Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:35:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Iowa, now VERMONT!!!!  (Read 14879 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
First Iowa, now VERMONT!!!!
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:53:57 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30089125/

Vermont on Tuesday became the fourth state to legalize gay marriage — and the first to do so with a legislature's vote.

The House recorded a dramatic 100-49 vote — the minimum needed — to override Gov. Jim Douglas' veto. Its vote followed a much easier override vote in the Senate, which rebuffed the Republican governor with a vote of 23-5.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:55:35 pm by Peter Staley »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Same Sex Marriage now legal in Vermont
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »
***breaking news***

That's pretty amazing to have this happen in two states within a week of each other.

also:

The issue is also advancing in New Hampshire, where it has passed the state House and is awaiting action by the Senate, as well as in Maine and New Jersey, which are debating same-sex marriage legislation.

Unfortunately I can't see it happening her in Pennsylvania.  Not due to Philadelphia of course, where many congressional districts are as liberal as any in San Francisco, but the remainder of the state is like Kentucky.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Same Sex Marriage now legal in Vermont
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 05:51:07 pm »
***breaking news***

That's pretty amazing to have this happen in two states within a week of each other.

also:

Unfortunately I can't see it happening her in Pennsylvania.  Not due to Philadelphia of course, where many congressional districts are as liberal as any in San Francisco, but the remainder of the state is like Kentucky.

YAH! only 46 more States to go  ;D  that's 50 minus 4 leaves 46 left.....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:53:25 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: First Iowa, now VERMONT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:04:26 pm »
oops, sorry -- delete, or rather merge, my duplicate thread :)~

Merged. ;D

You're to be excused - it's so nice, it just had to be said twice!

Seriously, this news makes me very happy. There's a fresh wind blowing in the USA.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:16:38 pm »
great news indeed.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:29:10 pm »
I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
It's too good to be true.
It's a trap!
 ???
Mike

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:24 pm »
I called all the folks I know in Vermont (I'm a University of Vermont alum) - and asked them all to contact their state reps, to help override the threatened Governor's veto.  I guess it worked! 
Gotta love Vermonters though, they are a ornery bunch -- a good friend of mine told me that with a number of "outsiders" trying to convince them to "Save Traditional Marriage" did themselves great harm.  There is nothing that will turn a native Vermonter off more than someone coming in and telling them what to do.  We probably had some reps vote for this, simply because of the outside pressure to vote it down!!

Such good news -- we now have half of New England!

Mike

Offline Longislander

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 10:44:32 pm »
I am waiting for the other shoe to drop

I'm just waiting for someone willing to drop their shoes under my bed!  ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 10:50:10 pm »
You can bet now all the fundamental X'tians (self professed christians) will now set aside the Real salvation of themselves and that of mankind's, and dedicate all their" sin-sheer hole-hearted" resources to fight these rulings in any supporting liberal states. God save their holes, err..I mean soles (Jimmy Choo's no less)...lol  :D

Get ready for Round 2. >:( ::)

PS: Great news!!! Congrats Vermont!!!  Very inspiring !!! :-*
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:52:05 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 04:02:07 am »
I’m glad they told the gov where to go. And passed it despite his veto.
Here in iOwa the demo liberal gov Culver said in 2008 he'd do anything to STOP
same sex marriage. This week, he reversed and said he would respect the ruling.
Naturally, all the  anti same sex loonies are now calling Culver every nasty name in the book and
swear he will not get re elected. It’s getting ugly nasty.

What Gov Culver said, however, was quite different from other arguments.
He said the "church" can still have its anti same sex marriage platform and still
refuse to marry same sex. BUT... as far as state civil, that is a different matter
now that the courts have ruled allowing same sex marriage.

