Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:15:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 650
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 594
Total: 595

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Exercise advice please? Kthx.  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Exercise advice please? Kthx.
« on: March 17, 2008, 10:23:04 pm »
Well. As much as I hate to admit it, I am about 20lbs overweight. Thank you testosterone injections. ;_;. I should be like 130. I'm in the 150s. I'm a 30/30 but for my body type I should definitely not be bigger than a 28/30. I'm a lil guy.

Anyways, I've lost a few lbs just watching what I've been eating but I want to rest to come off a bit more rapidly and healthily as I'm getting impatient and I want to be in good shape by the time I start university in August. I started running, and I'm awful at it (tonight I barely managed two miles in under a half hour, and that was combination running and walking).

I've got the diet thing under control really well to be honest. I average at about 1300-500 calories on days when I don't do a lot of exercise and on days when I really push myself I usually have 1700-2000.  Compared to what I've been burning that's anywhere from a 500 to a 1000 calorie deficit, which I'm told is pretty good, as long as it doesn't go over 1000.

Anyways. I guess what I'm looking for mostly is advice in the exercise area, like I said. I don't really have any desire to build much muscle. Just not my thing (and let's be honest it's not the 'look' right now ;D ) but I don't want to be squishy either, if that makes any sense. Just a little bit toned. How much should I be running? What's a good amount that I could expect to help me drop the excess weight and start toning up? What else could I do?

Offline fearless

Re: Exercise advice please? Kthx.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:29:24 pm »
Keep running squirt.
You'll get better and it is still one of the best, simplest and cheapest ways to lose the pounds.
You just have to be consistent with it and do it often. How many times a week are you running?
If you wanna get a little bit of tone up top without joining a gym and doing weights, I'd recommend swimming. Again, you'll get better over time and you gotta stick with it.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:34:18 pm »
Swimming.

It is awkward for trannies.

Otherwise I'd be all for it. But in a lot of pools and such they don't let you in with a shirt on and. Well. I don't really have much of a choice. But I do like to swim so it's a shame.

I just started running about 4 days ago and I've gone running at least once a day. Sometimes twice. Sometimes factored in with other exercisey thingies (I went rollerskating for a couple hours last night with my sister. We are so cool.)

Offline Magnus

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:41:09 pm »
Hi Mouse

If you want to loose weight you should do resistance exercise. This builds your muscles which will burn allow you to more calories at rest.

I don't really have any desire to build much muscle. Just not my thing (and let's be honest it's not the 'look' right now Grin ) but I don't want to be squishy either, if that makes any sense. Just a little bit toned. How much should I be running? What's a good amount that I could expect to help me drop the excess weight and start toning up? What else could I do?

Firstly don't worry you will not suddenly get really muscular! that's actually really difficult. Also, running will not make you toned.

I would advise you to get a set of dumbells but even without you can start with body weight exercises.

If you want to tone up + loose fat try:
3 sets of 10 push ups,
3 sets of 10 squats,
3 sets of as many pullups as you can do
3 sets of 15 crunches.

Then go for your run as normal.

Combine this with a healthy diet rich in protein and you should start firming up in no time :) oh did i mention resistance exercises will also boost your testosterone, strengthen your bones and improve your mood and appetite?  ;D

If you want to get more advanced with the weights I'm sure there are many Fitness enthusiasts who can give you better advice than me !

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 11:15:58 pm »
Hey Mouse

I know what has worked for me, but maybe I can maybe give you some advice.  I do two things one of which is with weights and the other is fitness related (yoga asana practice)

I do a lot of weight training with Therapy balls , half balls (the Bosu) and using the pulley systems in the gym. It's basically a core strengthening workout I do 3 times a week along with fast walking for 40 minutes prior. There are all kinds of abdominal exercises exercises you can do too.

The physical part of yoga or the asana practice might be good for you. Start slow and find a good teacher. There is a lot of McYoga out there that really isn't great for you. It's a lifetime practice, so you want to take it slow. But once you are strong enough, it can really kick your butt. Again its a lot about core strength and activating a lot of muscles most people don't use on a daily basis.

a word about tone. Tone is often confused with shape and appearance of muscles, which I think you are referring to. Muscle tone is more of a neurological response. But anyways.. (I deal with that stuff at work blah blah blah)

Well anyways, if you have questions...let me know if you'd like
sharkie

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:10 pm »
oh and another thing

do you like to work with a group or workout partner? or are you pretty self motivated?
I truthfully do better if I know I have to meet someone or there is some a group I feel comfortable with (like a yoga class)

Offline structuredjen

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:47:20 am »
Have you ever tried pilates?  I bough a DVD and loved it.

I was struggling to find ways to work out..I hated running, and really getting over-heated in general.

Then I discovered pilates (which is really similar to yoga).  It's slower movements, holding certain positions, etc.  I was amazed at the results..it really did tighten those loose areas up... and... it REALLY helps with flexibility  ;D

good luck!

Jen

Offline 31diver

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:14:07 am »
Hi,
I know that if I continually do the same work out routine, I get bored with it so I'm always changing it and mixing different exercises. Try looking into any parks near you that have a fitness circuit. They are the different stations along a path where you perform different exercises, ie, pull ups, squats, sit ups, etc. They're great to fit into a run. Also try changing up your run. One day go for a longer, steady pace jog, the next day, go for sprints, start with maybe 50 yards and work your way up. When I do them, I'll sprint 100 yards, then walk back to the starting point, then repeat.
Swimming is an excellent work out as well and I try to incorporate a good swim as often as possible. Depending on your area and weather, try the ocean or a lake. I usually do my swims in a lake behind a friends house. But obviously, if you do that make sure you are comfortable in the water and take precautions in case you need to self rescue in case of an emergency.
The most important thing is to do something, whatever is right for you, at your pace and work your way up,,,,,,
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:18:52 am by 31diver »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »
 Sounds Like allot of good advice to me .... I put an ad in the paper asking If someone wanted to give away exercise equipment , within days I had a a weight stack and tread mill. Most people buy them never use them and would like nothing better than to have someone haul the dusty things away for free. I find some light lifting and my treadmill with testosterone works well for me. I perfer to do my running and lifting in the air conditioning and in front of my TV.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.