Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:26:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV GIFT GIVERS - ARE THEY FOR REAL?  (Read 46825 times)

Offline UK_SL

HIV GIFT GIVERS - ARE THEY FOR REAL?
« on: December 09, 2009, 02:20:21 am »
Since being diagnosed I've been seeking support / advice here on the web in certain chat rooms, I'm getting a scary amount of men that are looking for someone to infect them. I can not believe there are people out there that want this illness - they must be seriously disturbed in my opinion.

I asked one guys why he wanted to be HIV positive and do you know what he said? "I want to be HIV positive because it's the ultimate mark of being gay"! I told him that I thought he needed some professional help and that it was people like him who are spreading this illness around.

Let me just Finnish by saying to all those "GIFT GIVERS / RECEIVERS" - HIV is not a gift, it is a chronic terminal illness that changes your life forever.

Rant over !!
05/10/2009 ~ DIAGNOSED, CD4 = 8
22/10/2009 ~ CD4 = 11/VL = 430,000, STARTED ATRIPLA and SEPTRIN
26/11/2009 ~ CD4 = 121/VL = 840
22/12/2009 ~ CD4 = 184 (6%)/VL = 340
11/03/2010 ~ CD4 = 177 (12%)/VL = 72
01/07/2010 ~ CD4 = 247 (12%) VL = 76
20/01/2011 ~ CD4 = 350 / VL = 29

Offline sensual1973

Re: HIV GIFT GIVERS - ARE THEY FOR REAL?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:12:57 am »
all i can say is that they need big time therapy,sad to see people spreading hiv when others are suffering from it,its a crime towards oneself.i have no respect for such people EVER.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:45 am »
Well , I'm not gay, heterosexual and hiv+.   If anyone out there can take it off me and leave me free of the virus, feel free.   
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline UK_SL

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 08:23:02 am »
I don't think it really works like that sam66, if only. LOL! I am also hetrosexual and my girlfriend in negative even though we have never used protection before I knew about me>

Offline sam66

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:31:40 am »

Just kidding SL,     I too have come across ( may be I should word that differently ) some idiots on some sites. I don't think a lot of them are +ve, although they claim to be. They are just playing games. Really sick people.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:17:19 am »
How's a straight guy running into gay gift givers?  I'm gay and I rarely run into them unless I'm purposely trolling bugshare.net.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:18:54 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dale Parker

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:17:57 am »
I had a guy who was confined to a wheelchair who wanted me to infect him. You would think this guy would have enough problems without having HIV as well.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Offline UK_SL

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:16:28 pm »
How's a straight guy running into gay gift givers?  I'm gay and I rarely run into them unless I'm purposely trolling bugshare.net.

Well then may I say you have been very lucky Miss Philicia, I'm not saying that every person I chat to is looking for someone to infect them and it's also not always gay men, I've had a couple of women asking me too, and no I don't troll bugshare.net - infact I've never heard that there was such a site until you mentioned it.

Offline sam66

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:24:52 pm »
thanks for that info Miss Philicia, 
I see your point,   this is the first time i come across this subject . i shall avoid those sites you mention.
                                    I don't understand how anyone can regard being +ve as ultimate expression of being gay, when hiv has no preference of sexual orientation.

I asked one guys why he wanted to be HIV positive and do you know what he said? "I want to be HIV positive because it's the ultimate mark of being gay"!

i have met people on the personals site here, who claim they are +ve, but i have my doubts

Offline UK_SL

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 12:32:35 pm »
Regardless of you sexual orientation, anyone that seeks out illness weather it be HIV or just the common cold is in serious need of some physiological help because they are obviously craving attention.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:52 pm »
Oh, while I agree they need very heavy psychological help I think it's more about wanting to fit in to a social group because of long standing self-esteem issues that make them feel worthless.  But they're also very addicted to the fantasy of it, and while I personally can't understand the fantasy it's definitely a huge deal for them.  Keep in mind like anything of this nature on the internet we have no way of ascertaining how much of it is bullshit that they never really engage in, but just like writing about it on the internet.