In other words, he drew a new line when it comes to separation of church and state.
#1. The church can do what it wants. #2. The state must follow anti discrimination laws.
I never heard it put that way before. Church is church. Government is government.
The two ARE separate, just as the US constitution intended. Brilliant analysis!
Other states looking into same sex should follow Gov Culvers understanding.
The most sensible read on the issue I've come across.
And it puts the religious fundies in their place. Nothing has been taken away from
their homophobia views.
The church can continue to be homophobic to their hearts content.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline randym431

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:11:58 am »
PS.
Just a thought... But I wonder now that same sex marriage can be done in some states, I wonder how many macho straight appearing, thought to be straight, bachelor men will shock their friends/co workers and announce marriage plans. NOT to the girl friend, but to the boy friend.  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:58:30 am »

What Gov Culver said, however, was quite different from other arguments.
He said the "church" can still have its anti same sex marriage platform and still
refuse to marry same sex. BUT... as far as state civil, that is a different matter
now that the courts have ruled allowing same sex marriage.

In other words, he drew a new line when it comes to separation of church and state.
#1. The church can do what it wants. #2. The state must follow anti discrimination laws.
I never heard it put that way before. Church is church. Government is government.
The two ARE separate, just as the US constitution intended. Brilliant analysis!
Other states looking into same sex should follow Gov Culvers understanding.
The most sensible read on the issue I've come across.
And it puts the religious fundies in their place. Nothing has been taken away from
their homophobia views.
The church can continue to be homophobic to their hearts content.

FANTASTIC! It's so refreshing to hear of a politician with a bit of sense and the guts to adhere to the US constitution as regards the separation of church and state.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline randym431

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 10:57:02 am »
All hell is breaking out this morning in the corn state...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090409/NEWS/90409012

Offline randym431

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:52 pm »

Offline Merlin

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 12:39:32 am »
FANTASTIC! It's so refreshing to hear of a politician with a bit of sense and the guts to adhere to the US constitution as regards the separation of church and state.

Ann

It's so true Ann, but we all know it's not always about truth that matters. To these fundamental extremists who uses religion as a convenient excuse and crutch to do their relentless misdeeds, it's about the POWER to Control and Impose their ways on others. It's NEVER about Christ. And dun think for a second that if we all turn the other cheek, these morons will let us be. Bullies fear retaliation. They are cowards. We have to stand UNITED and keep fighting to be recognised and left alone as EQUALS. We are NOT asking, we are demanding it. >:(

See the lengths these homophobes will go to destroy an innocent person just cos they can. Just take a good look at Bill O'Reilly. He spreads so much hate and trash on his show, yet the tv network keeps him on. His latest target is Adam Lambert on American Idol, over the non issue gay kissing pictures "discovered". Calling the photos "embarrassing" and which "hint that he is gay," he asked his studio guest if the images will "have an effect on this program which is a cultural phenomenon in America?"
Go figure. ??? :o >:(

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:38:09 am »
You're not kidding, Merlin. Organised religion has ALWAYS been about power and control and sadly, probably always will be.

I have a very rich spiritual life and I know you do too. The difference between people like us and people like them is that we only seek to have control and power over our own lives. I wouldn't dream of insisting other people share my beliefs and I rarely, if ever, talk about my beliefs. They're between me and that which powers the universe ONLY.

People who claim to have a "personal relationship" with "God" or Jesus usually have nothing of the sort. If it were truly a personal relationship, they wouldn't feel the need to cram it down everyone else's throat. They wouldn't seek to use their personal relationship as a weapon to wield against those who have different views of the world.

The wrongs that are committed every minute of every day in the name of religion beggar belief. As you say, Merlin, "Go figure".

And by the way, one thing I just cannot figure out is how the Bill O'Reillys of this world get away with what they do without being sued for slander. I also don't know how they sleep at night, but that's just me, I guess.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline randym431

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:01 am »
Yeah the local news coverage here in iOwa is hard to watch. The local news focuses only on the 400 (probably less), people that protest in public and at the statehouse. Headlines like "hundreds march to oppose gay marriage and FORCE action from the legislators", is all the news.
The local TV news clips of red eyed protesters in the statehouse chamber, yelling LET THE PEOPLE VOTE.  While the gays attending sit quietly with a look of shock and why on their face.

