Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 356
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's everyone reading these days?  (Read 18178 times)

Offline gordonh28

• Share your life Stories, they will listen.
    • Facebook
Re: What's everyone reading these days?
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 09:50:06 pm »
I am reading a great book on Harry Houdini.
It is called The Secret Life of Houdini, The making Of America's First Superhero.
He was much more than we all thought, an amazing man.
I picked it up because on of my ex-lovers was a magiican, but this is more about Harry's life, as an international spy, and the magic was a great cover. I am only a fourth of the way through the book, so far..great
 :)
Gordonh28 ( Al )

I have been in St Pete, Fl. for 9 years.
Moved here from Miami, I lived there for 12 years. (Diagnosed in 1995)

Labs
02/28/2008 VL>25    CD4>837 CD4%>37
05/08/2008 VL>25    CD4>875 CD4%>35
08/26/2008 VL>25    CD4>578 CD4%>38
11/04/2008 VL>25    CD4>879 CD4%>34
02/24/2009 VL>25    CD4>833 CD4%>36
05/04/2009 VL>25    CD4>762 CD4%>37
08/25/2009 VL>25    CD4>823 CD4%>37
10/21/2009 VL>25    CD4>1025 CD4%>34
03/13/2010 Vl>25     CD4>745  CD4%>34
04/06/2010 VL>25    CD4>877  CD4%>35
Norvir/Comb/Lexiva

Offline marco23

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 10:01:01 pm »
I started a book my Dr wrote back when I tested positive - called "My Own Country" by Abraham Verghese, it's about his experiences with HIV and AIDS patients when he first came to the US...he was so proud having to have his book published and I went to his book signing, he signed it with so much pride...I kind of remember his book was made into a movie on Showtime but there wasn't too much publicity....just wanted to mention that...it's a very good book.
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline Robert

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 11:02:44 pm »
Carl...

You're so lucky!  I've heard David  Sedaris sing it on the radio, or was it a tape?  I can't remember.  David's sister Amy has the same dry, wicked humor.  I would love to see them live. 

robert

(living out in the boondocks has its drawbacks.  The only thing live we get are tractor pulls.)

Offline Jean-Yves

• Meow!
    • Home for Sign of the Tiger
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2007, 12:42:52 am »
Besides this forum...."The Viandier of Tailavant" as translated by Terence Scully. 15th century cookery at its best.
Jean-Yves

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2007, 12:51:31 am »
Am waiting for The Children of Men at the library - 9 whole copies for this dusty little town!
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2007, 10:14:16 am »
I've mainly been indulging in light stuff recently - I need the escapism right now. Stephen King and John Grisham for fiction, Augusten Burroughs for something autobiographical. (Mr Burroughs is hilarious - if you haven't read any of his work, I recommend you do.)

I've also started Islam The choice of Thinking Women. I bought the book in Liverpool, but the link I provided appears to be an on-line edition. I'm reading it because of the debate in the UK about women wearing various forms of the veil and whether or not it prevents Muslim women integrating into British society and culture. I'm trying to understand why some women chose to wear the niqab - it goes against every feminist fiber in my body. There are a few books available at that shop addressing the issue of the veil specifically, but I wanted to start with something about women and Islam in general, to get an over-view first.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cwd11

• Try rising into love, rather than falling in it.
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2007, 01:42:19 pm »
Covering: The Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights by Kenji Yoshino

Left to Tell: Discovering God Admist the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2007, 07:48:20 pm »
"The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen

and

"Chirst the Lord - Out of Egypt" by Anne Rice  (I miss the vampires and witches, Anne -- write some more!)

I haven't decided what else I'll be reading on vacation but should be some more (I've got a 5 hr and a 6 hr flight each way).

Mike

Offline chris_in_georgia

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2007, 07:54:02 pm »

"Chirst the Lord - Out of Egypt" by Anne Rice  (I miss the vampires and witches, Anne -- write some more!)

Mike

Let me know if this is worthy of my time. Thanks, Chris
"I wear my life right on my sleeve. Where I've been has left it's mark on me."http://www.jodeemessina.com/music/index.html

Poz since '88 - in it for the long haul.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2007, 02:26:32 am »
Just a few random responses.

Joemutt: I know Vikram Seth. He's a sweetheart. (Don't hate me!) But his best book is still The Golden Gate.

David25luvit: I am so planning on reading Rupert's book soon. I've loved him since 1984 (Another Country came out then I think). And he seems smart.

Marco23: My Own Country -- ah, a good book, sir, a good book. (Terrible made-for-TV movie.)

Ann: Not a fan of Augusten Burroughs. But I've been reading some things on Islam too. Islam in the World by Malise Ruthven: rather good, I thought.

Jay

Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2007, 09:07:41 am »
If you liked that one Philly, Ive read a bit of this one and it's my next book:

The Island in the Center of the World - Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony that Shaped America - Russell Shorto

I bought this yesterday and will bread it on the train togay.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2007, 10:15:36 am »
Hi Jay,

I'm curious. Why are you not a fan of Mr Burroughs? He's neurotic, to be sure, but he makes me laugh. I have to admit I take many of his stories with a proverbial pinch of salt.

I'll have to check out that book on Islam you're reading.

I bought this yesterday and will bread it on the train togay.

Are you going to deep-fry it after you bread it? That's a novel approach to reading! :D And did you mean "too gay"? As a literary criticism perhaps?

hehehee... Sorry darlin', couldn't resist! :D You can slap me now!

Ann
(who doesn't normally comment on typos  ;) )
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2007, 04:38:27 pm »
With great embarrassment I admit I haven't read a new book in at least 5 years (since I stopped working in a library after 20 years).

I do re-read a few books, though:  A confederacy of dunces, Is there no place on earth for me?, the E.F. Benson Lucia series, and Jane Austen's few novels.  I recently re-read William Hjortsberg's Falling Angel, which scared the bejezus out of me when I read it 25 years ago.

Is there no place on earth for me? is one of the saddest and most hilarious books I've ever read.  The writing could be a bit better but the "plot" is a true account of one schizophrenic young woman's tortured life in and out of mental hospitals.  The book is profoundly sad because of the plight of the seriously mentally ill, especially those using public services, but the main character, "Sylvia Frumkin," has some of the most hilarious monologues during her worst episodes you can't help laughing.  My profile page has a short snippet from one of her monologues but you should really read the entire book.  Even though it's now over 20 years old (the real "Sylvia" died in a public mental hospital from [unnecessary but unnoticed]  complications from diabetes 10 years ago) the book's depiction of the public mental health system for New York is, if anything, a rosier picture than one of the system today. 

Boo

P.S.  I almost forgot To kill a mockingbird
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2007, 04:48:10 pm »
"Your Best Life Now" Joel Osteen

How to go straight in 3 weeks" By Mr. Full of lies
Positive since 1985

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2007, 04:50:30 pm »
A confederacy of dunces is one of the funniest books I've ever read.  parts were side splitting.  I recenty read:
"The Hypocondriacs Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have" by Dennis DiClaudio
A short description of a few horrendous, rare disorders with tongue in cheek.  For example: Alien Hand Syndrome or Cavernous Sinus Granulomatosis.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2007, 05:17:27 pm »
" Homemade Silencers "  its fascinating.....
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.