Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:05:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 327
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 318
Total: 318

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Worried about not having sex  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Denvaux

Worried about not having sex
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »
I'm over three years now since I found I am HIV+. My recent bloodwork has revealed my very best cd4 count ever above 400 and VL is about 19000. My doc recently asked if I would take part in a trial relating to a med that slows down immune defense activation - a placebo trial - I'm still thinking about it but worried about taking pills just now as I intend to travel and carrying medication could be a problem; also 48 weeks is a long time. Anyhow that's not actually why I'm posting; my issue right now is sex. I'm 42 years old and I have lost all interest in sex. This has been pretty much the case since I found I was positive but it's even moreso today. I'm not at all happy about this and hope the situation will change in the future. Does anyone have any advice or experience and can you tell me - will I mend?

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
Re: Worried about not having sex
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:59 pm »
well it doesn't state in your post but if you are male have your testosterone checked and maybe see a Doctor to see if you might be depressed. Low testosterone will affect your libido, it did with me. I also remember not thinking about sex too much when I was depressed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:43:39 pm by antibody »
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:43:24 am »
to me it seem like depression related symptom,am not a doctor but i can still relate.most of the time when i get depressed about my hiv status i try to chat to someone whos hiv and share with,this helps alot as i dont feel am the only one in this boat,especially if i find someone whos poz for a longer time than me and doing very well.You can also try one on one therapy with a psychologist.

best of luck
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 12:59:24 pm »
Denvaux, are you masturbating and if so with what frequency?  Sorry to ask, but if so you can probably rule out libido issues of course, and then focus on depression.  And it's depression then, while medication may help (as long as it's not an anti-depressant that messes up libido) it's more important to engage in one-on-one therapy sessions to get at the root cause of this issue for you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ColtbearNJ

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 02:56:23 pm »
Hello, Denvaux:

Since you're personally familiar with being clinically depressed (but fortunately, did not get that tone from your post), I'm certain you know that would affect your libido.  If in fact, you are not depressed, as a few others have already suggested, please have your testosterone level checked.  I (among many other men), happen to be one where the hiv virus wreaks havoc with my testosterone level, causing it to be VERY low, resulting in depression and virtually no sex drive whatsoever.  Fortunately, there are gels and foams and patches to easily remedy this situation that your doctor can prescribe if that turns out to be the case, and if so, you'll not only be on the mend, but should be back to your frisky self in no time.  Good luck!

Peace, health and blessings to all,
Steve

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:14:40 pm »
Hello, Denvaux.

There's so many things that intersect with our libido and the posts above are chock-full of good advice.  Sure, as we get older somethings aren't like they used to be, but sexual and sensual energy can be one of the true blessings we have too--it doesn't have to disappear.  Our emotional and mental health play just as an important role as our physical health when it comes to this and living with HIV and ALL we go through--we get a hefty load of 'stuff' that can impact this area of our life.

Hang in there--try to treat yourself with kindness. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.