But it does definitely go on, I just have trouble really knowing how large the reality is in terms of numbers.  Also, there are many, many people who might now verbalize the fantasy and actively participate on bugshare, but it's still a subconscious desire and leads to ever more risky behavior, etc.  You know, how self esteem issues lead to meth induced orgy bends for 3 days straight every weekend.  It's really only a degree or two away from bugshare I guess if you want to make that argument.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 02:52:54 pm »
Discussion could use some rigor
1)  Gift Givers - are people who will pass HIV to HIV- parnters at the partners request.
2) Bug chasers - are HIV- people who want to be infected.
Probably two different psychologies involved, generally.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 03:09:42 pm »
Yeah sorry, my psychological comment was aimed at the chasers.  I've not thought to hard about the motivation of the givers.

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »
I think its all a plot by the Rev. Phelps to discredit homosexual HIV groups.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 04:37:19 pm »
 I once encountered a guy who wanted to become poz . I talked to him at length about why he wanted to become infected . As near as I could tell with this individual it was his fear of HIV that motivated him . He was so scared of HIV that he really couldn't consider safe sex as an option to remain negative and simply wanted to get what he thought as inevitable over and done with . He was very young and was only OK with the conversation while I listened to him . When I gently tried to get him to see HIV for what it is from my perspective he became hostile and shut down . It was quite upsetting to me and very sad . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 04:49:41 pm »

Thanks for creating this thread, I was having trouble coming up with a gift idea for the white horse gift exchange they're having at work next week.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »
LOL Skeebo .... The gift that keeps on giving .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 09:25:22 pm »
I consider the chasers to be mentally screwed in the head (naturally or chemically-induced if you know what I mean).  They need to get to a shrink.  They're as sane as those people that feel a psychological need to amputate their limbs (these people really exist).

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 01:30:53 am »
I've had at least 5 guys on poz.com personals send me messages about having bb sex.  I assumed they were poz at first.  I wouldn't do it even then, because it is possible to be infected with another strain.  Two were guys who all said they didn't know their status.  They said they assume they are poz.

I don't understand it myself.  I can't imagine wanting any virus.  Some people progress very fast, too.  I saw a documentary on HBO or somewhere like 3 years ago.  I think it was called Bug Chasers or something like that.  Most of the guys featured said it was badge of honor and others said they just wanted to get the infection over with.  They knew they were eventually going to get it and wanted to get it now.

You can probably google the documentary I'm talking about.  It was very interesting.

Offline Carly

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 11:26:49 am »
I remember reading about one of these websites, I think it was bugchaser.com, on Something Awful's weekend web once.  It's just something that I've never been able to understand.  I wouldn't consider HIV a "badge" as being gay, especially not in this day & age when so many heterosexuals are now infected with the virus.  My boyfriend is straight & contracted HIV from unprotected sex with a woman, so we don't exactly see it as a "badge of honor" for him.  And rather than looking at contracting HIV as being something that's inevitable, why not just practice safe sex & not worry about it?  It just doesn't make any sense.  This disease has really taken a toll on our lives & the lives of a select few of our loved ones (who we've disclosed his status to) since we found out, & I can't imagine someone deliberately trying to contract a chronic, possibly fatal disease.

And it's funny this thread should come up today, as my boyfriend was talking to the HIV resource lady in our area yesterday & she told him that she had recently saw a young couple this week who had been diagnosed as positive.  She said they were both extremely excited about it, because it meant they would no longer have to work & would be able to receive disability.  WTF???  I would much rather be healthy & be able to work than constantly having to worry about dealing with a chronic disease all the time.  And my boyfriend's doing every thing in his power to continue his schooling so he can get a better job to help provide a better life for us.  I guess some people just have different perspectives on things.  And oh, the other odd thing that the couple said was that they believe they contracted it from the guy's brother.  I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell one would contract HIV from their own brother, aside from IV drug use.  This is Kentucky, after all. ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 12:05:04 pm »
While I don't like bugchasing, I hope you won't be offended by my stating that in general most heterosexuals have absolutely no clue of the isolation that many homosexuals go through growing up, so you can't really understand the psychological need that might drive such folks to engage in self-destructive behavior simply to forge a connection with someone else.  Yes, it's a completely overboard response to this isolation, but I think there are many gay people that have a sort of trauma disorder from their childhood.  I'm not going to claim that every bugchaser has this, but I'd really not be surprised if most do. 

