Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:22:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 572
Total: 573

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 5:2 Fasting Diet  (Read 8833 times)

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
5:2 Fasting Diet
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:57:59 pm »
Need to lose weight. Am traditionally terrible at regular diets.

Some guy at work was talking about the current diet du jour, the one where you eat normally but have two fasting days per week at reduced calories.

Normally I'd consider diving in head first, but now am careful in case any particular faddy diet could have implications for PLWH.

I'm on a combo without any specific food requirements.

Anyone have any insight?
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline owt

Re: 5:2 Fasting Diet
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:06:07 pm »
Hey Cavey, yeah well i knew this diet by Intermittent fasting...

it worked for me (before chemo before ART before puff..  ) its supposed you have to reduce your calories intake to 600 calories 2 days per week... (if you do this 2 days straights works better but its harder)

i used to do it no more than 1 month straight went i started to feel "fatty", sounds easy but eating only 600 calories holy crap. and of course the other 5 days you should eat healthy enough but HEALTHY!

And i'm pretty sure this is not a very healthy diet but works... so you know if you want give it a try, and more important, if you continue for a long time maybe there's some consequences.  what can i say... try it but moderation hehe, maybe comment this with your DOC.
P.D. i saw a nutritionist... a deception... no good advices, she just gave me a list with my do and dont's, and she told that i'm an oncologic patient so i can't no consume less than 2k calories... puff... how pathetic are the medical services in MX (talking about the social security services not private) in that case i really prefer myfitnesspal app is more efficient.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 06:43:32 am »
yeah, I plan  to discuss it with my doctor this week.

Been reading more about it, and I'm interested in the possible benefits from a blood sugar/cancer biomarker side as well. Just need to ensure it's not going to be a bad thing to do meds wise, which is why I will discuss with doc.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 07:55:01 am »
Hey Cavy,
I struggle with my weight also.
That diet wouldn't work for me because I like to eat...lol
It also doesn't sound like a healthy thing to do to your body.

I have a stocky build and thats all there is to it.  I eat a lot of fish and I like pretty much everything...yes including fried foods and the fat around my pork chop  :)
I have found everything in moderation, after a plate of fried clams the next few days I try and eat more healthy .  I don't deprive myself of the foods i like, i just spread them out. Took me most of the winter to get this down and it has been working, my weight is staying stable. My big treat after fasting for labs is a nice greasy cheese burger ! Bottom line is binge dieting doesn't work , at least it hasn't for me.

Good Luck !   Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline owt

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 12:12:55 pm »
Hey Cavy,
I struggle with my weight also.
That diet wouldn't work for me because I like to eat...lol
It also doesn't sound like a healthy thing to do to your body.

I have a stocky build and thats all there is to it.  I eat a lot of fish and I like pretty much everything...yes including fried foods and the fat around my pork chop  :)
I have found everything in moderation, after a plate of fried clams the next few days I try and eat more healthy .  I don't deprive myself of the foods i like, i just spread them out. Took me most of the winter to get this down and it has been working, my weight is staying stable. My big treat after fasting for labs is a nice greasy cheese burger ! Bottom line is binge dieting doesn't work , at least it hasn't for me.

Good Luck !   Wade

Yeah the problem with this diet is when you like to eat a lot, or for me for example i suffer a lot of anxiety and feel hungry all the time, that's why i tell you this diet used to work for me but no more (before i was so strict about food and when i wanted to be in a regimen) since i'm on chemo and ART it's been so difficult try to control myself from eating a lot! :(

i'been considering another reasons: maybe it's the Paxil i take for depression, or Paxil boosted Ritonavir (hehe i mean Ritonavir increases the effects of Paxil for me) or simply the anxiety of my condition.

some oncologist tell me that is normal to gain weight when you are on chemo treatment cause your body is recovering from the very hard kind of treatment you're getting so you get very very hungry.

i suppose i have to try more exercise  other way soon i'll be rolling around u.u

for the moment i will try not to be obsessed with this situation, i'm finishing chemo soon, so i'll be able to stick to a diet or do more exercise!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:18:25 pm by owt »

Offline owt

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 12:21:08 pm »
yeah, I plan  to discuss it with my doctor this week.

