Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:44:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 447
Total: 447

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: how to get further assistance  (Read 6807 times)

Offline Klehman89

how to get further assistance
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:02:15 am »
Soooooooo....I've been going to the doctor for several months and it was "suggested" that I start medicine but since I don't have insurance and I can't afford medication I filled out a medicine assistance application but supposedly I make to much money smh I'm trying to be proactive with all of this but how can get better if I don't have the medicine to do so????? Any advice????
As of: 04/2013 cd4 470
VL 10,000

Offline DrewEm

Re: how to get further assistance
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 01:34:58 am »
Weeeeellll....how about this: What state and metropolitan location are you in?

We have members from all over the globe so a location would help.

Offline Klehman89

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:08:18 pm »
@DrewEm
O ok lol well I live in Dallas TX and I'm under the Ryan white program as of now some ppl advise that the program takes care of medicine but some ppl say that's false so it's a bit confusing

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:23:06 pm »
but some ppl say that's false so it's a bit confusing

And who, pray tell, are these "some people"?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Klehman89

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »
The woman I filled my medicine app and also my so-called advocate ...are you saying that Ryan white program does help with medicine???

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:27:31 pm »
The woman I filled my medicine app and also my so-called advocate

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Was it a case manager from an AIDS Service Organization?

Technically it's called the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) and it's one of many components that falls under Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program. While there are federal guidelines for the program, each state sets qualification levels. It's also required that it be "payer of last resort" so if say, if you're on Medicaid, then that should pay for things before ADAP did. But basically if you have no coverage, and your income level is below the whatever the cut off is for the state of Texas, then you will have your HIV meds covered.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:29:17 pm »
the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) is Part B of Ryan White services (http://hab.hrsa.gov/abouthab/partbdrug.html). In Texas it's called the Texas HIV Medication Program (THMP)  and administered through the Dpt of State Health services http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/hivstd/meds/default.shtm

If you are not financially eligible for assistance most of the pharmaceutical companies offer patient payment assistance programs from their websites ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Klehman89

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:24:57 am »
@Miss Philicia
Since I've been under the Ryan White program I have been going to doctors appointments at Bluitt Flowers. My Doctor suggested medication in order for me to be proactive. She suggested that I apply for medication with the pharmacy rep at bluitt flowers as well(which i did). The representative told me that the program covers up to 3 years of medication and then I would have to reapply again. After sending my information to her we discussed the requirements in order for  me to be approved for the program and due to my income being  higher it was apparent that I would not qualify. So she told me that we would just try another program to see
if i was eligible for that and if I'm not we would resort to the Ryan white program... so here is my question is the Ryan white program I'm already under "part A"(for doctor visits) and the medicine portion I'm needing is it "part B"???

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:04:18 pm »
Ryan White Part B is for medications
http://hab.hrsa.gov/index.html

due to my income being  higher it was apparent that I would not qualify. So she told me that we would just try another program to see
do you have insurance? If so ADAP can pay premiums to help you get your medications. Also pharmaceutical companies have programs to help with co-pays.

The pharmaceutical companies also have programs (perhaps this is what they are looking at for you - Patient Assistance Programs) to help people who don't have insurance and aren't eligible for ADAP.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Klehman89

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:14 pm »
No sir I don't have insurance unfortunately  :-( I'm trying not to stress out but it's kind of hard not to because I really want to be cooperative with everything but the medicine portion is pretty difficult so far

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:36:23 am »
I'm trying not to stress out but it's kind of hard not to because I really want to be cooperative with everything but the medicine portion is pretty difficult so far
I can sympathize. I remember how it felt like I was "selling my soul to the devil" back when I first signed up for various benefits. ;D

However, take a deep breath and relax. If you haven't been sick lately, your numbers are no where near bad. Until recently, they didn't even talk about starting treatment until your cd4s dropped to 350. More recently, it was at 500 (and with the 100pts a day cd4s can change, you're still well within the "safe" zone). It's just been in the last short while, that they've talked about starting treatment immediately. So you still have plenty of time to get things worked out.

hang in there since it sounds like you have someone working on a solution to your case and best wishes for some quick resolution to it all.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.