Never underestimate the unsavory hardships that affect how gay people deal with their sexuality and the ramifications of that, even if they do a good job trying to appear well-adjusted.  There's a reason so many turn to lots of booze and drugs, so why should chasing the Big Bug be any different?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2009, 12:41:31 pm »
 Excellent point Miss P .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Carly

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 03:04:44 pm »
While I don't like bugchasing, I hope you won't be offended by my stating that in general most heterosexuals have absolutely no clue of the isolation that many homosexuals go through growing up, so you can't really understand the psychological need that might drive such folks to engage in self-destructive behavior simply to forge a connection with someone else.  Yes, it's a completely overboard response to this isolation, but I think there are many gay people that have a sort of trauma disorder from their childhood.  I'm not going to claim that every bugchaser has this, but I'd really not be surprised if most do.  

Never underestimate the unsavory hardships that affect how gay people deal with their sexuality and the ramifications of that, even if they do a good job trying to appear well-adjusted.  There's a reason so many turn to lots of booze and drugs, so why should chasing the Big Bug be any different?

No, I'm not offended, & I understand what you're saying.  I suppose bug chasing wouldn't be too much different than any other type of self-destructive behavior.  I've done the drug abuse thing myself several years ago (in recovery now), & I know from personal experience that you can never get better until you address whatever emotional/mental issues you have going on.  I just hate to think that people would choose to go this route.  At least with drug & alcohol abuse, cutting, eating disorders, etc., if you stop, it's over, so to speak. But HIV is forever.  Even if you did get better mentally & emotionally, HIV is something that won't just go away.  But, when you speak of childhood trauma, I'm assuming one of the things that is part of that equation is sexual molestation.  While I had my own issues to work out from my childhood, I was never sexually abused in any way.  So I honestly cannot possibly fathom what that kind of trauma would cause to an individual, but I do know that it results in a lot of the victims acting out sexually when they become adults.  So that might also explain the bug chaser thing too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:15:28 pm by Carly »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 03:57:37 pm »
But, when you speak of childhood trauma, I'm assuming one of the things that is part of that equation is sexual molestation.
....in general most heterosexuals have absolutely no clue of the isolation that many homosexuals go through growing up, so you can't really understand...

Never underestimate the unsavory hardships that affect how gay people deal with their sexuality and the ramifications of that, even if they do a good job trying to appear well-adjusted.  There's a reason so many turn to lots of booze and drugs
Though I would never dare put words into Philly's mouth, ;) I believe your misconception about molestation is exactly what Miss P was trying to explain.

Just being gay in a straight world is the cause of the trauma. Talking with many others, I've always believed that the people that stigmatize us the most for being gay are our very own parents. After years and years of your parents, grandparents, school mates, pastors etc, heck just total strangers on the street all constantly berating you and telling you how horrible you are for being a "dirty faggot", it pretty much makes you hate yourself too. Internalizing that kind of hate leads to a lot of self-destructive behavior.

I know of at least 8 people in whom that self-hatred was so unbearable rather than booze, drugs, or bugchasing, just straight-away chose suicide to end their trauma. I'm sure it's that same self-hatred that plays into some gay men struggling with coming to grips with being HIV poz or looking to blame someone else. The parallels between disclosing your status and coming out of the closet should be obvious and explains why some controversy even exists in that situation too.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Carly

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2009, 04:21:51 pm »
Though I would never dare put words into Philly's mouth, ;) I believe your misconception about molestation is exactly what Miss P was trying to explain.

Just being gay in a straight world is the cause of the trauma. Talking with many others, I've always believed that the people that stigmatize us the most for being gay are our very own parents. After years and years of your parents, grandparents, school mates, pastors etc, heck just total strangers on the street all constantly berating you and telling you how horrible you are for being a "dirty faggot", it pretty much makes you hate yourself too. Internalizing that kind of hate leads to a lot of self-destructive behavior.

I know of at least 8 people in whom that self-hatred was so unbearable rather than booze, drugs, or bugchasing, just straight-away chose suicide to end their trauma. I'm sure it's that same self-hatred that plays into some gay men struggling with coming to grips with being HIV poz or looking to blame someone else. The parallels between disclosing your status and coming out of the closet should be obvious and explains why some controversy even exists in that situation too.

