Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:23:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 589
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Effective HIV Treatment Drove Swift Decline in Suicides  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Effective HIV Treatment Drove Swift Decline in Suicides
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:24:13 pm »
Suicide is a painful topic that most of us sadly are familiar with.  Anyhow, I'm not surprised with the results of this analysis indicating post-1996 the suicide rate dropped off, neither am I surprised that despite this drop suicide rates remain higher than the national average.

Full POZ.com write-up; https://www.poz.com/article/effective-hiv-treatment-drove-swift-decline-suicides

In short:

The introduction of highly effective combination antiretroviral (ARV) treatment in 1996 precipitated a steep drop in the suicide rate among people living with HIV in Switzerland, aidsmap reports. However, this decline ultimately leveled off and has not seen a significant shift in more recent years, even as treatments have continued to improve.

Publishing their findings in the Journal of the International AIDS Society, researchers led by Matthias Egger, MD, of the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine in Bern, Switzerland, analyzed data on 20,139 people with HIV who were followed for a cumulative 184,402 years between 1988 and 2017. Among them 204 people died by suicide, for a suicide rate of 111 per 100,000 cumulative years of follow-up.

Among men and women with HIV, the suicide rate per 100,000 cumulative years of follow-up was a respective 446 and 149 cases during 1988 to 1996, a respective 99 and 75 cases during 1996 to 1998, and a respective 72 and 34 cases during 2009 to 2017.

By comparison, between 1988 and 2017, the suicide rate in the general population fell from 33 to 20 cases per 100,000 cumulative years of follow-up.

The study found no association between taking Sustiva (efavirenz), which is included in various combination tablets such as Atripla (efavirenz/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine), and suicide. Sustiva has been associated with suicide and suicidal behaviors in some other studies. It is possible no such association was seen here because clinicians avoided prescribing the drug to those with mental health problems.

Similarly, no association was seen between Tivicay (dolutegravir) and suicide.

“Suicide rates have decreased substantially among people living with HIV in the last three decades but have remained about three times higher than in the general population since the introduction of [combination ARV treatment],” the study authors concluded. “Continued emphasis on suicide prevention among men and women living with HIV is important.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

Re: Effective HIV Treatment Drove Swift Decline in Suicides
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:55:50 am »
This is strong reinforcement for the idea that mental health interventions should be one of the priorities in health care for people living with HIV.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:29:18 pm »
Fully agree with you.

The focus has been for a long time on getting people onto treatment. This is, of course, understandable but as this slowly is getting better we also need far better holistic care including mental health support.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:08:22 pm »
I read this when it came out, but thought I'd let it sit for a while.

There wAs no examination of whether the deAths by own hand in the pre 1996 era were in fact all suicides, or whether they included self or assisted euthenasia.

I'm sure I'm not unique among the longtermers in having attended some fantastic euthenasia parties.

Offline em

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 03:24:02 am »
the movie it's my party 1996 .

Offline em

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 06:46:04 am »
BPM beats per minute touches on this topic . I recall watching it's  my party  when it came out in 1996 and it gave me plenty to think about having already been HIV positive for a while and not seeing any thing positive coming down the road any time soon ..

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 04:33:03 pm »
There wAs no examination of whether the deAths by own hand in the pre 1996 era were in fact all suicides, or whether they included self or assisted euthenasia.

From this "we could not distinguish between suicide and assisted suicide" I am presuming the totals in the study for suicide recorded in both pre & post-1996 era included assisted suicide. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.