I can not understand this total insane red eye heated anger hell fire the opponents rage against such a private and personal matter as marriage for gays.
Its basically broken down into republicans trying every trick they can in the legislation to force democrats to drop everything and allow a constitutional amendment Gay Ban to go forward.
The legislators have one more week in the current session. After that the opponents must wait until next years calendar.
As you can imagine that wait is killing the opponents. They want action NOW!!!
Well this week has now passed and the opponents got no where.
The democrats shut them down, so far. So far…
But next week will no doubt start up a whole new round of yelling and name calling.
Gay marriage doesn’t actually go into law until April 24 (Friday).
Then the city announced that date would be pushed to April 27 (Monday) because the state government is taking an unpaid day off on Friday the 24th.

It seems like these red eyed opponents are always finding some abstract little law or procedure that could in fact derail April 27 from becoming reality.
That is what worries me. They always seem to come up with some little hidden unknown procedure they can pull out of nowhere.
The clock is ticking down. The opponents are getting red hot mad as a blacks smiths oven.
I just can not believe the hate and anger. I actually would not be surprised if these fundie
nut cases did not follow right into picketing each and every gay wedding the week of April 27th.
So far there are only 5 wedding booked.
Don't be surprised of anything you hear or see in the iOwa news come the week of April 27th.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:13:03 am by randym431 »

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:05:07 pm »
I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.
It's too good to be true.
It's a trap!
 ???
Mike

Are you channeling Admiral Ackbar again?  ;D
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2009, 06:20:12 am »

The difference between people like us and people like them is that we only seek to have control and power over our own lives.

People who claim to have a "personal relationship" with "God" or Jesus usually have nothing of the sort. If it were truly a personal relationship, they wouldn't feel the need to cram it down everyone else's throat.

Briliiant Ann! You just gave me 2 great new mantras to use on those that dun deserve it. Ya, I get pestered ALL the time to attend Church and reunite with God from "well meaning" people/neighbours. These "christians" kinda fear me when I return a mocking stare to them when they start to preach. I'm kinda a lapsed Catholic and almost became a priest many yonker years ago when I had many unexplained "visions" (no, I hadn't played with drugs yet  :D) of Madonna ( and again no, not the one on tour). ;)  So, when seemingly "helpful" christians get blasted back with how much this gay God damned, devil worshiping pagan sinner, knows his bible and dun need saving, they feel really threatened. Think is more a reactionary manner to them losing face at not being able to get their way with me. :D

When they pull this last threat that I'll surely burn in hell, I always laugh and say, "Well, you should be happy then instead as there will now be more room for upgrade in heaven for you guys with me outta the way, ya?" :-*
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:24:01 am by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline mjmel

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 07:53:37 am »
Are you channeling Admiral Ackbar again?  ;D

Mark made a funny!   :) A channeling of the bug-eyed buffoon? Of course not, dear. I would have typed "twap" instead of 'trap'!  :D

Randy, have you not seen scenario of straight-superiority crap before? Historically, it happens each and every time select policticians reach out and gain ground for equal treatment of gays as U.S. citizens.
The hoopla: You didn't see this part coming? I don't mean to shoot down anyone's hopes here. Just sayin...before your joy soars too high wait for the fallout of said 'rights' are set in law; then stays as law.
Lets face it brother, mainstream Americans aren't liking the true meaning of their own United States Constitution which was designed to include equal rights for all it's citizens.........which was also intent on seperation of Church and State. It should not surprise you after all these years of seeing equality for homosexuals flip flop through the courts. This is an old pain.
I have never claimed to be an activist but will remember, respect, and continue to benefit from the brave efforts of those brave souls (yeap, gay ones) of decades past. Some well known; most unknown.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:57:02 am by mjmel »

Offline randym431

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2009, 11:13:13 am »
Yeah I've seen the flip flops with rights and acceptance.
But this is different. This is different!
What is going on in iOwa should be getting constant national attention,
because its just getting butt ugly.
NOW, some out of state group headed by someone that looks just like a fat Rush Limbaugh
is running TV ad's warning people "the gays are coming, and they want your children".
The ad shows people under a black cloudy sky, as if the world itself was about to end.
Also announced today, another anti gay rally set for this Monday at the statehouse 11am-1pm.

I can now easily see how it was that Hitler came into power, killed masses of Jews, and few cared.
If that was possible towards Gays, today, I wonder how many of these red eyed opponents
would favor concentration camps and out right murder.