I'm apologize, I wasn't trying to infer that everyone who is gay was molested as a child.  I just meant that sexual abuse, regardless of whether or not someone is straight or gay, often times causes people to act out sexually as adults. 

I guess being straight I don't always think about that particular type of self-hatred.  There have been times in my life where I've felt like I was a complete failure & fuck-up & that no one gave a shit about whether or not I lived or died, so I can understand self-hatred somewhat.  But not that kind of intense self-hatred that you describe. 

I also find it very upsetting that people in our society can be that cruel to each other, even when it comes to their own family.  I do have a few male gay friends who've always had strained relationships with their fathers, but usually are okay with their mothers.  One guy even told me he had "daddy issues".  I had one best friend who was a lesbian & she ended up acting out in all sorts of terrible ways.  She always seemed to be hurting & I didn't feel like there was anything I could do for her.  I remember being at her house once & her parents didn't want us to be alone in her bedroom together, I guess because they thought we were going to start having crazy lesbian sex or something.  And if her parents were like that with me, a straight female, I can only imagine what they were like when it came to actual lesbian girlfriends.  Anyway, she could never stay clean (I met her in rehab) & that's why we parted ways.  I often wonder what became of her.  So while I can't quite understand the pain that gay people go through, I have witnessed it first hand & I can certainly see where you guys are coming from.

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 06:16:45 pm »
What country gives disability automatically to HIV+ people? Those young people seem to live in the past.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline daysleeper

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 06:43:55 pm »
Oh, pshaw.

You see a lot of "straight guy seeks other straight guy for sex" ads on those websites too. Sure, the ads exist, but that doesn't mean cock-thirsty straight men are real.

Offline fearless

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 08:04:58 pm »
Regardless of you sexual orientation, anyone that seeks out illness weather it be HIV or just the common cold is in serious need of some physiological help because they are obviously craving attention.

I love how we all get on our moral high horses when we discuss the issue of bug chasers and givers. I have a slightly different and controversial take on the issue. IMHO, anyone that contracted this virus through unprotected sex since we have known that to be the major mode of transmission, was either consciously or sub-consiously seeking out HIV and other illnesses. I know most don't share my opinion, but don't really care what you think.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 08:43:11 pm »
I love how we all get on our moral high horses when we discuss the issue of bug chasers and givers. I have a slightly different and controversial take on the issue. IMHO, anyone that contracted this virus through unprotected sex since we have known that to be the major mode of transmission, was either consciously or sub-consiously seeking out HIV and other illnesses. I know most don't share my opinion, but don't really care what you think.

Nonsense.  Sex is a very inefficient way of contracting HIV.  If I were consiously or subconsiously seeking out HIV I'd have gone for something with a much higher likelihood of taking -- like blood transfusions or something.

Most of us were seeking sex -- a few were seeking to get high.  We might have accepted that HIV was a risk, but that's a far cry from seeking it out. 
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline komnaes

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 08:54:50 pm »
I do think this mainly gay bugchasers "scene" that eroticize HIV is a more or less an urban myth.. I am sure some neg folks verbalize it in chatroom, forums or post ads, etc, but if one really wants to get infected he just needs to go to the nearest sauna, sex club or even "busy" toilet and, er, take a few loads and with such high HIV prevalence rate in some cities (DC, for example) I am sure he will get converted in no time..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 12:43:16 am »
I think it is a misconception that people with HIV were obviously promiscous.  I've heard many guys say the top tricked them by taking the condom off without them knowing.  I don't think they were chasing it. 

As for the disability thing-- something like 80% are turned down for SSDI or SSI on the initial claim and first appeal.  Most have to wait 2 yrs to go before a judge.  You have to have clear evidence that you are disabled.  It isn't that easy to get it--at least not in my state.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2009, 12:53:46 am »
I've heard many guys say the top tricked them by taking the condom off without them knowing.

Should I roll my eyes now or later?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2009, 05:40:20 am »
Nonsense.  Sex is a very inefficient way of contracting HIV.  If I were consiously or subconsiously seeking out HIV I'd have gone for something with a much higher likelihood of taking -- like blood transfusions or something.

