Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 07:18:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 110
Total: 113

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So I tested Positive last week  (Read 8071 times)

Offline toshiroh

So I tested Positive last week
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:38:21 pm »
It came as a bit of a shock, because the only person I've had unprotected anal sex with in the last 10 months is negative and on prep. He tested negative last week. I get tested every three months, faithfully. I have since 2007. I last tested neg in October. I went in expecting another neg, chopping it up with the counselor as I usually do, but alas it was positive. I had given oral sex to someone on 11/24/2017. He ejaculated in my mouth, so I'm assuming that's where it's from. And they say it's low risk, but I guess low risk doesn't mean no risk. What a depressing way to get HIV... from giving a blow job, a short one at that. Sigh. It's a bit of a bummer really. I always said if I was infected, I'd wish it was during the best sex ever. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Anyway, I started medications the same day I tested positive. I guess I'm still waiting on the blood work from the many vials of blood they took. I guess I just wait now and stay adherent to the medications. I've went between moods of extreme anger and extreme disappointment in myself. I'm wondering when these will go away? I guess one good thing is my adherence to getting tested every three months means it was caught relatively early. I guess that's a positive, no pun intended.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: So I tested Positive last week
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:43 pm »
Hi

Sorry to hear you tested positive, how i happened is rather irreverent now if i was from the unprotected intercourse or the BJ. Your focus is moving forward and with treatment thankfully in 2018 you will live a full and normal life.

Anyway, I started medications the same day I tested positive. I guess I'm still waiting on the blood work from the many vials of blood they took.

I do have a question, how did you test positive as you mention you are sill awaiting blood results and what do you mean you started treatment? What treatment - medication did you start?

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:50:18 pm »
I tested positive. Some 20 min test or something. They did some confirming test thing and then was like I should labor under the notion that I'm positive. Shortly after, I received a text message asking if I could come in to start treatment. They took all the blood, the doctor gave me tivicay and Descovoy and told me to take my first dose in the office. She then gave me a 30 day supply and made my appointment day.

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:56:10 pm »

I tested positive. Some 20 min test or something. They did some confirming test thing and then was like I should labor under the notion that I'm positive. Shortly after, I received a text message asking if I could come in to start treatment. They took all the blood, the doctor gave me tivicay and Descovoy and told me to take my first dose in the office. She then gave me a 30 day supply and made my appointment day.

Hi

Sorry to hear you tested positive, how i happened is rather irreverent now if i was from the unprotected intercourse or the BJ. Your focus is moving forward and with treatment thankfully in 2018 you will live a full and normal life.

I do have a question, how did you test positive as you mention you are sill awaiting blood results and what do you mean you started treatment? What treatment - medication did you start?

Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 03:01:48 pm »
Hi

Okay well sorry to hear that, for the time being at least until your lab results are in and you have finished the 30 days I am going to ask you to post only in this one thread. Members will be able to assist you here and answer any questions you may have.

Take it easy, you should be fine. 
P.S

If you do happen to be looking for information on being newly diagnosed and treatment etc there are links in the welcome thread to lessons on living with HIV that may be helpful. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=2276.0

Jim

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:07:18 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Carlos 32

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 08:26:07 pm »
Se que estarás muy bien, me asalta la duda del contagio por sexo oral, hoy leía que según varios estudios las posibilidades de transmisión por esa vía son casi nulas.

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:12:20 am »
Yeah, I keep seeing everyone say that oral sex doesn't seem likely, but as far as my exposure that was it. But the testers didn't seem to believe me either. They all seem to assume that I've had to have other exposures. And I know folks on here say it doesn't matter now, but hey, it matters to me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:32:39 am »
BTW - Did they say when they would come back with results from taking your vials of blood?

Yeah, I keep seeing everyone say that oral sex doesn't seem likely, but as far as my exposure that was it. But the testers didn't seem to believe me either. They all seem to assume that I've had to have other exposures. And I know folks on here say it doesn't matter now, but hey, it matters to me.

No surprise the testers didn't believe it, not that it matters. Its is not a probable route but it is indeed possible. Its a risk people accept, is a very remote or near negligible risk giving a blowjob. The mouth we now know generally lacks the cells/route to infect normally, so when it does happen this way at all, it's highly rare. If you feel you were infected this way, then that is unfortunate to say the least, but the same can be said for anyone who is living with HIV. Nobody made a choice to become infected, with the exception of a few odd nut cases.

Truth is you don't know how you were infected going by what you posted as you tested negative in October, and accepting that was correct your exposure would have happened between July to Dec. The unprotected intercourse happened as well and that was a risk, no matter what the guy claims.

When i was a kid my father used to say beware of women who claim to be on birth control and to protect myself. Sure enough same advice might as well apply today for having sex with people who claim to be negative and on PrEP.