This is serious folks. This is different. Maybe because this time its the heartland Bible belt, but these people care not for rights, fairness or compassion. They want blood.
For the first time America is looking more like Nazi Germany 1940's.
I wonder how far they will go. How far they can go.
After this is over, not only will we possibly not have same sex marriage, we may not be able to walk the streets.
Everyone should keep a close eye on the events here in iOwa. We're approaching mob rule.

PS. Everyone needs to know what is going on here, now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI261VU0AZA
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:39:13 am by randym431 »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2009, 11:50:11 am »

NOW, some out of state group headed by someone that looks just like a fat Rush Limbaugh
is running TV ad's warning people "the gays are coming, and they want your children".
The ad shows people under a black cloudy sky, as if the world itself was about to end.

They are scared. Scared that if their lies and exaggertions are exposed and laid to rest as such, they will have no validity and polictical muscle. My goodness, what would they do without something or somebody to repress.  ::)

Mike

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2009, 12:21:40 pm »
They are scared. Scared that if their lies and exaggertions are exposed and laid to rest as such, they will have no validity and polictical muscle. My goodness, what would they do without something or somebody to repress.  ::)

Mike

Well ,here is what I don't understand..............how are we, and everyone taking away their rights, isn't that the other way around, yeah they do sound scared and very desperate too  ??? or maybe it's the fear of loss, no longer having a voice, at least one that no-body wants to listen to anymore.......that has to be it?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:26:34 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 04:37:36 pm »
Randy, of course people are going to be angry and fearful. There will certainly be protesters at gay weddings. There may even be violence. This is the nature of the civil rights movements in the US: race riots, lynchings, Jim Crow laws. If you get a chance you should watch the documentary "Eyes on the Prize", it is excellent.

Many people don't look at gay marriage logically, they just react emotionally. For some homosexuality is synonymous with immorality and gay marriage is just legitimizing evil, abnormal behavior. Just like interracial marriage used to be "just wrong" so is gay marriage.

I remember going to Asheville's first gay pride march. It was not a fun event. There were people screaming threats at us. I vividly remember one guy singling me out and saying he was going to get a shot gun and blow my head off.

Unfortunately this is part of the process. However I truly feel that public opinion and time are on our side. As the baby boomers age out of relevance and the more tolerant younger generation moves into power gay people will gain equal treatment under the law.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 09:00:29 pm »
I just spoke with my friend in Vermont today -- she said that things are fairly low-key up there.  She did say that the commercials airing in Iowa are also airing in Vermont.  However, she points out that they are actually having the opposite effect of what their authors hoped.  More Vermonters are feeling like this is the right thing -- there has been no RESIDENTS calling for any legislator's head -- although there have been some of that from outsiders. 

Of course, Vermonters have been "dealing" with Civil Unions for years and have not seen the sky come falling down -- and being a pragmatic lot -- have seemed to just accept equality and move on.

A small glimmer of hope, perhaps??

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 06:46:48 am »

PS. Everyone needs to know what is going on here, now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI261VU0AZA

I love how they dsiabled the comments for the video. They're obviously afraid of the truth.

Quotes taken from the video:

"They want to take the issue into MY life."

I guess he must be gay then - otherwise, what's it got to do with him?

"My freedom will be taken away."

Is there some hidden clause in this legislation that prohibits any kind of marriage union other than same-sex? Is there a hidden clause that stops her from ... dunno ... drinking coffee?

A doctor who "...must choose between my faith and my job."

Again, we seem to have a hidden clause barring... barring what? Women "of faith" who practice medicine? I guess she never heard of the Hippocratic Oath. If she's taking moral judgements into the doctor/patient relationship, she deserves to be struck off. So yeah, I guess she should be chosing between her faith and her career if she cannot keep her faith out of her practice. Moral judgements made against the patient have NO place in the practice of medicine.

"I'm a part of a New Jersey church group punished by the government because we can't support same-sex marriage".

Well, they CAN support same-sex marriage, the only thing stopping them is their ignorance and adherance to myth. Helloooo? Separation of church and state?