Most of us were seeking sex -- a few were seeking to get high.  We might have accepted that HIV was a risk, but that's a far cry from seeking it out. 
Sex is a very inefficient way of contracting HIV? You have got to be kidding. Where on earth did you come up with that?

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2009, 06:27:53 am »
I have to admit the post infection morality some seem to acquire along with the virus never ceases to amaze me. Anything posted online is as real as you want it to be. Whether by deceit or design it all boils down to too many peckers up the ol' pooper.

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 08:04:25 am »
While I don't like bugchasing, I hope you won't be offended by my stating that in general most heterosexuals have absolutely no clue of the isolation that many homosexuals go through growing up, so you can't really understand the psychological need that might drive such folks to engage in self-destructive behavior simply to forge a connection with someone else.  Yes, it's a completely overboard response to this isolation, but I think there are many gay people that have a sort of trauma disorder from their childhood.  I'm not going to claim that every bugchaser has this, but I'd really not be surprised if most do. 

Never underestimate the unsavory hardships that affect how gay people deal with their sexuality and the ramifications of that, even if they do a good job trying to appear well-adjusted.  There's a reason so many turn to lots of booze and drugs, so why should chasing the Big Bug be any different?

I can relate to that Miss Philicia,
In the mid 90s my family was pushing so hard for me to get engaged then marry someone (a woman ofcourse) a.s.a.p,that too woke of the feeling of my childhood trauma of my fathers suicide when i was 5 and the feeling that i was abandoned and no good at all, i was so depressed,frustrated and angry,which led me to live on tranquilizers,sleeping pills,and then on top of that came the alcohol,and the parting to escape reality.i got fed up to the point that i started going to bathhouses drunk and didnt give a damn about the risks am putting my self through,i new HIV was there in a dark room waiting,i just thought if it happens and i catch it,atleast they will get off my case forever and accept the fact that thier boy can no longer marry anymore.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:27 am »
Sex is a very inefficient way of contracting HIV? You have got to be kidding. Where on earth did you come up with that?

Statistics may not be your forte.  But it's the truth. 

Sure, some people get HIV after one sexual exposure -- but the odds of that are actually quite small.  To get your odds above 50% you need to keep reinvesting your time in sex.  Jeez, think of all that time wasted getting pounded when one could have been exploring one's true interests -- like vacuuming or decoupage or (shudder) model trains...  Whereas one carefully chosen blood transfusion and it's almost guaranteed!   ;)

Sarcasm aside, my point was that people may accept the risk of acquiring HIV as part of sex, but they are in it for the sex rather than the bug.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:55 am »
Statistics may not be your forte.  But it's the truth. 

Sure, some people get HIV after one sexual exposure -- but the odds of that are actually quite small.  To get your odds above 50% you need to keep reinvesting your time in sex.  Jeez, think of all that time wasted getting pounded when one could have been exploring one's true interests -- like vacuuming or decoupage or (shudder) model trains...  Whereas one carefully chosen blood transfusion and it's almost guaranteed!   ;)

Sarcasm aside, my point was that people may accept the risk of acquiring HIV as part of sex, but they are in it for the sex rather than the bug.
Statistics? Never seen anyone contract HIV from statistics but I have from unprotected anal and vaginal sex.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 10:12:49 am »
I adore some good decoupage.

Offline Carly

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 10:39:37 am »
What country gives disability automatically to HIV+ people? Those young people seem to live in the past.

There are A LOT of people in my area on disability.  I have no idea why.  In the small town where I'm originally from (about 30 miles away from where I live now), there was a study done that revealed about 80% of the town's population was disabled.  And people wonder why all the factories & stores keep closing there.  When I go home for lunch & watch all the court shows all I see are adverts for disability lawyers, so there's definetly not a shortage of help getting disability.  Maybe it's because this area of Kentucky is economically poor & depressed.  We haven't quite achieved the level of destitude that Eastern Kentucky has, but we're getting there.  I see young people all the time who are drawing disability fo their "nerves".  From what I've seen, the easiest & quickest to ways get disability (around here at least) are to claim mental illness or Fibromyalgia.  My guess is that this is probably because both of these diseases can be so vague that the SSA just seems to have given up & started awarding SSI to anyone & everyone who claims they are suffering from them.  That's not to say that I haven't seen mentally ill people who are truly unable to work, because they do exist, but they are few & far between.  Most of the people I come across are like me, suffering from depression & anxiety.  The medication & therapy has worked fine for me for several years, although from time to time I do have my issues.  But that's what shrinks are for.  But most of the people I see here who draw disability are poor & uneducated & seem to think that they have no choice, & they're already used to the lifestyle since most of their families, including their parents, are disabled also.

