Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:15:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 477
Total: 478

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alpha-Lipoic Acid experience  (Read 9080 times)

Offline Julkian

Alpha-Lipoic Acid experience
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »
Hi I'm Julkian from Mexico, I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago (april 2008) my levels that date where 385 cd4, 13,085 VL, in Mexico ARV's are given by medical standars when CD4 are lower than 350, so I was not given any ARV, I'm being out of then since then, with my numbers improoving and then stand stable aroun Cd4 from 700-900, with VL under 1,000 (once I was undetectable, under 40 VL in Oct 2010).

When diagnosed I search for options and I found a doctor who recomend me a Diet full of red vegetables and the intake of Glutamine, Zinc, Sellenium, and Alphalipoic Acid, From wich I keep with glutamine at gym days (I also increase my weight from 145lb to 172 with 14-15% of body fat for a 5'9" height) And I take 600mg of Alphalipoic Acid everyday sometimes in only one dosis some others divided in  2 1 before sleeping the other just after waking up.

I found this info about alpha-lipoic acid:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1724477
http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/10956377
http://loyolauniversity.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=48&pid=48&gid=10292

So i guess it has been working with me, but I havenīt known anyone who has tried with Alphalipoic acid, anyone here have experienced with this antioxidant? any other complement that may help me to stay healthy? or is just that my numbers reflect the usual development of the HIV inffection?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Alpha-Lipoic Acid experience
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:24:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum . I am happy to hear you have manged to hold your own without HIV meds for so long .

Its important to note that where some people are slow progressors or elite controllers and can maintain without meds for some time we would not want to give the impression that anything other then ART therapy has any impact on controlling HIV .   

There are no supplements or antioxidants that impact HIV significantly only HAART therapy will save your life if you do not fall into the elite controller or slow progressor category . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Julkian

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »
Welcome to the forum . I am happy to hear you have manged to hold your own without HIV meds for so long .
Thanks! is some kind of a goal, try to stay free from ARV's as long as possible of course with out being in any kind of health danger because of it.

Its important to note that where some people are slow progressors or elite controllers and can maintain without meds for some time we would not want to give the impression that anything other then ART therapy has any impact on controlling HIV .
Of course not, I'm aware of the problems that can happen when someone with HIV does not take any madication, I've been trough the death of so loved friends because they did not take care opportunetely 

There are no supplements or antioxidants that impact HIV significantly only HAART therapy will save your life if you do not fall into the elite controller or slow progressor category .
I'm Sorry, I can't take anything for granted, that's why i placed the links of the studies I have found about Alpha Lipoic Acid, I had found also information about Ca-Sp, I know eventually will come the day i will need HAART therapy, in USA I think you can get medication when you get 500cd4 with out considering the VL, in Mexico es quite diferent and medication is given when de Cd4 are under 350, and reach certain level of VL (I'm not sure of the numbers of VL).
I know I'm not able to control the progress of the HIV in my body, But i need to feel that I'm doing something, and of course something that is documentated, I don't run to the veggie store in my neighbourhood to buy an exotic herb and prepare a complicated infusion to have this feeling, as far as I can't get HAART right now, I try to be as healthy as possible with a concious acting and my concern is that: What can I do to keep myself healthy until is time to start my HAART Therapy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:01:47 pm »
Welcome here. Congratulations on you long run staying healthy. It probably comes down to your genetics - good HIV fighter, but also your healthy lifestyle, staying fit and a good frame of mind can't hurt.
As for Alpha-Lipoic - my experience it this. I took it for a number of years. But, when I switched to an Infectious Disease doctor and research scientist at the University of Geneva Medical School/Center, he told me to STOP anti-oxidants completely, since I have a healthy diet.  He says anti-oxidant supplements - he suspects might actually be a bad thing, could even feed cell damage or promote cancer. 

This advice may be based on me being on HIV antivirals, so perhaps there is a benefit for those who are not....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Julkian

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 04:00:25 pm »
Mi new stats are here
CD4:745, VL:270 so here I'm, year 6 of being detected, year 6 with no medication, hope thing kept ad they are with health as long as possible  ;)

Offline kaamos

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »
Hi:

Iīm from Colombia. I was taking ALA, and being with antiretroviral treatment, īcause i read about mithocondrial toxicity on AZT, thatīs one of my meds, i began to use ALA. Iīm conscious about isssues with cancer, but i took my risks, īcause mithocondrial damage is one of the reasons īcause cancer appears, once cancer stablished ALA and antioxidants give more pow to cancer cells :\. Other issue is that common antioxidants donīt work targeted direct to mithocondria, anyway i had nice results i was lossing a little of hair, that proccess stoped, and my skin looks very nice. Suplements works in difeerents ways for everyone. ALA is also was considered as antiretroviral medication see this

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01649442

My CV is under 20 copies and my CD4 are 834, after suffer dementia by hiv, four years since then.

See ya

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:52:23 pm »
ALA is also was considered as antiretroviral medication see this

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF01649442

In the 1980s! That article is dated 1991.  It is not an antiviral medication.  But you know that.  ;D

Glad you are doing well on your HAART and yeah be careful with those antioxidants.  Any movement on your country stepping up to combos that do not include AZT? 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 04:18:39 am »
I've been taking it with HIV meds for over ten years.  It was recommended along with the other supplements in your second article, by Virgel on TheBody.com.

You might also want to consider adding Neem, Chaga, and curcumin (turmeric).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:21:19 am by MitchMiller »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.