Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 12:11:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773453
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 294
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 286
Total: 286

Author Topic: Is it possible to give birth to neg baby from a POZ spouse and remain NEG?  (Read 5627 times)

Offline 4freedom

• Standard
A man born with HIV married an uninflected woman who then gave birth to a child.   Can the woman remain negative and the child born negative? 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:47:27 pm by 4freedom »

Offline 4freedom

• Standard
SOME I CARE ABOUT claims to be NEG after giving birth with someone POZ
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:56:42 pm »
(—Jim Dublin—please do not MOVE my post...it belongs here)

Is it possible that both the child and mother are uninfected?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Hiya

Why the question? Are you living with HIV or is your partner living with HIV, are you perhaps trying to conceive ? Or is this just a general knowledge question?

The short answer is yes of course. Many of the forum members are parents to HIV negative children and even more of us have HIV negative partners.

I have two children myself.

Depending on the situation, the negative partner could take PrEP. Pre-exposure prophylaxis (or PrEP) is when people take HIV medicines daily to lower their chances of getting HIV

That said if the partner is UD its not needed, this is due to
Treatment-as-prevention (TasP) and is when the hiv positive partner is using antiretroviral (ARV) medication to decrease the risk of HIV transmission. Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP)
HIV TasP

This has been studied at length and to mention 1 of the studies as an example the "Partner" study is a major study looking at the chances of transmitting HIV with an undetectable viral load, there have been no transmissions between either gay or heterosexual serodiscordant partners.

Partner study
transmission-zero

More recent: Zero, No Linked HIV Transmissions in PARTNER Study After Couples Had Sex 58,000 Times Without Condoms: Click here for more information

Undetectable Meant Zero HIV Transmissions After 87,000 Condomless Sex Acts
https://www.poz.com/article/undetectable-meant-zero-hiv-transmissions-87000-condomless-sex-acts

Finally the consensus statement http://www.preventionaccess.org/consensus

People living with HIV on ART with an undetectable viral load in their blood have a negligible risk of sexual transmission of HIV.  Depending on the drugs employed it may take as long as six months for the viral load to become undetectable. Continued and reliable HIV suppression requires selection of appropriate agents and excellent adherence to treatment. HIV viral suppression should be monitored to assure both personal health and public health benefits.

NOTE:   An undetectable HIV viral load only prevents HIV transmission to sexual partners. Condoms also help prevent HIV transmission as well as other STIs and pregnancy. The choice of HIV prevention method may be different depending upon a person’s sexual practices, circumstances and relationships. For instance, if someone is having sex with multiple partners or in a non-monogamous relationship, they might consider using condoms to prevent other STIs

Perhaps you can share more details about the situation so we can give a more accurate reply to you.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:43:04 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
The post was moved as its a prevention question by itself and there is nothing more to go on for now. I've also merged your threads.

Is this the question/situation??

SOME I CARE ABOUT claims to be NEG after giving birth with someone POZ

Because if the Mother gave birth to a HIV positive baby, that means she is living with HIV.

Or is this below the question/scenario?

Is it possible to give birth to neg baby from a POZ spouse and remain NEG?
Is it possible that both the child and mother are uninfected?

Yes of course it possible to be in a relationship with a man living with HIV and, the partner & child remaining HIV negative. As mentioned many of the forum members are parents to HIV negative children and, even more of us have HIV negative partners. This is thanks to TaSP as explained above and in some cases PrEP.

You question really belongs here in prevention and perhaps you can clarify on what the situation is and how it exactly relates to you? That way we can understand better and provide a more clear answer.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 01:54:54 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.