Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:54:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 581
Total: 581

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Been putting it off but gotta see the Dentist!  (Read 3350 times)

Offline pauldigital

• ...push aside those that whisper never...
Been putting it off but gotta see the Dentist!
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:08:02 pm »
Hi folks.

I've been putting off going to see the Dentist for ages ever since I found out about my hiv a couple of years ago.  I can't avoid it any longer as I have bloody agonising toothache.

Coward that I am, I'm terrified of just walking in and saying 'hello, by the way - since my last visit I've got hiv!'. Not sure what to do yet.

I started meds a month ago (Kivexa/Sustiva) and just wondered if I'll still be able to go under a general anaesthetic at the Dentists?

Just wondered it anyone's got any thoughts/experiences on this.

Cheers, PAUL -xxx-

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: Been putting it off but gotta see the Dentist!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:22:03 pm »
Paul , I have been going to the dentist regularly ( 2x/yr) for cleaning and treatments...the Dentist never had a problem .. I of course told her when I first went ... that has been more than 10 yrs.......so get on with it...fill out the patient form ...put down  HIV...and see what happens....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:40:45 pm »
hello paul -
in the uk, BDA guidelines require all dentists to be working in a way which protects both them, their staff, & their patients from hiv, hep etc. So, you don't have to tell em if you don't feel comfortable.  If they do know, though, helps them to look out for oral health issues which can be specific to hiv.
Dunno what the situation is where you live, but down here, i can think of a few dental practises whose literature makes specific reference to welcoming patients with hiv. Your clinic might be able to recommend one too, if you don't feel comfotable with current dentist.

anaesthetic, local or general, not aware of an interaction with your meds - i'm hoping you'd only be having a local though, eh?
hope you get it sorted, soon..

kate (gold star & a sticker from the dentist this morning  :))
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 12:44:18 pm by penguin »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 11:52:37 pm »
Hello Paul,

You are not required to inform your dentist that you are HIV positive. Universal precautions are taken. There may be a question on the dental forms, as to what medications you are currently on, along with, are you HIV positive. I always list my medications, and I feel comfortable disclosing to those that are going to treat me. That is just the way I have been through the years. I have never had a problem, with dentists, doctors, surgeons, eye doctors, or dermatologist, after informing them of my status. And if someone gives you a problem, they should be reported. Once again, this is your choice...

I have had local anesthetic done on a couple of occasions at the dentist, while on Viramune, Epzicom, and Viread, with no problems whatsoever.

You may already have an infection going on in your mouth, so chances are the dentist, will not do anything on that visit, except to prescribe you anti-biotics, to fight the infection down. You would most likely go back and see him/her again in 5 days or so after starting on anti-biotics.

Sorry you have the fear of the dentist, but try to relax, and get this matter taken care of. You will feel so much better afterwords, And infection in the mouth, gums, should not be taken lightly. I look at the dentist as someone who is part of my general health care.

Get to the dentist/ get fixed up---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:47:38 am »
Paul, I just went back to the dentist - I had an appointment back in May, but testing positive and going on meds riight before then made me cancel that appointment. 

I went back to the dentist about a month ago, and we 'had the talk.'  He and his entire staff were VERY supportive, and made me think that I should have gone back sooner. 

A good dentist is an important partner in your overall healthcare, and I believe he or she needs to know you are positive in order to give you the best care.

Best of luck...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.