Anyway, my guess is that because HIV is probably still considered a terminal illness (it is isn't it?), maybe it's easier for people (in this area anyway) to draw disability for it.  When you have lawyers around every corner who are willing to "FIGHT TO GET YOU THE MONEY YOU DESERVE!" & doctors who have no problem writing out statements for anything & everything you ask for, it's no suprise that people would probably think drawing disability for something like HIV would be easy peasy.  It's just plain ol' ignorance.

Offline Carly

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 11:01:31 am »
Oh, pshaw.

You see a lot of "straight guy seeks other straight guy for sex" ads on those websites too. Sure, the ads exist, but that doesn't mean cock-thirsty straight men are real.

"cock-thirsty straight men"?

:D  :D  :D

Isn't that an oxymoron?

And I think I know which Craig's list ads you're talking about.  They're the ones that say something like "straight male seeking straight male to play video games & j.o. together.  We just play PSP & then watch each other j.o.  I also want you to cum in my mouth, but none of that gay stuff, ok?". ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:04:42 am by Carly »

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 04:27:59 pm »
"cock-thirsty straight men"?

:D  :D  :D

Isn't that an oxymoron?

And I think I know which Craig's list ads you're talking about.  They're the ones that say something like "straight male seeking straight male to play video games & j.o. together.  We just play PSP & then watch each other j.o.  I also want you to cum in my mouth, but none of that gay stuff, ok?". ;D

Hmmm...getting close (again) to that same dysfunction that swirls up around here now and then--that there are no 'real' straight men with HIV.  Sure--what is submitted above is true for some, but please lets not go all broad-brush with these things again.

When it comes to people who seek out HIV positive people in order to become HIV positive themselves, I've always thought that it was some strange exploration of a fetish and have felt fetishized when I've been approached with this.  I can only imagine that is possibly an effect of those ultimate risk takers who see through the lens of challenge.  Nothing more life-affirming then going through a 'certain death' scenario and making it out alive.  Perhaps its not that some wish to become infected, maybe its their desire to experience the ultimate 'no-no' when it comes to unprotected sex.

Really I have no idea and the concept disturbs me.  The last person to appraoch me with this articulated it as I described above.  She wanted to use her sensuality and sexuality in a way that had some ultimate challenge connected to it--like she had pushed through some forbidden boundary..blah blah blah.

I referred her to counseling.

Offline mecch

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 08:26:28 pm »
Anyway, my guess is that because HIV is probably still considered a terminal illness (it is isn't it?), maybe it's easier for people (in this area anyway) to draw disability for it.  When you have lawyers around every corner who are willing to "FIGHT TO GET YOU THE MONEY YOU DESERVE!" & doctors who have no problem writing out statements for anything & everything you ask for, it's no suprise that people would probably think drawing disability for something like HIV would be easy peasy.  It's just plain ol' ignorance.

I don't think HIV is considered a terminal illness in Switzerland. The states used to give out disability when people got too sick to work. In the 80's and 90's.  Now with HAART its hard to get a medical excuse for day off even! The only people who still have disability are LTS who really are disabled.

Offline tash08

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »
When I was infected it was with my bf at the time I was in love and very young. I didn't think that he was positive, we used condoms but after a while we stopped so I did not seek to become infected. The problem is a lot of people don't know their status, and others fantasize of becoming positive. I don't understand bugchasers I guess it turns them on to have a chronic disease for life, there are more medicines availiable but no cure yet at this time.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:32:18 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline Carly

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »
Hmmm...getting close (again) to that same dysfunction that swirls up around here now and then--that there are no 'real' straight men with HIV.  Sure--what is submitted above is true for some, but please lets not go all broad-brush with these things again.

