have a fundraiser for the AIDS trust where all the top chefs, restaurants and winemakers have stalls in Hyde Park with jazz bands etc. Can be a fun day. I'll check exactly when it is on.

Steve

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 03:21:20 pm »
Hey Steve
I'm half n half...half English, half Chinese. My mum is from Malaysia, but her parents were Chinese. I was born and bred in the UK...don't speak Chinese, mores the pity! Any particular reason you ask?
Actually, I do speak Greek, well I've been learning for 2 years now and I'm doing ok...can get by!

Btw, Matty outed you to me as a lightweight on the ol' amber nectar...you'll be in good company with me! ;)
Good Food Month sounds right up my street...definitely look into that, cos that sounds like a cool way to spend a day! I seriously can't wait to meet you guys! I've pm-ed you my number...

I picked up my ticket today...the travel guy was laughing at me cos I kept squeaking in excitement! ;D

Am on countdown now...11 days to go!

/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline fearless

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2006, 09:40:51 pm »
Curiosity mainly. The areas you are staying in are quiet popular places to live for Greek migrants and their families (I've got a few friends down that way) and there are some yummy Greek cake shops down there. If it is handy you should try the Athens Continental Cake Shop at 914 Anzac Pde in Maroubra - i'm drooling just thinking about it  :P.
The area is also now popular with people from South East Asia.
I think you will love it, there is a great mix of people and cultures from round the world. Lot's of goodies to sample.
As you can probably tell by now, I love my food.

And, yes, Matty was right - a lightweight I am. I've always been what we call a two-can sam, or two-can screamer. My friends say - 2 beers I'm anyone's, 3 beers I'm everyone's.  ;D I've got worse since starting meds. I'm almost 100% alcohol intolerant these days - 1 beer per sitting, then lots of lemon, lime and bitters to wash it down.

11 days and counting. tick, tick, tick.

don't forget your sunnies and suntan cream.

Stephen

Offline ozjen

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 11:29:03 am »
Hello Melia.....this is Jan's mate Jen from the other side of Oz.
Have a great trip.
AND ... To all my friends in Sydney.......best of luck on Saturday........lol

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 06:05:20 pm »
Ok..so what is happening in Sydney on Saturday...AFL, RUGBY, CRICKET...I have no idea what is happening in Aussie these days.. :-[

Melia..I lived in Perth for 20 years and the only place I saw outside of WA was Melbourne (which I loved BTW)..I'm so jealous because you get to visit Sydney..but I'm even more jealous because you get to see our Matty...give him a big hug for me and have a great trip.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline ozjen

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2006, 09:26:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Sorry darl'n......AFL.....actually the Fremantle Dockers play Sydney Swans today (Friday) and the Eagles play Adelaide tomorrow to see who plays in the grand final on the 30th.......so Western Australia has potentially got both our teams in......yes!
Sorry also to all you non-football people but there's a little bit of rivalry between the two sides of our country .....friendly of course.... ;D
Anyway, you'll love Sydney Melia. Enjoy!
love Jen xxxx

Offline fearless

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2006, 09:51:51 pm »
Jen,
This ain't no friendy rivalry, not this Friday night, it is war. The Dockers will be crushed tonight  ;D. I'm normally an NRL man, but tonight I'm off to the Swans game. Have my red and white colours on in the office today. Can't wait to be part of the action, 80,000 screaming Swans fans vs a few hundred Docker faithfull. May the best team win.

Offline ozjen

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 12:36:34 am »
 ;D
Stephen,
           You lucky devil! I have a sneaky suspicion that you are right about the Dockers tonight :(. oh well if that's the case, then go the mighty Eagles next week. We can't have the Swans winning 2 years in a row :D
have a great time tonight. Wish I was there in all my purple and green glory.
Lances at the ready!!!!

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 02:01:05 pm »
Ok...Swans? Dockers?? Free mantlepieces???
And I thought the Australian tongue was just English with a funny accent...! ???

Jen:Thanks for your kind wishes! :)

Jan:Thanks for your kind wishes too! Time allowing, I may get to Melbourne for a few days...I'll see! And how will I NOT love Sydney...? Matty and Lil Stephen will be there! I will be hugging them both a lot, for everyone...so BE WARNED guys! ;)

Mattymoo/Steve: 9 days and counting...tick tick tickety tock! EEEEKKKK!!!! ;D

Melia 8)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 02:04:38 pm by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline fearless

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 07:56:06 pm »
tick, tock...

Melia,
You really should try and get to Melbourne if you can. It is a beautiful city.
Stephen

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2006, 01:46:57 am »
5 DAYS TO GO...WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

A getting out of control Melia ;D
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline fearless

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 07:54:53 pm »
Melia,
This is what my street looks like, hardly a 'ranch'.  just a saying, 'meanwhile, back at the ranch' ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2006, 11:02:53 am »
15 hours to go till I start my journey down under and I'm finally PACKING!!!

Matty! Stephen! HERE I COME GUYS!!!

;D ;D ;D A verging on delerious Melia ;D ;D ;D
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2006, 08:57:19 pm »
Miss Melia sent me a text message yesterday. She's either still in the sky or already in Australia.

I've alerted the Security Services.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.