Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:34:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 433
Total: 433

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need confidence in Oraquick Oral HIV Test  (Read 11755 times)

Offline needconfidence

• Standard
Need confidence in Oraquick Oral HIV Test
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:31 pm »
So it starts off with a high risk encounter.  I had unprotected receptive anal sex, for about 5-10 min.  Not sure how long, but the guy ended up putting a condom on about 5 min before he came.  I was drunk and obviously wasn't thinking, but didn't think too much about it.

About 6 weeks later I started getting sick, which made me think, "what if I got HIV".  Sore throat, fever, general bad feeling, congestion, not too bad and lasted a few days.  Because it wasn't bad, I didn't freak out because I figured I didn't have HIV if I was able to fight off an infection so quickly.

Then 2 weeks after that, at total of 8 weeks from my exposure, I got sick again.  This time it was bad.  I don't think I have ever been that sick before.  Reading about acute HIV seroconverting, I have seen it described as "the worst flu ever".  It did feel like the flu, but it was in July.  Symptoms started with cough, then sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue, muscle aches, bad night sweats, etc...  This went on strong for just over a week. About 5 or 6 days into it, I started feeling little pin pricks on my skin.  I went to the mirror and started seeing these little red dots appear, less than 1mm in size.  To this day (8 months later), they have not gone away.  I kept expecting to have the fever break during the night, but each time I woke up with night sweats I still had a fever.  I wasn't right for 3 weeks.

I freaked out and took the HIV Oraquick oral test when I was still sick.  After buying it, I realized it recommended waiting 3 months from exposure.  I took it anyway and it was negative.  I then took another one at 3 months to the day.  It was also negative.  Ahh, I relaxed.  Kind of.  The 92% accuracy on the oral test didn't settle well.

Around 5 months I got a new girlfriend (yes, gay experience was just some experimenting).  Just to be sure, I took another test before we had sex.  Negative.  Good.

About 5 weeks later, I got sick again.  I went to the doctor and was tested and diagnosed with the flu.  I admit I was worried, but relieved when my sickness was actually tested positive for the flu.  But about a week after the onset of being sick, I started getting the pin prick sensation again, with even more red dots showing up on my torso and upper arms and shoulders.  For a little more than a month I continued to have periodic isolated pin sensations, all over the body.  Developed a rash on my upper arms and shoulders (actual rash, distinctly different from the red dots that never went away).  The pins sensation has finally stopped, but a few weeks later, my mouth gets a weird dryness to it, with a foul metallic taste.  This has been going on for about 2-3 weeks now and still present. (Thrush symptoms?)

Just shy of a week after I got sick with the flu, my girlfriend starts complaining of not feeling well.  I told her she most likely got the flu from me.  She goes to the doctor, tested for flu and strep, but negative.  This got me worried.  She was sick for about 2-3 weeks.  Complained that it was the worst she thinks she had been sick.  Now I couldn't help but fear, what if I gave her HIV because I used the home tests and they had false negatives.  So I took another one, and it was again negative.

Needless to say, because my of my horrid fear that I might have passed on HIV to a girl who is innocent and does not need to know of my sexual encounter with a man, I just can't shake the feeling the Oraquick tests me be giving false negative results.

I finally broke down and bought the Home Access HIV test which uses a blood sample in order to confirm my negative status.  I have taken it and sent it in, but have not called to find out my results yet.

I am just looking for some comfort.  What are the chances of the Oraquick showing false negatives after 4 times up to 7 months after high-risk exposure?  I doubt of not knowing for sure is killing me, but the thought of a positive test result would devastate me.

I have read all the posts on this form and know there are a ton or irrational hypochondriacs who freak out because the fingered a stripper once and think they have AIDS.  This in not me.  I know the chances are high that I am negative, but I am just looking for a little reassurance before call in for my results.

Along with any comfort you can provide to assure me I am negative, please provide details to support why I should expect a negative result.  I really appreciate support from everyone on the forums.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Need confidence in Oraquick Oral HIV Test
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »
You are HIV negative . The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result. If you were HIV positive you would have known by 3 months .

The test you fear gave you false negatives are reliable and you can trust them and there have been so many negative results so remember that they do not give false negatives but do have a low rate of false POSITIVES . You do not have HIV .

I couldn't tell from your post but if you are having unprotected sex with your GF that in itself is a risk if you are not in a mutually exclusive relationship where you both have tested negative together after 3 months of monogamy .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you did not have a risk and do not need to test for this specific incident , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline needconfidence

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:23:49 pm »
Yes, my GF and I are having unprotected sex.  I know that is a risk as well, but I know the chances of me getting HIV from girl is extremely slim.

I can't call tonight for my results, but I will call tomorrow and us my 3rd free post to share the final results.

Thanks again.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:05 pm »
Yes, my GF and I are having unprotected sex.  I know that is a risk as well, but I know the chances of me getting HIV from girl is extremely slim.

I can't call tonight for my results, but I will call tomorrow and us my 3rd free post to share the final results.

Thanks again.

The majority of HIV cases in the world are in the heterosexual community and you are dead wrong to think that the risk is extremely slim of contracting HIV from a woman, notice I didn't use the word girl ... That myth is in part what fuels the epidemic .

Please do save your post to come back with the good news .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline needconfidence

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:05:36 pm »
Confirmed negative.  I am ready to let it go.

Thank you for the support.   I would just like to say, this sight has been useful and beneficial.  I have learned a lot over the last few months reading about peoples stories.  I think what you all are doing is wonderful.  You have my support!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.