Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:43:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 463
Total: 464

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and SSDI Continuing Disability Review Policy Change  (Read 6029 times)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
HIV and SSDI Continuing Disability Review Policy Change
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:36:19 pm »
Effective March 1, 2017, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) case officers have been instructed not to screen out a Continuing Disability Review (CDR) for SSDI recipients because of a HIV infection.  Disability recipients who qualified because they have HIV will now be subject to routine reviews of their eligibility status every one to seven years.

The story appears in the March 15, 2017, edition of "The Body."

link to story:

http://www.thebody.com/content/79529/yes-ssa-disability-just-made-a-slight-change-for-h.html?ic=wnhp

reference link:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/02282017105458AM

From the story in "The Body," referring to SSDI recipients:

"..you should NOT be freaking out, according to HIV benefits expert Justin Hayford, a legal advocate at Legal Council for Health Justice (formerly AIDS Legal Council of Chicago). He told TheBody.com that this change has been years in the making.

"I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner," he said, given that, since at least 2000, Social Security has no longer considered HIV diagnosis alone to be a stand-alone cause for ongoing inability to work.

All the change means, he said, is that people who get SSA disability because of their HIV will have their case reviewed every few years along with everyone else on SSA. (Only people living with HIV who have certain other conditions, such as certain lymphomas or sarcomas, will be excluded from the need for review).

But, even when or if your review happens, it's likely your SSA won't be taken away because you may have other diagnoses that qualify you for disability, such as chronic neuropathy, diarrhea, fatigue, depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, heart disease, diabetes -- or any other number of conditions that often go hand in hand with an HIV diagnosis (especially among HIV long-timers).

The most important thing to know and do? Be meticulous in documenting all your health issues with your doctor, even if they include things such as neuropathy, fatigue or gastrointestinal problems that you've lived with so long that you no longer bring them up at doctor visits. Having them on the record will be crucial when and if your disability benefits do come up for review. (And even that may depend on how much staff SSA has.)

This cannot be stressed enough. "Make sure your doctor is putting these things in your medical record if SSA does a review!" insisted John Peller, president/CEO of AIDS Foundation of Chicago, to TheBody.com)."

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:53:20 pm by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lagniappe4

Re: HIV and SSDI Continuing Disability Review Policy Change
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 12:51:13 am »
I read that ones own doctor will not be involved in the CDR but a MD chosen by SS.
That does not make sense but it's on the government's website that announced the change in CDR for HIV+.

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:02:24 pm »
I'M not sure if i am in the correct forum to ask this or not but here goes.I  get a social security check and i also get a permanent disability check from the company i use to work for(almost 25 yrs.).MY question is at the age of 65 will anything change.I never really thought about it but someone asked me and now i am worried!!!!The company i worked  for was a private gas and electric company and finally they gave me a permanent disability status.I am now 63 yrs old.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:28:32 pm »
You would have to check with your company about its disability check to you, but your social security check, if it is SSDI (disability), will continue until your Full Retirement Age (FRA)--a sliding scale depending on the year you were born--and then it simply converts to your regular social security (the same amount and then given Cost-of-Living-Adjustments yearly as determined).

If your social security is simply social security (non-SSDI), and you started drawing it early (i.e., after you turned 62 but before your FRA), it will simply continue, of course, with Cost-of-Living-Adjustments yearly as determined.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »
THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE,IT IS simply a social security check and NOT SSDI

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:46:51 pm »
Then it will continue as is, with Cost-of-Living-Adjustments.

Again, you will need to check with your company about that disability.  If you are eligible for a company pension at a certain age, your disability may stop and you just take your pension (perhaps, adjusted upward for the years you were on the company disability).  It depends on the individual company, so no one on this forum can likely help you with this one, not knowing your company policy.  Check with your company's Human Resources department.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.