Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:02:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Plus ça change ...  (Read 3145 times)

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Plus ça change ...
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
Despite changes in US legislation this http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/07/18/international-aids-conference-why-are-we-still-taken-to-a-secondary-room-at-immigration/ is what still happens...

Pat (who would really like to visit his US friends without this unpleasantness...)
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Plus ça change ...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »
However, for some of us who had already declared our HIV status to US immigration and travelled to the US on special visas, sadly very little has changed. Every time I get to the immigration desk at any point in the US, my HIV status gets flagged

If you do more than read the headline, that's the relevant passage. It seems that it's a bureaucratic oddity left over from this person getting a waiver to travel here before the ban was lifted two years ago.

It's odd that you would base a decision whether to travel here based on this. I was once rudely accosted by French authorities on a train crossing the border from Belgium for being a hashish dealer, because I had drawing charcoal in one of my bags. Should I have halted traveling to France for the past 25 years?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:01:22 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:44:31 am »
Thank you... I have read more than the headline.

I should have made myself more clear: this isn't about me. The situation described shows how much of a gap there can be between a new or changed legislation and the way it is (or not) applied. I am sure this situation will improve with time.

As per your travel story, sorry, I don't think it compares. It could have happened to anyone drawing with charcoals on that train, that day. Regardless of wether you were a foreigner or not. We've all met with rude ignorant civil servants, at home and abroad.
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:53 am »
After returning from a recent trip to Canada my partner and I were pulled from the line and sent to the holding area while they searched my car for ??

It had nothing to do with my HiV status and I am a citizen.  It happens.  Especially when security is hightened.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Rockin

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:23:03 am »
My last name is Assad and I'm goin go the UK now...I can only imagine what will happen on immigration. I do not have any relatives in the Middle East that I know of and I don't even know a single word in Arab but you know how these things can get...

Oh well at least my English is pretty good and I'm friendly, hope that can make it easier. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:36:01 pm »
An Arab Brazilian... color me intrigued.

Offline LM

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:45:07 pm »
An Arab Brazilian... color me intrigued.

Brazil has (supposedly) the largest Arab community outside the Middle East.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:52:55 pm »
Brazil has (supposedly) the largest Arab community outside the Middle East.

Yes, I have read that. However, most came from Christian communities of Lebanon or Syria so who gives a shit. I bet they still sin against the Baby Jesus leave the babies with foreskins.

ps: my HIV doctor is a Christian from Lebanon, with a pit stop in Paris :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:54:29 pm by Miss Philicia »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.