Well, I definetly don't believe that there are no "real" straight men with HIV.  My own straight boyfriend of 6 years, who's never participated in IV drug use or had any kind of homosexual encounter, is HIV positive.  I just find it humorous when someone says something like "I want to watch you j.o." & then turns around & proclaim they are straight.  But no, I most certainly don't think that HIV is some sort of "gay disease".  Men can & do contract HIV from unprotected vaginal intercourse with women, regardless of what some people want to believe.  And I went over to Something Awful & checked out the Weekend Web feature they had about bug chasers, & the site they linked to was Bareback Exchange.  I found an interesting post on there by "Bugchase420" that I actually found to be pretty insightful:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/bareback-exchange.php?page=8

And while I certainly don't condone that type of behavior or thinking, it really sort of put things into prespective & kind of makes sense, in a very morbid, fucked up way.

Offline Carly

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2009, 11:17:09 pm »
The only people who still have disability are LTS who really are disabled.

Well, then the only other conclusion I can come up with as to why these two kids were so excited about getting disability is because they are idiots who apparently live in a world that time forgot.  Which is nothing new around here.  It took this town years to even allow a vote to pass that allowed alcohol to be served "by the drink" in local resturaunts.  And there are still people trying to appeal that.

Hell, we even have to deal with that kind of backwards thinking in our own family.  My boyfriend had a bad wreck during the summer that completely totaled his car, & it was all because he was driving too fast & not paying attention to the road.  We found out later that his extremely religious zealot sister who belongs to some sort of borderline snake handling church/cult told her 9 year old son that the reason my boyfriend had that car accident was because he was not living the kind of life God wanted him to live.  Naturally, he has not disclosed his status to her.  If she thinks something as simple as not going to church can bring on a car accident, then who the hell knows what she'd say about HIV? Probably that God infected him with it because he was secretly a homosexual & also because we were living together & not married.  I'm sure while she was at it she would probably end up accusing him of raping puppies & molesting children too.  It's a wonderful world that we live in here. ::) 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 01:42:40 am »

and you should stop letting it bother you.  People have directed the same thing at me Marco and hey it makes me laugh like hell.  Never ever once on this forum have I trounced into a thread proclaiming to be straight.  Nope...  and everyone here is well aware how I was infected because I told them my very first ever AM post.  May catch some flack for this, but I am of the thinking that if you did it just once don't brag about being straight cuz your not.

With that said I like pussy.  I tried dick once and I failed at it and got my ass beat in some strangers bedroom.  I can laugh about it now... two dicks swinging in the dark until he connected that beautiful upper cut!!!  LMAO Now of course this is the first time I've shared this with the forum as a whole, but Bucko got a laugh out of it when I told him 4 years ago and so did my beautiful wife three years ago.

Marco, when it boils down to it your sexuality only matters to one person and that is yourself.  At the same time what they are referring to in this thread is not just made up for conversation's sake.  It's real my man and those that take offense of it easily are equally viewed easily with suspicion...  brother, it is what it is. ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 03:19:44 am »
in the 5 years I was poz I met one psycho who was hell bent on getting the gift.  I chalked it up to meth induced psychosis because in between wanted to get bred he shot up.  I couldn't get out of the house quick enough.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 05:37:31 am »

Hmmm...getting close (again) to that same dysfunction that swirls up around here now and then--that there are no 'real' straight men with HIV.  Sure--what is submitted above is true for some, but please lets not go all broad-brush with these things again.

Maybe you guys should really read the whole quote, in particularly the highlighted part. Of course people get infected through "straight" sex.. and not once from all the posts here I find remotely doubting all any fellow heterosexuals' orientation.

I will however echo what Ms. P has pointed out about the original post - I also wonder which support/information forums/chatrooms for us HIV folks would one be "cruised" for sex, not to mention one that is populated with "bugchasers" looking for "straight" men to infect them... yeah, maybe in bugshare or even manhunt or gaydar, but a forum like here and, say, the Body?
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 01:26:43 pm »
was either consciously or sub-consiously seeking out HIV and other illnesses. I know most don't share my opinion, but don't really care what you think.
This is crappy pyschobabble and why would you post your opinion and say you don't care what we think. So why should we care what you think? Why even participate in this forum.

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 09:53:36 pm »
Statistics? Never seen anyone contract HIV from statistics but I have from unprotected anal and vaginal sex.

Voyeur   ;)
2014 VL UD - 48

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.