Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 343
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Inconsiderate people !!  (Read 24943 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Inconsiderate people !!
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:58:54 pm »

I started my work week this past Sunday night, to one of my fellow employees Hacking, sneezing, coughing, and telling me all about his body aches. I told him he needs to go home. That he doesn't need to be spreading this crap around. He refused to do so, and has been there since Sunday night. I've been keeping my distance, or at least trying.

It almost as thought this individual has to announce his presence to me, by hacking and spewing all over the place. What the hell is wrong with people.

Well, I woke up about 2 hours ago, and sure enough, body aches, dry, sore scartchy throat, and a nasty cough.  Looks as though I got it ! I feel like absolute shit, and it's too late to call into work tonight. I have a weeks vacation that starts on Friday morning, hopefully I'l be better by then.

I may just call in sick tomorrow and Thursday night. I don't need my vacation ruined ! Sucks !

Ray >:(
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline YaKaMein

Re: Inconsiderate people !!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »
that's it ... i'm keeping a distance of 4 or more feet from others, wearing gloves, masks and showering in sanitizers ... people can be very inconsiderate
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:30:32 pm »
Sorry you're starting to feel sick, Ray.   It seems that some people want to spread their illness around so others join them in their misery.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better by Friday. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »
when i was recovering from the pnuemonia, i had a serious germ-ophobia going on and was living like a hermit. Although I don't go running out of the grocery store leaving behind my cart when someone sneezes anymore, it still freaks me out.  :D

The last time I was sick was when my friends "brought" some bug over to my house back in Sept. right after I moved into my new home. ::) I've been pretty well for too long, and had to have a "chat" with them again about my immune system (or lack thereof) and their germs. ;) It must've worked as all my sick friends stayed at their homes for the holidays  ;D

Hope you get better soon and enjoy that vacation!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:23:45 pm »
Geez Ray, that does suck - big time.

I guess some people, such as your coworker,  just don't get it.

I went to have my blood draw today (I know, a day late, but that's another story.)

So, there I am in a small room at the hospital when the phlebotomist, who had just succeeded in sticking and bruising my arm, announced she hoped the weather improves so she can get over the cold she has.

This is a hospital employee!

Sometimes, the stupidity of people just amazes me.

Hope you feel better soon.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:55 am »
I've been sick over the holidays for the same reason - people who refuse to stay at home and keep their germs to themselves. Pisses me off no end. And yes, I did stay home while sick. I missed out on three Christmas/New Years celebrations for this very reason - ones that I was very disappointed to have to miss. Did I mention it pissed me off?  >:(

Some people seem to think it's some sort of badge of honour when they continue to work/socialize while sick. It's more like a badge of stupidity, if you ask me. Anytime I run into someone who should be at home with their germs, I tell them how I feel in no uncertain terms. Then I go wash my hands.

Hope you feel better soon, Ray.

Ann
(who's sick of being sick this winter!)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Texan38

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:12:04 am »
Oh, man, I'm so sorry! I hope you get well very soon! Lot of vitamin C!!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:12:44 am »
Thanks All...

Made it through last night OK. Bought the Alka Seltzer cold medication at Walgreens last night on the way into work. Getting a little feverish, but not too bad. It's time to go to bed !! I know exactly what to do , when I get like this. Lots of sleep, and juice !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:26:22 am »
Ray, I hope you start feeling better.  I'm sure your co-worker just thought he'd help you rebuild your immune system :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jennynyc7

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:51:45 am »
Ughhhhh that irritates the crap out of me!!!!! It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I will straight up tell someone they are inconsiderate. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

j
12/24/07-infected
1/3/08-ARS began
2/12/08-diagnosed
Initial Vl=99000
CD4=585
2/14/08-began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
3/01/08=Swapped Reyataz for Viramune
5/1/08:     vl= undetectable
                cd4=1250
10/24/08:  vl=undetectable
                cd4=1172 (55%)

12/4/08:    vl=254 (hopefully just a small blip)
                cd4=1234

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:16 am »
Some people seem to think it's some sort of badge of honour when they continue to work/socialize while sick.
here in the States, my friends frequently go to work at their barely-above-minimum-wage jobs even when they're sick. No work means no money and that means homelessness, if you're not careful. In this 24/7 never-shut-down society, bosses no longer care if you're sick or not. No one is encouraged to stay home anymore when sick. If you call off sick a day or two, they'll just replace you with someone else that's looking for a job. Then, after working while sick, it just becomes second nature to hit the stores and do other errands, spreading germs as they go. ::)

Thinking about everyone's germs out there is starting to get to me. I think I'll just stay home today and NOT go grocery shopping. ;D

