Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:47:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Boyfriend is Poz and I have questions.  (Read 9814 times)

Offline Tking19

• Here to support and educate myself.
My Boyfriend is Poz and I have questions.
« on: June 05, 2010, 01:07:22 am »
So I have a question. My boyfriend is poz and I am neg. He told me eight months before we started dating that he was poz. At first I disappeared. I was scared. I was ignorant and didn't understand. After months of reading and spiritual/mental growth I decided I was going to give it a shot. I decided that I would not let HIV status stop me from finding love. I mean, you never know; right? Well we started dating a couple of months ago. It's been wonderful. I seriously think this guy is my soul mate. It's like he was made for me and I was made for him. When you are hit with love, it's intense. I am a 23 year old gay man and have NEVER felt this way. I am here to support him and to learn more about HIV. My question is: how many serodiscordant relationships are out there? Is this common? Should I worry as much as I do about his health? I feel like sometimes I turn into my (god forbid) mother. Let me know what you think.

Offline averagejoe1977

• Viral Load Warrior: HIV & Me
Re: My Boyfriend is Poz and I have questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:08:20 am »
I know of quite a few people in serodiscordant relationships. I think it's sweet that you worry about him, but try not to worry TOO much! :)

Glad you've both found each other.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:24:46 am »
My question is: how many serodiscordant relationships are out there? Is this common? Should I worry as much as I do about his health? I feel like sometimes I turn into my (god forbid) mother. Let me know what you think.

Welcome to this forum. Serodiscordant relationships are quite common, yes.
You did a wonderful thing educating yourself and then pushing yourself to take the risk of love.
It seems your education about HIV was good enough to see that you personally can easily manage the "risk of HIV" by just having safe sex.  So the real risk for you was just to take the leap into loving another person.

Its a pity more people can't get the message that HIV is not a threat if everyone who needs to know, knows, and acts accordingly.

Why exactly are you worried about his health?  You didn't explain anything about his health, other than he is HIV+.    

So you worry in general about that, about HIV and the future, etc.  Or is he having some challenges now??  

Big difference, in my opinion.   If you have a general anxiety about the future so you are doing "mom like" nagging worry in the present, its probably not the best idea.  Worrying and caregiving is not necessarily the most tasty ingredient in constructing a newish relationship.  On the other hand, if your boyfriend is seriously challenged by HIV now, and you are worrying a lot now, I kinda wonder what are the other things in the relationship that made you fall in love?   Just want to check to see what situation exactly you two are in before commenting about the "too much worry" concern.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:44:04 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:57:30 pm »
My boyfriend is poz and I am negative. 
Worry can consume your life if you let it--don't let it.  Worry when there is something to worry just like you would in any other relationship.  As long as my bf is taking care of himself, I don't worry.  People get colds, flu, and everything else and has nothing to do with HIV, I just keep a closer eye on him to make sure he is ok because I know his immune system isn't functioning 100%. 
Just like any any other relationship, be there for eachother.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:43:23 pm »
I have a good friend who has had HIV since 1985, he's doing great overall and has been in a relationship for the past 10 years with a guy who is negative. They always use condoms with anal and the neg partner has remained neg.

Recent studies are confirming that if the poz partner is on meds and undetectable this makes the chances of transmission very low. I'd still use condoms anyway but I believe those studies looked at transmission rates without condoms among heterosexual couples.

LINK:

Antiretroviral therapy tied to decreased HIV transmission risk

http://sify.com/news/antiretroviral-therapy-tied-to-decreased-hiv-transmission-risk-news-health-kf1lElaieie.html

The couple I mentioned above had one scare in the 10 years. There was some blood involved, I forget exactly what happened. To be on the safe side the neg guy took PEP (post exposure prophylaxis) and he was fine.

If anything ever happens that is cause for concern, such as a condom break with ejaculation and you on bottom, you can go on PEP within 48 to 72 hours, but the sooner the better. If it takes a while to get to the doctor and get the Rx you can start by taking whatever HIV meds he's on. I'm not a doctor but that's what my friends did and that's what I would do so it's just a suggestion in case you find yourself in that situation. PEP should be taken for about a month.

There are many serodiscordant couples. If you approach it sanely and intelligently you'll be fine.

Is your boyfriend on medications for HIV with an undetectable viral load?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:13:40 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:00:55 pm »
There has been at least one case of transmission during unprotected anal intercourse in a monogamous couple where the poz partner was on meds and undetectable.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:12:02 pm »
There has been at least one case of transmission during unprotected anal intercourse in a monogamous couple where the poz partner was on meds and undetectable.

Yes, it can happen which is why I'd still use condoms for anal (and for oral that involves semen) if I were the neg partner in a serodiscordant relationship.

It's just good to know that when a partner is undetectable the chances of transmission are way lower but that doesn't mean condoms should be dispensed with.

One of the poz.com bloggers, Shawn Decker has been poz since he was a kid and his wife is HIV-negative. They do lecture tours stressing condom usage.

LINK:

http://blogs.poz.com/shawn/

Offline Tking19

• Here to support and educate myself.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:10:06 pm »
To answer the worry comment, my boyfriend is not just HIV poz (cd4 703 and VL undetectable) but he also has Hep C (VL 6,000,000). He contracted the Hep C in the military. The main reason I worry, is because I feel like I need to know more. I worry because he is having an issue with some side effects with the interferon's. I don't nag or anything. I am not that kind of person. Also, he knows when I grip at him, it is because he has a level of apathy that makes me worried. I think we are a good balance. I honestly just love him, a lot. I plan on continuing to educate myself and not not be dumb. I dig him and he digs me and that's all I am concerned about. I honestly love this site to because I have learned a lot of medical and personal facts. Thanks for helping me on my journey. 

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 09:51:09 pm »
Tking19:

Hey! As you describe it, your BF's HIV is well under control. That means he may also have a greater chance for success with his HCV treatment. Interferon is (still) included in every current successful treatment used worldwide. Adjusting with him (compensating, understanding, education) to his HCV treatment side effects might be a big help to him. You already seem to show that kind of attitude. As for "mothering" or "nursing" I don't know whether this would be attractive to him ("he cares!) or a turn-off ("smothering"). No two people have exactly the same dynamic. The plus side of HCV treatment is the virus may be cured (SVR),. Better to "only" have HIV.

I was in a long term serodiscordant relationship. My "ex" remains negative. Medical adversity, like other struggles, may have a silver lining. From my own point of view (30 years older than you), untested "love" really has no meaning or attraction for me anymore---life is full of struggles---not just medical challenges. Wishing you two success and happiness!

-Steven (aka   8)  megasept)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:02:11 pm by megasept »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 09:54:37 pm »
A couple members here have been through HepC  treatment and its no picnic. I expect they will pipe in here soon.
He's lucky to have your support and love through the trying time.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.