Been reading more about it, and I'm interested in the possible benefits from a blood sugar/cancer biomarker side as well. Just need to ensure it's not going to be a bad thing to do meds wise, which is why I will discuss with doc.

yes, just be sure it is safe, and then if you stick to this diet (nothing of grassy burgers and fries on the 5 days hehe)  i'm sure you'll see good results soon!

good luck!

Offline RemyG1971

• E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa Try it to end the panic
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 11:24:52 am »
It might sound crazy but for two weeks try:

1. drinking nothing but water. I drink Smart Water & flavor it with Harney & Sons Herbal decaf raspberry tea & cut up lime.

2. Eating nothing but high water soluble fruit (watermelon, grapes, oranges, kiwi, apples, mango etc). Benefit is you get to eat as much as you want, your body will tell you when you have had enough. Easy to digest and it will change your life.

3. If really out of shape start off by taking it easy. Continue to challenge yourself. When the lbs start dropping try yoga, keep the joints limber. As they say once the joints go, you go.

This is coming from a 45 year year old male, that eats probably 80% fruit diet. I run, swim, bicicle, train in bjj, go to gym, play tennis, play volleyball, bikram yogi, surfer, skater, completed marathons & triathlons, so it works.

Change happens one person at a time=) Hope this helps...

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 06:45:08 am »
Hi Cavey,
Being diabetic I have to at least try to eat the right way.  Back in March I wound up in the hospital with sepsis, acidosis and acute kidney failure.  I dropped about 23 lbs in about 2 weeks.  And while my body suffered, I feel like while I was in the hospital I detoxed from a lot of the junk I was putting into it.  Because of course while in the hospital I had to follow a diabetic diet. 

Now I try to limit my sweets and snacking, which can be very hard for me to do.  I like to snack and I love sweets.  So when I snack now I try using those 100 calorie bags of popcorn and a (reduced fat) cheese stick, and maybe some fruit.  I've also gotten into eating more fresh veggies and fresh fruit.  It really is a learning process, to eat healthy. 

I also started exercising 4-5 days a week.  I have horrible knees, they both need replaced, are bone on bone, so I have to do exercises that won't make them worse.  A few years back I bought a recumbent stationery bike that I ride for 30-40 minutes, and every other day that I do exercise I do weight bearing exercises. 

I think exercising is important to keep the bones at least supported, and for our hearts etc.  Plus with me, if I do get knee replacements, I will supposedly have an easier time with the therapy afterwards with the exercising. 

You have to find what fits you.  Every person is different and what works for one doesn't work for another.  Good luck though!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 07:35:09 am »
It might sound crazy but for two weeks try:

1. drinking nothing but water. I drink Smart Water & flavor it with Harney & Sons Herbal decaf raspberry tea & cut up lime.

2. Eating nothing but high water soluble fruit (watermelon, grapes, oranges, kiwi, apples, mango etc). Benefit is you get to eat as much as you want, your body will tell you when you have had enough. Easy to digest and it will change your life.

3. If really out of shape start off by taking it easy. Continue to challenge yourself. When the lbs start dropping try yoga, keep the joints limber. As they say once the joints go, you go.

This is coming from a 45 year year old male, that eats probably 80% fruit diet. I run, swim, bicicle, train in bjj, go to gym, play tennis, play volleyball, bikram yogi, surfer, skater, completed marathons & triathlons, so it works.

Change happens one person at a time=) Hope this helps...

I suppose the normal recommendations of percentages are these:

Carbohydrates: 45-65% of calories
Fat: 20-35% of calories
Protein: 10-35% of calories

You are eating 80% carbo.

I would not recommend your diet to anyone.   Maybe as a crash diet.

IMO "Smartwater" is a gimmick. 

OP - generally a reducing diet is higher in fat and protein, and LOWER in carbs, than a maintenance diet.  But dropping out all the carbs, you reduce the caloric total.  Also fats make you feel like you are nourished despite a total reduction in daily calories.

It is also commonly understood that regular exercise helps weight loss if used with caloric restriction.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.