Get well soon Ray!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:11 am »
Here you go Ray, just for you.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:43 am »
when i was recovering from the pnuemonia, i had a serious germ-ophobia going on and was living like a hermit. Although I don't go running out of the grocery store leaving behind my cart when someone sneezes anymore, it still freaks me out.  :D

Hey leatherman...........I still act like that, I wash my hands every time I go outta of the house, and touch  other doors, even at the Food Mart, I always wipe down my cart, I even wiped down my NEG- BF, and told him to take a shower ( if he wants sex) sometimes I tend to take my germ-ophobia a bit too far, but I just don't want to get sick, if i don't have to............he thinks I'm a little crazy with all of this stuff..........LOL

If your sick STAY HOME, and get well, it's RUDE to spread your sickness around to others, who didn't ask for it, I Hate people who do shit like that..........hope you get well soon Ray  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 12:04:31 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 08:26:15 am »
We had friends, fully aware of Mini's status, bring her kids to a BBQ. When they arrived in long sleeved shirts, I wondered, but didn't say anything.  I was watching all the kids play when the mom said to our host, a doctor, "oh, I figured as long as they were covered, then they would be ok."  I asked what was wrong, and she informed me that 3 of her kids had chicken pox.  I was horrified!  We grabbed our kids and left.  4 of our kids, including Mini, ended up with pox.  Mini had them for 24hrs and then was put on massive doses of antivirals and antibiotics.  They lasted a total of just under 48hrs - just enough for her to get the immunity. Our youngest ended up with blood infections.  I mean COME ON!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 04:52:32 am »
I was recently at a family Christmas party and my "father-in-law" (for lack of a better term) was sick but really wanted to see everyone so one of his daughters bought him a box of surgical masks to wear.   :D   

I was a great image ... but better safe than getting a his grandkids sick.   

Just thought I'd share a not everyone is inconsiderate story.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 07:46:14 am »
here in the States, my friends frequently go to work at their barely-above-minimum-wage jobs even when they're sick. No work means no money and that means homelessness, if you're not careful. In this 24/7 never-shut-down society, bosses no longer care if you're sick or not. No one is encouraged to stay home anymore when sick. If you call off sick a day or two, they'll just replace you with someone else that's looking for a job.

It is sometimes inconsiderate to go to work sick. But as Leatherman points out, it also depends on the work environment and whether sickness is accepted or not. Its not always the sick person's fault, but sometimes just the the pressures of making a living. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:01 am »
It is sometimes inconsiderate to go to work sick. But as Leatherman points out, it also depends on the work environment and whether sickness is accepted or not. Its not always the sick person's fault, but sometimes just the the pressures of making a living. 

It's also inconsiderate for people to post in this forum that are not Long-Term Survivors.

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:32 am »
It's also inconsiderate for people to post in this forum that are not Long-Term Survivors.

Introductory message:
"At the same time we hope that those who are newer to living with HIV will be able to benefit from the knowledge and experience that will be shared here. We are not excluding anyone from participating here, but we do ask that you be mindful of the special needs for which this particular Forum has been established. 

Thank you for your cooperation."

I have been informed that there are instances in which I should not post to this forum.

I navigate poz forums by reading "unread" - which composites all sections. Therefore long-term survivor posts show up. I did not see anything wrong in posting to this particular topic, which seems quite general.

Are you telling me I can never post to long-term survivors? Is this YOUR personal wish or opinion or a rule of the forum?

Thank you for clarification here or via PM.  If you have personal problem with me, take it up with me but don't sensor me without explanation.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:01:37 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 08:25:22 am »
Welll.....

Did nothing but sleep yesterday. I called into work around noon on Thursday, to let them know I would not be in that night.

Now, I am officially on vacation, still feeling like crap. My throat is completely raw, but doing much better after gargling with salt water. My lungs are starting to clear up. At least I am not as achy as I was the last two days. Yesterday and last night was the worse !!

Thanks everyone---Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 08:37:47 am »

Just wanted to add. Last night Ed said my lungs sounded like an Expresso machine ! :P
Supposed to be a nice sunny day today, go out and see if I can get some color on my face !

Much, much better.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 08:38:14 am »
mecch -- This forum is mainly intended for LTS's to commiserate.  Regardless of how your browse the forums, please be mindful of which forum you are replying in.  Feel free to browse this forum for insights, but we generally discourage newbies from attempting to offer advice here.

Thanks for helping us out in this regard.

Peter

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 09:09:55 am »
Peter,

Thank you for making this clear.

Perhaps change, therefore, the introductory message to SPELL IT OUT.