I'm a ... parent helplessly  (clutch the pearls!) watching public schools teach my son that gay marriage is ok."  (she looks like someone is twisting her [out of shot] little toe)

Yeah, well if her son is straight, what's it to him? If he's gay, then at least he won't be made to feel like a freak.

"Those same-sex advocates want to change the way I  live."

No, they just want to change the way you dress. Ever hear of fashion?  Sheesh, get a life!

"I will have no choice."

She looks as though when given a choice, she chose a very bad hairdresser. No choice? Isn't this legislation all about giving EQUAL choice?

It's scary that anyone would fall for this blatent and false propaganda.

I gotta go, I think I'm going to lose my breakfast after watching that video. If it were showing on my telly everytime I tried to watch a program, I think I probably would have thrown a brick through it by now.

Is anyone organising any counterprotests? If I lived there, I'd be out on the streets in a heartbeat shouting these assholes down.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Longislander

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 01:47:29 pm »
I can't believe that last actor used the term "rainbow coalition" of people of all colors, etc, coming together in love to protect marriage!!! too funny~
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 03:19:06 pm »
I can't believe that last actor used the term "rainbow coalition" of people of all colors, etc, coming together in love to protect marriage!!! too funny~

Don't think they didn't know the irony. They're probably trying to negate the gay symbolism of the rainbow.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline randym431

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 05:17:14 pm »
It doesnt take me long to get really pissed...
Did I go too far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRSdUjr4Zx0

Offline bocker3

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 05:53:49 pm »
It doesnt take me long to get really pissed...
Did I go too far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRSdUjr4Zx0

No -- THEY went too far!

Thank you!

Mike

Offline randym431

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 06:15:53 am »
I threw it together pretty fast.
Added the B/W old film effect to look like then could be now, now could be then.
I wish I had a better editing prog. I use windows movie maker, but you can't
layer audio or video. Pretty basic.

I’m not sure if I the grammar was the best, like
"it begins so simply" or "simple" ?
And
"however the guise"
"whatever the disguise"
Doesn’t sound like the best grammar to me.
Should it read "whatever the guise" and "however the disguise" ?
Kinda fun though making it up.

Another interesting development in the news…  i.e. the theme of my youtube video:
On the local news here later, they were reporting several democrat in congress, one of which is openly gay, have been getting death threats for their support of same sex marriage.
All the republicans in congress are against same sex.
They are giving another try tomorrow to force a constitutional ban.
The last two tries last week failed thanks to democrats.
This time the republicans are tacking it to a tax bill the congress wants to get finished before
the secession ends this week. Plus they had another anti rally today. It was rainy and cold all day.
Not too many came out for it. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:17:35 am by randym431 »

Offline Merlin

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »
I watched the NOM video and I am truly speechless. What happened to their "religion" ? There is so much evil, hatred. lies and jealousy in their mission.   :-\

Imagine hundreds of packs of wolves surrounding a small flock of sheep and telling the latter they have to be killed because all the wolves feel threatened that the sheep is eating away all the grass, the staple food of wolves ??!!  :o

A Storm indeed. >:(

I am still speechless but amused.  ???

This may help those like me...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGR8YDd_lU&feature=related

or, try these;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1MGtULY73Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbTPBIYiig&feature=related

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 12:55:08 pm by Merlin »

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline bocker3

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 08:19:15 pm »
or, try these;

OMG -- this one KILLED me -- I couldn't stop laughing from the get-go!

Mike

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 10:47:36 pm »
I Loved Those Video,s ;D ;D ;D ;D
Scooter

Quote from: Merlin link=topic=26571.msg331220#msg 331220 date=1239726741
I watched the NOM video and I am truly speechless. What happened to their "religion" ? There is so much evil, hatred. lies and jealousy in their mission.   :-\

Imagine hundreds of packs of wolfs surrounding a small flock of sheep and telling the latter they have to be killed because all the wolves feel threatened that the sheep is eating away all the grass, the staple food of wolves ??!!  :o

A Storm indeed. >:(

I am still speechless but amused.  ???

