Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:54:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 649
Total: 649

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This just makes my day??? yikes  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
This just makes my day??? yikes
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »
Well after being terminated for renewing my teaching certificate a couple of weeks late. I am having problems concentrating with all the drugs and my bipolar disorder.
the Detroit Public Schools sent me a letter today. I am to report as a building sub to my old building. I will be paid by the day, I will have no benifits, and I will be in a different class everyday. My pay will drop to less than 1/2 of what I was getting.
This is what I call a total screw over. this is just another kick in the head.
Peter

Offline Snowangel

Re: This just makes my day??? yikes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 04:54:49 pm »
Sorry to hear that, Peter.

That is a dumb rule not to get your certificate because you were a few weeks late.  Maybe they will come to thier senses and re-instate you.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Peter6836

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:48:53 pm »
Yeah I doubt it, this is so demeaning, I would like to tell them to kiss my ass.

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:03:37 pm »
Good luck Peter!
I guess you have to decide what you really want. Its probably worth giving this a chance to see where it will lead!?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:59:38 pm »
I would like to tell them to kiss my ass.

Maybe you should.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 09:10:16 pm »
Could you transfer to another county or district?

Offline atlq

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:13:45 pm »

Could you transfer to another county or district?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering....qualified teachers are always in short supply...
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline Texan38

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:02:27 pm »
Oh, Peter, that's terrible news but you know what I've always believed that things happen for a reason. Perhaps something better is coming your way!

{{Texas size hug}}

Mark
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:07:58 am »
Hello peter,

Can this possibly be contested, By going through the teachers union. Are you in a union ?

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Peter6836

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 11:31:43 am »
Yes I am in the union, they have been no help at all. this is just a situation of cutting staff and expenses it is the sign of the times and is very disconcerting. Fairness is not something that is in vogue right now especially in Detroit. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I can be retrained. If there are any monnies out there for schooling that I could qualify for. Of course who would want to spend money on a 53 yr old with hiv and other health conditions.
Peter

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 12:08:14 pm »
Yes I am in the union, they have been no help at all. this is just a situation of cutting staff and expenses it is the sign of the times and is very disconcerting. Fairness is not something that is in vogue right now especially in Detroit. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I can be retrained. If there are any monnies out there for schooling that I could qualify for. Of course who would want to spend money on a 53 yr old with hiv and other health conditions.
Peter

I think you should speak to a lawyer about what or why they're doing this too you, have you considered this? best of luck to you, if I were you, I wouldn't put up with that, tell them that, THIS is unexceptable  ??? I wouldn't take this type of treatment laying down, that is BULL SHIT  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline ArisGreekSquared

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 11:09:16 am »
Why would they have to know you have HIV and other health conditions? None of my employers have ever known. It's none of their business...

Offline Peter6836

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
Aris you are right and I do not have to make it an issue. It is apparent that it is something that I myself am still dealing with. For a full update see my post in Mental Health.
Thank you all for your support, I am working at getting my job back and moving ahead thanks to people that listen and give good advice.
Peter

Offline ArisGreekSquared

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 01:36:19 pm »
Just one more note...Even though you do sound like you are in a slightly borderline suicidal state as noted above, just keep in mind that while it may be the quick way out, it's also a very selfish act to your family and friends.  You also have to think of the financial repercussions that could get thrown on to your family because if you have life insurance and you commit suicide then they won't get the money and if you have a mortgage and other debt then they may be responsible in paying it especially if they don't have it.

While yes you do have HIV and other health problems the thing you need to realize is that you have access to great medication and support systems here in the U.S.A. whether it is an online support system of friends, in-person systems at local facilities, and most importantly: family and friends that truly love you and would be at a loss if you were gone. Be fortunate we are in a country that has access to these medications and some of the best hospital and treatment centers in the world.  IMagine if we lived in a third world country that didn't have any of this?

We all have our ups and downs in life and this is just another obstacle you have to overcome.  Life is too precious to throw away.

Aside from that and pardon if this starts any fued, I think there are a lot of other diseases out there that are worse than HIV/AIDS such as untreatable cancers, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, MS just to name a few.  Be thankful that we can lead an almost, if not, normal life on medication.  Sure...we may have some side effects, but I'd be willing to deal with them if it extends my life for another 30+ years...

I've encountered hate and hardship in my life but I stuck through it and saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

But that's just me...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.