Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:53:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 136
Total: 137

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Grapefruit  (Read 5780 times)

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Grapefruit
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:34:44 pm »
When my medications (Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir) were prescribed, the doctor gave me handouts for each.  I've misplaced them but recall that one said to not have grapefruit or grapefruit juice with that particular med (I forget which one).  Since then I've been unable to find a similar warning in any literature.  Does anyone know for sure about that?  I'm also taking Bactrim DS but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

The reason I'm asking is that I really want to have the swordfish at the restaurant we're visiting tonight, but it's marinated in grapefruit juice.    :P
It's a complex world

Offline bear60

Re: Grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:46:19 pm »
Hi
Here are several previous threads on the subject of grapefruit :
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=20659.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17829.0

Its possible to enter a keyword into the search feature you find in the left hand column of the forums page, and it will take you to a number of possible results for that word.

Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline BlueMoon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:43:21 pm »
Thanks Bear60, that's what I needed to know.  I checked the med lessons but didn't think to search the forums. 

It's a bit disturbing that the info wasn't included in the flyers I got with my meds.  I'm fond of pink grapefruit and would have been eating it all along if I hadn't read that one handout in the doctor's office.

I still may chance it tonight.  Maybe the mercury in the fish will neutralize the grapefruit.    ;D
It's a complex world

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:58:26 pm »

The reason I'm asking is that I really want to have the swordfish at the restaurant we're visiting tonight, but it's marinated in grapefruit juice.    :P

I would say dinner sounds fantastic !!  Enjoy!  I wouldn't worry...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:03:50 pm »
The keyword to look for re. grapefruit is interactions with isoenzyme CYP3A4. Sustiva and Truvada are two medications that are boosted if grapefruit is eaten. (Sustiva + fatty foods + grapefruit = A very stange drunken sensation for instance)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »
I think I will eat a grapefruit today.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:38:18 am »
I used to love red grapefruit, but I can't eat them with my thyroid med or my cholesterol med. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:27:44 am »
Seriously -- am I to believe that a simple indulgence of ONE red grapefruit each month is going to fuck things up?  Sorry, but I refuse to live that way.  I think these warnings are for people who would eat grapefruit and/or juice on a daily basis.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:22 pm »
I think these warnings are for people who would eat grapefruit and/or juice on a daily basis.

Twice now, my doc has said that I can ignore most such warnings; the negative interactions are pretty rare, apparently. The only combinations he's specifically called out are PIs with St John's Wort and PIs with milk thistle. Curiously, he also said that I don't have to worry at all about PIs and ED drugs (heh, how'd he know?). "Indulge yourself" was, I recall, his exact phrase. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:07:26 pm by Okealyshire »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:43:50 pm »
I don't eat grapefruit, but I do take milk thistle.

I've taken it for years without ill effect.

But, my doc specifically warned me off of grapefruit because ot the PI I take and the statin.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BlueMoon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:10:49 pm »
I used to love red grapefruit, but I can't eat them with my thyroid med or my cholesterol med. 

Yes, it appears that grapefruit affects quite a few different meds.    :-[

Maybe an occasional grapefruit is ok, but I know only what the experts tell me, and as an AIDS n00b I'm focussed on adherence.  I'm resistant to NNRTIs right out of the gate.  I don't feel that I can afford to take a cavalier attitude toward the advice of the people who make and administer my meds.  So, no grapefruit for me.  Now if they tell me no strawberries, there's gonna be trouble. 

Despite that, I think I still may have had that swordfish the other night, but it wasn't on the menu.  Another dilemma dodged.
It's a complex world

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 07:28:20 pm »
Despite that, I think I still may have had that swordfish the other night, but it wasn't on the menu.  Another dilemma dodged.

oh my what about the mercury toxity.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.