This may help those like me...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGR8YDd_lU&feature=related

or, try these;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbTPBIYiig&feature=related

;D ;D ;D

Offline randym431

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 11:31:51 pm »
Well its official !!!
The loony right wingers and republicans ran out of options in stopping same sex marraige from taking place starting April 27th.
They tried! Boy did they ever try every dirty trick in the book i.e. state legislation trickery.

They held several protests in the statehouse.

One wanta be republican for future governor claimed if he were elected the next go around in 2010, he'd set in motion a directive to halt Gay marriage. An act noted that the state governor has NOT the legal power to do. A governor can not over ride a supreme courts ruling. But this nutcase for gov still claims he can or will anyway.

Then the republicans tried to tack an anti gay marriage amendment onto a tax bill up for vote.
That failed too. Thank God the democrats have the majority.
Thats another thing... these republicans claim the voters will change that, i.e. democrat majority, come 2010 elections.
Yeah.... right....

THen today the state attorney generals office put out what is being called a "DO OR DIE" directive stating "NO" state office will turn away or refuse to grant same sex couples a wedding license.
If any state offices refuse to grant license because of their "personal moral beliefs", then they can and will be sued in civil court.

Recorders Warned: Honor Same-Sex Marriages
State Says Officials Who Reject Qualified Applicants May Be Fired

DES MOINES, Iowa -- A state official has sent notices to Iowa's 99 county recorders telling them they must comply with an Iowa Supreme Court ruling that legalizes same-sex marriage.

The e-mails were sent to recorders Thursday by Victoria Hutton of the Iowa Department of Public Health. She sent the messages after reports of county recorders who have contemplated refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples.

In the e-mail, Hutton said recorders must comply with the Supreme Court ruling. They could be fired if they don't.

The ruling takes effect April 27.

Republican state senators tried to give recorders an out if their religion opposes gay marriage in an amendment that failed to be added to a recent bill.

However, Senate Democratic leader Mike Gronstal said the GOP proposal is "blatantly unconstitutional."

Also in the paper was news the state has rewritten the state applications and license documents to change "man - woman" wording to PARTNER A and PARTNER B.
(I havent decided yet if I'm an A or B   ;D  )

And several business have started a "gay theme" wedding planner.
They expect many from outside iOwa to come here to marry.
And that will boost the economy by some $160 million (something like that).
All I know is THAT is a lot of wedding cake !!!

And in the national news today on CNN was a statement by old John Mccain that republicans should stop opposing gay marriage.
I was very surprised to hear that from old John, and delighted.
Now if his people will just listen to him.

April 27th  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:35:21 pm by randym431 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 05:20:40 am »
That's fantastic news, Randy! Nice to see deluded hate-mongers put in their place.

Also in the paper was news the state has rewritten the state applications and license documents to change "man - woman" wording to PARTNER A and PARTNER B.
(I havent decided yet if I'm an A or B   ;D  )

Oh dear. Doesn't that discriminate against partners who identify as type C or D or ... ;D  ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline randym431

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2009, 08:31:25 am »
Correction...
It was not Mccain but one of his election staff that made the pro gay statement.
Don't know if Mccain agrees or not.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2009, 08:50:08 am »
Correction...
It was not Mccain but one of his election staff that made the pro gay statement.
Don't know if Mccain agrees or not.

That was Steve Schmidt ;

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/04/steve_schmidt_is_back.html

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2009, 12:16:13 pm »
While we have all of this hoopla about Iowa and Vermont, which I don't want to diminish, but keeping in mind that the amount of LGBT marrying couples isn't the largest, we've had nary a mention of NY state Governor Paterson's announcement on Thursday in this thread, but I'll just assume that my fellow travelers have read about it.  Anywho, this following youtube clip where NYC Council Speaker, Christine Quinn, introduces the marriage bill on television is horribly moving in the best way.  I've made the argument on the board previously that Ms. Quinn is, contextually, the single most powerful current gay political figure in the US based on the amount of constituents she represents, both overall and in terms of the actual gay community (meaning over 8 million residents). And she achieved that distinction at the age of 39.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQO4xqxH0xY

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 01:29:00 pm »
Yup, that's one of Quinn's better moments.  I'm still hoping that once Bloomberg is done with us, she'll be NYC's next mayor.