Look end of the day it does not matter, you are living with the virus and need to move past this and chalk it up to lesson learned, the focus is taking your meds, being adherent to them and looking after yourself. Nothing you can do will change the past. I know i can be a lot to digest however don't dwell too much on it, the past is generally a waste of time when the future is bright and ahead of you.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:12:17 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 11:18:19 am »
They did not. I assumed they would call or something or just wait to talk about them at my next appointment. And unless he doctored fake test results, which is possible I guess, doesn't seem likely. Anyway... you guys surely know far more than me so I'll just take the advice.

BTW - Did they say when they would come back with results from taking your vials of blood?

No surprise the testers didn't believe it, not that it matters. Its is not a probable route but it is indeed possible. Its a risk people accept, is a very remote or near negligible risk giving a blowjob. The mouth we now know generally lacks the cells/route to infect normally, so when it does happen this way at all, it's highly rare. If you feel you were infected this way, then that is unfortunate to say the least, but the same can be said for anyone who is living with HIV. Nobody made a choice to become infected, with the exception of a few odd nut cases.

Truth is you don't know how you were infected going by what you posted as you tested negative in October, and accepting that was correct your exposure would have happened between July to Dec. The unprotected intercourse happened as well and that was a risk, no matter what the guy claims.

When i was a kid my father used to say beware of women who claim to be on birth control and to protect myself. Sure enough same advice might as well apply today for having sex with people who claim to be negative and on PrEP.

Look end of the day it does not matter, you are living with the virus and need to move past this and chalk it up to lesson learned, the focus is taking your meds, being adherent to them and looking after yourself. Nothing you can do will change the past. I know i can be a lot to digest however don't dwell too much on it, the past is generally a waste of time when the future is bright and ahead of you.

Jim

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 11:25:29 am »
It can happen.

Anyhow, I do hope they call soon so you at least have some results to start with and if not I than i understand from your post you will see them in 30 days right ? In order to refill the prescription and have a follow-up appointment. I am sure they will go over the results with you than if they do not call sooner.

The goal is to suppress your VL (Viral load) with the medication, so that will be a key indicator over time to check/see that the medication is working.

Jim 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:33:50 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 11:35:34 am »
I see them in about two weeks regardless to refill and I'm assuming take more blood. Hopefully they call sooner to talk about the results and all of that.

It can happen.

Anyhow, I do hope they call soon so you at least have some results to start with and if not I than i understand from your post you will see them in 30 days right ? In order to refill the prescription and have a follow-up appointment. I am sure they will go over the results with you than if they do not call sooner.

The goal is to suppress your VL (Viral load) with the medication, so that will be a key indicator over time to check/see that the medication is working.

Jim

Offline harleymc

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:43 am »
And I know folks on here say it doesn't matter now, but hey, it matters to me.

You can hold that thought for the rest of your days, but the only person it will hurt is you.

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:55 pm »
Yes, I’ve gathered that much from the aggressive nature of the comments on here toward that topic. Got it. Won’t ever mention it again

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 05:00:31 pm »
If you don't like someones comment/post or advice by all means you can debate or discuss it however if you can't or feel its aggressive than the options open to you are either to ignore it or to report it. Posting stroppy comments (flamebaiting) however is not accepted.

Look we all know being newly diagnosed can be a lot to digest, and I wish you well.
We have all been through diagnosis, my advice is simply not to don't dwell on things too much.

Take care

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:30:27 pm »
The comment wasn't meant to be taken as an insult. It was acknowledging that I understood the sentiment toward it and didn't want to debate or discuss my personal feelings on the matter as it's not productive to me. Apologies if you all felt slighted. 

Offline harleymc

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 02:20:28 am »
What 'aggressive' comments? Nobody has attacked you.

Offline awakening

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 09:55:28 pm »
@toshiroh, you seem to have private messages blocked. PM me if you would like to chat.
~~~~
[month/date/year]
3/1/16: Tested neg (Oral swab)
6/17/16: Diagnosed poz (finger prick), confirmed w/Multispot assay
6/17/16: VL 22,900, CD4 - 524 cells/uL (30%)
7/2/16: Started Triumeq (DTG+ABC+3TC)
8/1/16: VL 30
10/4/16: VL <20, CD4 - 630 (31%)
1/4/17: VL 90
2/7/17: Undetected
4/17/17: Undetected, CD4 - 695 (33%)
7/20/17: VL 75
8/21/17: VL <20
11/27/17: VL<20
3/26/18: VL<20, CD4 - 701 (36%)
5/14/18: Switch to Juluca (DTG+RPV)
6/11/18: VL<20
7/25/18: Undetected, CD4 - 632 (38%)
1/22/19: VL<20

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 12:42:14 pm »
PM is currently not available to the OP as a standard member. PM will be once he has had his first lab results etc.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:44:38 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline toshiroh

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 05:10:42 pm »
Went over blood work to day

CD4-517
VL-28506

The doctor went over other stuff, but basically said everything was in normal range and that I had nothing to really worry about and now we need to simply minitor and work toward getting undetectable. The doctor said since it was good the infection was caught relatively early.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »
great news toshiroh!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.