PS -- I was not aware that my comment to this post was "advice".

I figured out last time i did, that I could not post advice here.

I shall no longer post here, at all.

Daschung - it was not by inconsideration that I posted here.  But ignorance and misinformation in the Introductory Message.

Best to all

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 10:34:50 am »

Just wanted to add. Last night Ed said my lungs sounded like an Expresso machine ! :P
Supposed to be a nice sunny day today, go out and see if I can get some color on my face !

Much, much better.

Ray

Ray, I hope you start feeling better so you can enjoy your vacation. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 10:41:46 am »
Just don't push things too fast, Ray. ;) Some germ that went around here in Ohio back in Sept/Nov kept most everyone sick 3-4 days, though I was sick with the same thing for a couple extra days.

I was recently at a family Christmas party and my "father-in-law" (for lack of a better term) was sick but really wanted to see everyone so one of his daughters bought him a box of surgical masks to wear.
when I went to visit my family for Christmas, my mom (who doesn't see me often; but obviously still thinks of me as being "very ill") brought Airborne and Purell for everyone in the family at our get-together. ;D She also had a surgical mask for me to "wear on the plane"; but my 250 tcells have always been enough and I didn't want to be a security problem LOL (besides, a guard dog at the airport had already been barking at my carry-on where I had some weed stashed. ROFL)

Hope you keep improving and get to enjoy the majority of your vacation!
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 03:41:08 pm »
Hope you feel much better soon, Ray.

I rolled along for YEARS without ever getting a cold/flu, or bug.   I would be at work (with AIDS) and everyone else would have to be out "sick".

Now, it seems I get a bad cold at LEAST once or twice a year, usually at the first of winter, and at the first of summer.

Oh, and about wearing masks, I had to wear one back in the early-mid 90's when I had single digit T cells, low white blood counts, and was still working as an Auditor for the State of GA full time.   People looked at me like I had two heads....but it was for MY protection, not theirs.   I also have a MAJOR problem with people coming to work sick and spreading it around, and am quite vocal about it and very obvious in "avoiding" them if I know they are ill.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 02:06:44 pm »
Ray,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are sick on your vacation.  I hope you get better soon.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 05:38:17 am »
Hey guys.  I'm going through the same germophobia thing lately after my recent hospitalization.  Been a Hermit for months now.

Over the last few years I bounced in a bar and was amazed at how many people would go out drinking while sick, even with fevers!!!  And of course I would catch every damn cold, flu and stomach bug they had.

This season there seems to be a very bad cold virus that goes straight to the ears and lungs.  And once it hits the lungs it sounds like a cement mixer in there.  I just got over that one a few weeks ago and my left ear still hasn't opened up yet.  Bad stomach bug going around here too.  Thankfully I've been spared that one so far.

Working sick I can maybe understand... but drinking???

Offline aztecan

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 10:18:52 am »
Hey LTS,

We have had a few nasty bugs running around here as well, including the one that hits the lungs and ears.

There is another respiratory one here that lasts four to six weeks. It is down and out nasty and no fun. I know, I had it.

Hope you stay bug free.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »
Just a brief update,

Just when you think the worse is over, you find out the worse is yet to come. Been a very crappy last two days.

Spent Saturday in bed. By 9:00 Sat night Temp went up to 101.6 and maintained that for about 5 hours. It's now down to 97.6

Been on Nyquil every 4 to 6 hours. Stopped taking my Meloxicam,lipitor for the time being. Also managed to drop about 4 pounds in weight since I posted this thread. I knew that was going to happen.

Otherwise, I am hanging in there, and quite comfortable right now !

Thanks again everyone----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 12:15:23 pm »
Just a brief update,

Just when you think the worse is over, you find out the worse is yet to come. Been a very crappy last two days.

Spent Saturday in bed. By 9:00 Sat night Temp went up to 101.6 and maintained that for about 5 hours. It's now down to 97.6

Been on Nyquil every 4 to 6 hours. Stopped taking my Meloxicam,lipitor for the time being. Also managed to drop about 4 pounds in weight since I posted this thread. I knew that was going to happen.

Otherwise, I am hanging in there, and quite comfortable right now !

Thanks again everyone----Ray

Well we've all been there before, and I'm glad your feeling better, at least your fever broke, and that's a real good thing  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »
Thanks, Mark.

Yeah, this season is one of the worst in recent memory.  The one I had had lung issues that lasted four weeks.  And the ear thing just wont go away.

But with starting meds for the first time in 22 years and dealing with side effects, the ear thing is kinda being ignored by my doctor right now.  He keeps telling me to give it time.