And this must read about DOM's silly storm ad is one of Frank Rich's best moments:

The Bigots’ Last Hurrah
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/opinion/19Rich.html

Offline randym431

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 12:09:42 am »
yeah NY would be a nice gain.
Any word on Kalifornia yet ???

Offline randym431

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 01:43:59 pm »
A new ad OneIowa is running.
At least we're fighting back.
I havent seen it actually air yet,
but I think Im sending these guys a donation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33odacwy0y0&feature=player_embedded

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 07:03:33 am »
I like the ad too, Randy.  Much better than many of the No on 8 ads run last year in CA.  Thanks for posting this.  Let us know if you see it run on TV there.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 11:28:20 am »
Oh my... what will America become? lol

Offline denb45

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 12:04:38 pm »
Oh my... what will America become? lol

I dunno what it will become of America, but, I can't wait until the day, when EVERYONE has equal-rights across the board, that will be a GOOD DAY when it happens, and, I hope I live to see that day, then after it happens, I can truly DIE, in a better more equal World  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:06:52 pm by denb45 »

Offline randym431

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 03:13:27 am »
Well Monday the 27th is around the corner.
And creepy Fred Phelps is flying in on his broom stick
to do exactly what? ... I don't know.

And one iOwa legislator is telling county clerks NOT to
honor request from same sex for marriage license.
Another democrat legislator wants to bring charges
against this one legislator for telling clerks to disobey the law.

And some republicans are still telling the governor to put out some
directive to halt the supreme court’s ruling from taking place monday.
The governor is ignoring their requests and threats. Also he has
stated he does not have the power to stand in the way of any
ruling from the state supreme court.

What is scary to me is this one republican legislator vowing he will run for
governor in 2010. He is a total homophobe anti gay nutcase.
His talk and rants reminds me of hearing Hitler speeches. Pretty scary
to think what it would be like, here, if he were actually elected.
I can't believe in todays world people like him are tolerated.
It would be like someone running saying they wanted to re enact
slavery, lynching’s and reverse voting rights for blacks... And not be ran out of town
on a rail. The day they run someone like him out of town on a rail, would be
a great day to see.

Just allowing him to serve elected office, and rant the way he does, just shows me
how far we still have to go with the fight for rights.
How can civilized people tolerate his type?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 07:02:11 pm »
After public hearings which demonstrated considerable support for marriage equality, the joint judiciary committee of the Maine legislature just voted 11 - 3 that a full marriage equality bill "ought to pass without amendment." The state Senate will take up the matter next week. If you live in Maine, here's a guide to lobbying your state senator.

http://www.maine.gov/portal/government/edemocracy/lookup_officials.php

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »
Well, looks like New Hampshire might be next! Our state senate just passed HB 436, legalizing same sex marriage today, and a slightly different version of the bill was already passed by the house a couple of weeks ago. Now all that has to be done is reconcile the two versions and present it to our democratic Gov. Lynch. Keep my state in your good thoughts please that we may have equality too!
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline randym431

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 12:29:04 am »
Well everything went extremely smooth.
No one was denied a license that applied.
And creepy Fred Phelps canceled. Didn’t even get on the plane to des moines.
What I noted is some out of state same sex applied for a license.
I expect they will marry here, then go back to Ohio or Idaho and challenge
marriage laws in their home state.
For all the opponents rantings, the sky didn’t fall in or the world end.
And some 250 applied for license on Monday, the first day.
That’s @ $35 a shot or some $8700 in fee's to the state in one day.
Some recorders offices were decorated up with balloons and celebrations for the new same sex
applicants.
I think this same sex marriage thing just might take off... Let’s hope!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 12:45:06 am »
Ugh... this is one of the WORST things I've witnessed.  Watch Karl and Judy Schowengerdt talk with the Iowa Family Policy Center about how their son was "recruited" by evil homosexuals and gave him teh AIDS, costing God fearin' conservatives a quarter million dollars in treatment.

Keep those damn gays from marrying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw9sKC7yZpE

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.