Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:37:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 323
Total: 323

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: outdated medical research  (Read 4364 times)

Offline em

outdated medical research
« on: July 20, 2020, 06:31:24 am »
parallels in history in reference to illness .

someone a long time ago ( around the mid eighties )  suggested I read the book. the ballad of typhoid Mary published in 1982 .

I did not stop there . I looked into every trivial detail . Like how she was confined to a hospital that was in the middle of a TB epidemic .  a large number of people died from TB that over shadowed Typhoid.  When she passed away a treatment was found five years later that cured people like her .

This was an interesting topic about how life used to be and how life repeats itself. the illnesses may have different names . But some how people still got sick and died   

just an interesting read about illness and how society deals with it and how people live with it ?     

another relevant topic along the same line. Doctor Ehrlich's Magic Bullet with Edward G Robinson (1940)     About finding ways to treat disease.   the arsenic treatment for syphilis. the movie came out a about the same time penicillin was first used in 1942.   

medical research.  those who forget the past are something about repeating it ? 

history has parallels that repeat ? the names may have changed but the results remain the same ? I know outdated information . that might inspire patients and the knowledge of not being alone and the things we deal with others have dealt with
 before ?

all the best to you

EM

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: outdated medical research
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 03:33:40 pm »
parallels in history in reference to illness .

someone a long time ago ( around the mid eighties )  suggested I read the book. the ballad of typhoid Mary published in 1982 .

I did not stop there . I looked into every trivial detail . Like how she was confined to a hospital that was in the middle of a TB epidemic .  a large number of people died from TB that over shadowed Typhoid.  When she passed away a treatment was found five years later that cured people like her .

This was an interesting topic about how life used to be and how life repeats itself. the illnesses may have different names . But some how people still got sick and died   

just an interesting read about illness and how society deals with it and how people live with it ?     

EM

Did you forget that you brought this subject of Typhoid Mary up in this thread from April 27th 2020

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=74216.msg768253#msg768253

I thought I was losing my mind reading about Typhoid Mary again, but apprently my mind is fine.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:36:24 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline em

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 09:55:14 pm »

I thought I might have ? I did not realize it was read 1313 times.  started  in April . You recalled reading it .  what do you think about the parallels of typhoid mary and the way people with HIV have been treated ?

I wonder if anyone who read that read the book ? no one posted any thoughts ? SO I guess no one reads books anymore ?

I can say this when I read it I thought how hard her life must have been ? then I thought everyone with HIV has had a similar road to walk

sorry it helped me many years ago to think that this type of experience of getting an illness and how it happened  to others before me . gave me perspective on the repetitive nature of living.   

the thought of how these new things are so similar to old things.

I thought about this many times . it gave me hope .   

If  I am repetitive so is life ? 

the hope that people over came just such hardships might inspire others and myself .
that this too might be overcome ?

just trying to find a way to share these experiences ?   

the guy who suggested the book. told me another friend of his with HIV had suggested the book to him . He read it and was suggesting the same book to me ? a family member had told me he passed away.   When I met him at a coffee shop he seemed sadder than any person I had ever met ?    When I asked him  why he was so out of sorts . He told me he had HIV. I kept talking with him ? I  was trying to be someone who would listen to him . Even when he had mentioned his desire to get some hereon ? I asked why would you want  that in your life ? He said you should try it i? I thought no thanks life is hard enough without adding that to your life ?  how do you help someone who wants you join them in a hereon drug experience ? sorry but I did not want to try hereon ?  saving him seemed to me to out of my ability of things to accomplish. when someone told me he had passed away .  Many people I have known have passed away some who did not even have HIV still have died ?   the world is a strange and scary place .

people ?  go figure ?  I do not understand ?  I did not mention that in the last post 

the movie about illnesses ?  the magic bullets .  the arsenic treatment and how people back then used to take the treatment thinking they might not get sick and live longer and not get the illness a sort of PREP . Before hiv was known people had the same idea ?

new ideas are just old ideas brought back to life as new discoveries  even though similar things have already happened

about not being crazy ? try proving that some time ?   the more you say you are not crazy the crazier you came across as being. a ketch 22 scenario. 

apparently no one read the book ? or thought it worth their time ?

to me it was a good read

thank you for letting me share my thoughts on my experiences with HIV

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 10:44:29 pm »

I thought I might have ? I did not realize it was read 1313 times.  started  in April . You recalled reading it .  what do you think about the parallels of typhoid mary and the way people with HIV have been treated ?

I wonder if anyone who read that read the book ? no one posted any thoughts ? SO I guess no one reads books anymore ?

I can say this when I read it I thought how hard her life must have been ? then I thought everyone with HIV has had a similar road to walk

sorry it helped me many years ago to think that this type of experience of getting an illness and how it happened  to others before me . gave me perspective on the repetitive nature of living.   

the thought of how these new things are so similar to old things.

I thought about this many times . it gave me hope .   

If  I am repetitive so is life ? 

the hope that people over came just such hardships might inspire others and myself .
that this too might be overcome ?

just trying to find a way to share these experiences ?   

the guy who suggested the book. told me another friend of his with HIV had suggested the book to him . He read it and was suggesting the same book to me ? a family member had told me he passed away.   When I met him at a coffee shop he seemed sadder than any person I had ever met ?    When I asked him  why he was so out of sorts . He told me he had HIV. I kept talking with him ? I  was trying to be someone who would listen to him . Even when he had mentioned his desire to get some hereon ? I asked why would you want  that in your life ? He said you should try it i? I thought no thanks life is hard enough without adding that to your life ?  how do you help someone who wants you join them in a hereon drug experience ? sorry but I did not want to try hereon ?  saving him seemed to me to out of my ability of things to accomplish. when someone told me he had passed away .  Many people I have known have passed away some who did not even have HIV still have died ?   the world is a strange and scary place .

people ?  go figure ?  I do not understand ?  I did not mention that in the last post 

the movie about illnesses ?  the magic bullets .  the arsenic treatment and how people back then used to take the treatment thinking they might not get sick and live longer and not get the illness a sort of PREP . Before hiv was known people had the same idea ?

new ideas are just old ideas brought back to life as new discoveries  even though similar things have already happened

about not being crazy ? try proving that some time ?   the more you say you are not crazy the crazier you came across as being. a ketch 22 scenario. 

apparently no one read the book ? or thought it worth their time ?

to me it was a good read

thank you for letting me share my thoughts on my experiences with HIV

Em

I have been away for a bit. Your words remind me of what matters,

MtD

Offline em

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 06:59:30 am »
hello MtD

good to hear from you .

Just wanted to add to this about the topic crazy

I heard a few times , Einstein was quoted. the def of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results .

My thought on his def . life is repetitive the results . 

so therefore by his def.  everyone is crazy.   

to misquote Forest Gump

Crazy is as crazy does .

that was just a movie.

Art imitating life . life imitating art.    an endless cycle

the guy i had mentioned he told me that he had dropped out of school , run away from home to go to Hollywood to be part of the entertainment industry was my guess. He came back home to try and put back  together his life . 

HIV had other plans . He like everyone else tried to find what made him happy 

sorry for the long responses.   those of us who are still among the living keep those who have passed in our hearts and minds . 

this one comes to mind of the flower that blooms in adversity.

is the the most beautiful ( from Disney's Mulan )

this my thought on that statement .

in that it over came that adversity and therefor gives hope and is the most welcome gift of life . 

Please pardon the non short blurb nature of my response . I am old and do not think in the modern way of the internet .

all the best to you
'
EM

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.