Does drug induced neuropathy ever fade (Viramune/Truvada?  My feet are getting to be annoying.  Not agonizing, but annoying enough to mess with my sleep.  I'm taking Acetyl L-Carnitine.  1g twice daily.

Offline edfu

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 03:30:16 am »
I caught the bug in October (my flu shot was scheduled to be given in November), and I literally don't leave my apartment except to go to the supermarket.  Very high fever and an incredible amount of phlegm I was continuously spitting up 24/7.  I had to force myself to eat.  I saw my doctor after a week of this, because I was convinced I had bronchitis.  He made me get X-rays, diagnosed bacterial pneumonia, and put me on Levaquin (one a day for 7 days).  My last labs before this showed over 500 T-cells, and I asked him how I could have gotten this, especially since I was up to date with pneumococcal vaccine.   

He said, "Shit happens."

My next labs, a month after I had recovered (it took about three weeks), I had lost over 200 T-cells.   

If your symptoms last more than a week, Ray, don't hesitate to see a doctor.  Get well soon.   

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 07:41:58 am »
"

My next labs, a month after I had recovered (it took about three weeks), I had lost over 200 T-cells.   

If your symptoms last more than a week, Ray, don't hesitate to see a doctor.  Get well soon.   

My next labs are scheduled for this coming Thursday the 15th. I am going to suggest that we put that off a liitle bit, until I am full recovered. I'l get the doctors thoughts on that, when I see him this week. If I lost over 200 t-cells on this cold, that means I woulod only have about a 100 left !! Hopefully it won't be that bad.

My last blood work done on 10/13/08 CD-4 cells were only at 323 !  Ouch ...

As far as today goes, Ed has a luncheon engagement, with some of his past co-workers. I am going to drive down to Largo and take a walk around Taylor lake. I need to get outside. I am not too good being closed in this length of time. It's supposed to get up to about 67 degrees today, with a 30% chance of rain. Maybe it will hold off until after the walk ! Feeling better each hour !

Thanks ---Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:53 am »
Hey Ray,

Good to hear you are feeling better and wanting to get out of the house.

Keep it up.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Robert

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34:12 pm »

ray

that walk in the sunshine will do you a world of good.  ENJOY~~

robert

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 03:03:40 pm »

Had my quarterly labs drawn today at the doctors office. Doctor told me that my lungs sounded very clear. Temp was normal, Blood pressure, very good, with a good pulse rate. ( So thats good ) Felt I didn't need any antibiotics, my body was doing pretty well taking care of this very nasty cold !

We talked a little bit, he's going to have me stop the Lipitor, for a little while, and see if that makes any difference, on some of the muscle aches and cramps that I've been having for a while. So, I"l see how that goes.

Other than that,...Everything's going as well as can be expected.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 03:33:20 pm »
That's great news, Ray!

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 08:29:43 pm »
I'm sure many of you have seen the commercials for this stuff. It seems to help me get better quicker.
Just wanted to pass it along for those of you who had never heard of it.

Glad you are doing better Ray!

http://airbornehealth.com/index.php

Offline LTSurviver

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 08:48:23 pm »
http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/04/news/companies/airborne_settlement/index.htm

Airborne and other vitamin suppliments that claim to prevent colds are pure snake oil.

Airborne settles lawsuit for $23.3 million

The herbal supplement firm will settle class action lawsuit that alleges false advertising; money will be refunded to consumers, non-profit advocacy group says.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Airborne - the herbal supplement company that once claimed to help fight off colds - will pay $23.3 million to settle a class-action lawsuit brought against the company for false advertising, according to one of the groups that joined the suit.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit advocacy group, said the company will refund money to consumers who bought Airborne's product. It will pay for advertisements in major publications instructing consumers on how to get their money refunded.

"There's no credible evidence that what's in Airborne can prevent colds or protect you from a germy environment," said CSPI Senior nutritionist David Schardt. "Airborne is basically on overpriced, run-of-the-mill vitamin pill that's been cleverly, but deceptively, marketed."

According to the company's Web site, Airborne was created by second-grade teacher, Victoria Knight-McDowell, who "studied the benefits herbal therapies used in Eastern Medicine." The site says Airborne "boosts the immune system with seven herbal extracts and a proprietary blend of vitamins, electrolytes, amino acids and antioxidants."

A recorded message at the toll-free number of the class-action settlement administrator said that Airborne Health Inc. has admitted no wrongdoing. Airborne Inc., Airborne Health Inc. and Knight-McDowell Labs are among the defendants in the class action lawsuit, filed in the Central District of California in U.S. District Court.

"Defendants deny any wrongdoing or illegal conduct," the message says, "but have agreed to settle the litigation."

