Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:35:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 403
Total: 404

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: does anyone know the HIV policy for X employee's?  (Read 5975 times)

Offline opps1980

does anyone know the HIV policy for X employee's?
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:59:55 am »
Hi

does anyone know the HIV policy for x employee's?

A friend of mine was recently fired because he tested positive for HIV at X X and X in Bangkok, Thailand after an HIV test that was actually illegal under Thai Law.

He was fired despite the fact he has been undetectable for many years.

When he was fired the manager who fired him said the reason was the policy in from the head office in France was not to employee anyone within x who is HIV+

I would like to know if this is true or my friend was lied to by this manager, because I find it surprising a company like the x group would have such a policy, however if this is a true x policy I think the community should be aware and boycott this brand.

If my friend was lied to by local management I would like to find out how to suggest to x to investigate this discrimination.

Many thanks for any replies

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:40:13 am by JimDublin »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: does anyone know the HIV policy for X employee's?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:27:55 am »
I know of a number of cooperate companies that have such policies, or global companies that have local entities that have separate policies. Its not something that would be applied globally as local laws sometimes prohibit discrimination based on health/HIV status. (I'm not saying its a good thing, I'm just aware of it)

Now I have removed the name of the company because not only is your post based on hearsay and could be deemed as slander but also because your friend might want to investigate if he/she has a case locally with a local lawyer or NGO and you might be damaging the options that may be open to your friend.

End of the day I doubt a French company would have a policy from France in-place globally for its employees as within France it might (Nearly certain it would) contradict Labour code, art. L.1132-1 but as your friend is in Thailand and working for a local version of the company, his/her contract would be with the local entity in this case a Thai company, and it would manage its employees subject to Thai Law

Jim
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:47:28 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »
It is illegal in France to discriminate based on HIV status, due to EU employment law

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_discrimination_law_in_the_European_Union

If it could be proven that the companies French head office are behind the anti-HIV policy then there could be a legal case to answer, as they are contravening EU Law.

Thailand however doesn't appear to have any robust anti-discrimination employment law when it comes to HIV, one of the reasons that discrimination is so rife there. It seems to have been rumoured that insurance costs are behind many companies anti-HIV policy.

Therefore, it is most likely a local decision and the manager just stood behind the 'head office policy' as a face-saving excuse.

As I'm no expert in Thai law, I'm not sure there is any direct recourse your friend has. It may be worth talking to some local HIV/AIDS organisations as they may have more insight into latest legislation and if any pressure to change policy could be applied.

I'd probably start here
https://thaiaids.org
http://www.aidsrightsthailand.com/

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline opps1980

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:36:16 am »
Thanks

Offline Expat1

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 07:52:47 am »
It is against Thai Law to discriminate.  But its done all the time.  But since it is a multinational corp.  There should be a Human Resources Department either in Thailand or in France that would have the power to 'correct' a boss who has stated a policy that is more likely just his or her own prejudice.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.