Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:51:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 419
Total: 422

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Those Aren't Birds!  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Basquo

Those Aren't Birds!
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:53:33 pm »
I was enjoying a late dinner; usually, I’ve got the curtains drawn and I’m getting ready for bed around sunset in the summer.

I looked out the window, and thought, “My!  Look at all the birds!  Where are they going at this time of day?  They should have already roosted.”

Then I remembered: the BATS!  I live about 4 blocks from the largest urban bat colony in either the Western or Northern hemisphere, can’t remember which it is. And in the three months since they’ve been back from Mexico, I hadn’t seen them yet!  I can hear and smell them when I walk along the lake, but I was thrilled that they fly so close to my home now.

It makes sense now that I live close to a major body of water but I’ve yet to see one mosquito this year.

All of the ones flying tonight are moms, all 750,000 of them.  Austin is a nursing colony, so they come from Mexico pregnant. By mid-August, the babies will be flying, so then we’ll have at least 1.5 million bats around until November.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Those Aren't Birds!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:59:42 pm »
That must have been a beautiful sight to see..lucky you, I hope you get some good photo's when the babies take flight.

so they come from Mexico pregnant

Thank God I'm too old to play up and I'm passed the child bearing age that's all I can say.. ;D

Big hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:00:43 pm »
Beautiful Basquo,
If you ever come to Sydney let me know, and I'll show you mine  :)
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:26:59 pm »
Very cool! I love bats. It's fun to throw a rock in their direction and watch them twirl.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:33:39 pm »
I have no desire to have bats flying around me when I'm outside; but, to each his own.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 12:04:00 am »
As you know, I love bats.

I am not especially fond of having them indoors, but, at least it is amusing watching my try to shoo them out the door.

We have big-eared bats here.

I have a bat house set up in my back yard.

Oh Creighton, had I known you were a wildlife lover I would never have let you go back to Texas. ;)

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:07:08 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:14:09 am »
wow....that's incredible.  What great pictures.  I've never seen such a thing.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:26:21 am »
Creighton, is that where they stay under the bridge and people gather at sunset to watch them take flight?  If so, that has been shown on TV. Don’t go down there if you have a low CD4, histo breeding ground. You took some great pics.

Rodney

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »
Creighton, is that where they stay under the bridge and people gather at sunset to watch them take flight?  If so, that has been shown on TV. Don’t go down there if you have a low CD4, histo breeding ground. You took some great pics.

Rodney

That's the bridge--formerly the Congress Avenue Bridge over Town Lake, now known as the Ann Richards Bridge over Lady Bird Lake. It's about 6 walking blocks from my place, but only 3-4 blocks if you swim (not recommended) or kayak (recommended.)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
My parents have bats that live under the rafters.  We love to sit outside at night and watch them fly out to feed.  Poor mom doesn't, however, like cleaning off all the patio furniture every morning.  There was one unfortunate bat that got in the house and knocked silly by the ceiling fans.

Great picture!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:48 pm »
Here on the Russian River, we do not really have a lot of bats.  I suppose in the rafters but we have an annual Big Bear Weekend and men fly in from around the world.  We also have Women's Weekend when women fly in from around the world.  We don't have a bat weekend

I do remember having a panic attack because a bat flew into my house through an open window.  I had just read Interview with a Vampire and I was running around the house with a tennis racket trying to heard it out the window.  That is probably the last day I looked at country living as attractive over the city.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.