A hearing to consider final approval of the settlement is scheduled for June 16.

Airborne changed their advertising campaign when a plaintiff filed suit against the company in March 2006.

That came after an ABC News report disclosed that the company's clinical trials were not conducted by doctors or scientists, but instead carried out by two laypeople.

Advertisements stopped mentioning the study and cold-curing claims and instead touted claims that it helped boost the body's immune systems.

In late 2006 the CSPI joined the suit as co-counsel against Airborne and in 2007 the Federal Trade Commission and an assembly of state attorney generals began investigating the firm's cold-curing claims professed since its creation in 1999.

Customers interested in more information about how to recieve a refund should log onto www.airbornehealthsettlement.com.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »
when I recently visited family out of state for Christmas, my mom was all worried (should I mention that she is a hypochondriac? ::)) about my younger brother and his family having just gotten over colds. She pulled me and my grandmother aside when we got to my brothers for our Christmas party and pushed us into taking airborne. It didn't taste too bad and it was effervescent ;D, but both my grandmother and I turned at the same time, when mom turned her back, and poured the rest down the sink drain. When mom questioned us about the our empty cups and laughter, my grandmother lied (Ooooo! :o) and said we drank it all and were just laughing at a joke. :D

I stayed at my grandmother's house that night after the party and the following day. Though my grandmother and I usually discuss our doctors, health problems, and living without our "husbands" (obviously a LTS issue, as a 46 yr old really shouldn't have that much in common with a 92 yr old woman), anytime one of us would sneeze, stub their toe, talk about our failing eyesight or health, the other would cry out "quick! take some airborne". ;D

I hadn't laughed so hard in months. I'm going to call my grandmother tonight and tell her about this lawsuit settlement. I'll let her have the fun of telling my mom.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 10:51:00 am »
Ray,
I hope you are feeling even better today!

Sharkie

Offline aztecan

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:30 am »
Hey Ray,

Glad you are feeling better.

Regarding the Lipitor and achy muscles, I understand completely. I have the same problem.

Did your doctor check your CPK levels?

My understanding is your CDKs are supposed to be between 200 and 300. Mine, unfortuately, were 959 the last test about a week ago.

That was why I switched to Crestor.

Let me know how the muscles feel and if you think the aching has lessened.

Talk to you soon.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 08:08:28 am »
Hey Ray,

Glad you are feeling better.

Regarding the Lipitor and achy muscles, I understand completely. I have the same problem.

Did your doctor check your CPK levels?

I think he does that regularly Mark, And I am sure that I had seen that marked(circled) on the paper.  I will find out when these results come in.

Thanks/Have a Great weekend------Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 08:47:36 pm »
Well,...

Considering how sick I was a couple weeks ago, I was expecting some crappy numbers, on my January 15th blood test. Received these results in the mail today.

But overall not bad:

CD4 - 331   Was 323 on 10/13/08 ( increase)

CD4 PERCENTAGE---11% was 12 % on 10/13/08 ( Decrease)

CBC, Chemical profile and Amylase are all good.

Viral load <48  Was < 48 on 10/13/08

Total Cholesterol is 180,  Was 255 on 10/13/08

LDL ( Bad cholesterol) 118 -- Was 181 on 10/13/08 ( doctor notes a great improvement on these numbers) I've only been taking my Lipitor every other day, since 10/13/08

HDL (Good Cholestrol)  42  -- Was 51 on 10/13/08

Triglycerides---101   Was 113 on 10/13/08

Now, If I can keep my stress levels down. Major changes in the workplace, layoffs, hours cut, the possibility of reveamping/cutting the PTO time( got everyone pissed.) There's even been discussion of  eliminating the 6 holiday pays we get per year. It is really bad !!

So far I am still maintaining, all benefits and vacation, with no hours being cut. Just trying to stay ahead of the game, and make sure my plans are in place, in case I get layed -off. One day at a time.

Got to get ready to go into work now. Lets see what tonight brings...

Ray

Edited... Forgot to post viral load

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:04:51 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »
Hey Ray,

Wow,  your cholesterol, bad cholesterol and triglycerides really improved!  I'm on Lipitor also, every night, and my numbers aren't even that good.

I hope your work situation settles down.  I'll be thinking about you.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 05:14:10 am »
Ray,

Congrats on the new numbers and I'll keep my fingers crossed that things settle down on the work front.

Hugs,
AA

Offline aztecan

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:16 am »
Hey Ray,

Congrats on the new numbers. Not bad at all. I'm jealous.

Tell you how desperate I am, I just tied hot dogs made out of tofu. Not too bad, I guess.

HUGS,

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.