Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:04:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 296
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Concern?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline samm2015

Concern?
« on: May 23, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »
Its been long time since diagnosis and things have been great. I have been taking my doses on time, being safe while having sex and everything. I had my labs yesterday, and my cd4 have been down considerably. It's 390 as opposed to 640 in my previous labs. Which has got me concerned. What's not helping is my viral load results are not back yet. So there is no way to know if the dip in cd4 Needs to be treated more seriously. My Cd4 % is 39. I know there is not much that anyone can tell than to wait for vl results but it's keeping me anxious and I just wanted to know if anyone had similar experience before that could help me keep my sanity.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Concern?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:01 pm »
CD4's will vary from test date to test date. Look it's near 400 so given its a only snapshot moment and well above anything of any concern why worry about it at all? 

As for the vl, all you can do is take your meds and be adherent to keep the HIV  supressed, so long as you are doing that the expected results should be ud. So stop worrying about it, results are what they are.

Keep us posted when you have the vl results in.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:37:43 pm »
Jim is correct.  You have no concrete reason to be concerned, especially since your CD4 percentage is high.

You may have had a cold or an unrelated infection, which could lower the absolute CD4 count.

If your VL remains "undetectable," just consider it a "one off."
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 04:41:29 pm »
Patrick is correct, the 39% is bloody good  ;)

Look if you're worried about an unexpectedly low count then your CD4% will help you understand if this is a real change. The percentage is more stable than the exact CD4 count.

your test reports CD4% = 39%, that means that 39% of your lymphocytes are CD4 cells. The average normal CD4% for HIV negative adults is about 40%.

So what more do you want  ;) you are doing fine.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline samm2015

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:49:51 pm »
@jim. @ptrk3 thanks guys, I did have cold few weeks ago and minor infection here and there so that could be the possibility of lower cd4 . Good cd4 % is what keeping me hopeful as it has changed for good from 38 to 39. I hope vl results brings smile back on my face.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 04:55:58 pm »
I would expect that your VL remains at "undetectable."  It reads to me that the cold and minor infection caused the temporary CD4 drop.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 08:20:44 pm »
I say this alot on here --  focusing on a single instance of a single lab test is almost never helpful, as it does not provide the "story" or full picture (with very rare exceptions, like a VL test - and even then, a single instance is unhelpful, it is a trend that matters).

Many things, other than HIV, can impact your CD4 count.  Given that your CD4% remained the same, I'd say that you probably will see either a lower total lymph count and/or a lower WBC count within your CBC.  A viral infection, like a cold, can lower either/both of total lymph/WBC.  If your total WBC count is lower, it stands to reason that your CD4 count would be down too - as they are a type of WBC.  Same for total lymphs -- CD4's are a type of lymph cell.

So -- as Ptrk and Jim stated -- there is likely nothing to fear here.  What ever may have "caused" this lower count is probably not HIV. 

What has your doctor said about your lab results?  That is always the best place to look -- if he/she is not concerned, you are in an OK spot.  There is a reason that we go to doctors and don't manage our health on our own ---  it is a complex thing!!

Now -- go do something that makes you happy, so you can forget about that one, silly, number!!!

Mike

Offline samm2015

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:05 am »
Thanks Mike that was really useful.

Just got off the phone from doctors office. Viral load is undetectable  :D :D that made my day. I still need to know what doctor thinks about lower cd4 count but the huge burden of my chest now, since the vl results are back.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.