Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:25:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 206
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hiv+ for 30 years or more?  (Read 46852 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: hiv+ for 30 years or more?
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:33 pm »
I think I got AIDS from frottage so that means I've been infected since 1977, or 36 years.

Yeah right  ::) so that would mean you got teh AIDS when you were 10 or 13 yrs. old  ???

NOT  :o

HUGS

DEN  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mitch777

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 05:00:25 pm »
Yeah right  ::) so that would mean you got teh AIDS when you were 10 or 13 yrs. old  ???

NOT  :o

HUGS

DEN  :D
Or......
Did you just catch her lying about her age??? ;)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 05:31:00 pm »
Or......
Did you just catch her lying about her age??? ;)

feel better, now post yours you old troll

"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 06:29:50 pm »
feel better, now post yours you old troll

i would be most happy to post my licence (limited shot w/dob).
so....
you think you were infected at age 12?
this is LOL or very very sad.

ps- what happened to your hair?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:50 pm »

ps- what happened to your hair?

The lady at the DMV made me remove my chartreuse wig.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dar58

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 08:17:38 pm »
My husband and I tested pos in 1990, he was dieing from multiple infections and my system was down pretty far, as far as we could figure we were infected at the latest in 1984 so I'll probably be at 30 yrs in 2014. I've only met one other long term survivor from way back then. Glad to know others made it too :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:34 pm »
My husband and I tested pos in 1990, he was dieing from multiple infections and my system was down pretty far, as far as we could figure we were infected at the latest in 1984 so I'll probably be at 30 yrs in 2014. I've only met one other long term survivor from way back then. Glad to know others made it too :)

I'm glad to see YOU made it too!!! :)
Welcome!

Offline Dar58

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2013, 08:29:31 pm »

It just that I never hear people speak with confidence that they have been poz for so long.
I remember the disease hitting me like a club over my head for the first several months. Total fatigue and fevers. And, of coarse thinking that the grim reaper was just around the corner.
The life saving meds became available just in time as my viral load suddenly went through the roof.
Since then, everthing has been just peaches and cream. ha.
So, should I have concern about being turned down for ssdi?
My stats look good.
Viral load undetectable, t-cells have remained in the 600's, still always feel like crap and can no longer focus.
I have not had the physical troubles that many of you have had to face. (yet??)
Sorry about rambling on. (I am originally from Minnesota and part of the Rose Niland in me seems to popping up with more frequency lately.)
[/quote]

Mitch I have been very lucky too, not many infections or too many side affects from meds, my system has never rebound as high as yours though, highest was cd4 count of 400, but the feeling like crap even with undet viral load is usually the fatigue from the meds, that's what gets me a lot. If this is your first time trying for disability they always turn ya down on the first try, I had to explain to them that the fatigue and other intermittent affects made it impossible to KEEP a job. I wish you luck :) And thanks for the welcome :D

Offline mitch777

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »
ya, i'm trying on that ssdi hurdle.
it gets very tiring and frustating.

i hope we will hear more from you. :)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2013, 12:05:58 pm »
One of my nephews just completed a 4 year stint in the Navy and I was fortunate enough to spend yesterday evening with him.  As I was enjoying the evening, it dawned on me that I was younger than he is now when I was diagnosed.  I am not sure where that internal strength came from to survive so long. 

I think a morbid sense of humor helped a lot.  At 24, I was in the hospital with a beautiful shade of orange as my organs were shutting down.  I was in and out of lucidness and I came to and had some strange person standing over me, speaking a foreign language. 

I ordered him out of my room since I'm not Catholic and wasn't ready for last rites.  I think I survived to prove my point.  :) 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Dar58

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 09:54:34 am »
lol Wolfter when I had surgery for cancer my docs were surprised I did so well and recooped so fast. One of them said it was because I laughed so much. And yes I have a knack for dark humor as well. I even put a little xmas light under the sheet and lit it when she came in and asked her if she forgot something inside me lol. Humor is great medicine :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2013, 10:20:17 am »
lol Wolfter when I had surgery for cancer my docs were surprised I did so well and recooped so fast. One of them said it was because I laughed so much. And yes I have a knack for dark humor as well. I even put a little xmas light under the sheet and lit it when she came in and asked her if she forgot something inside me lol. Humor is great medicine :)
LOL!
Did you "plan" this ahead of time or do you normally bring xmas lights with you to the hospital? ;D

Offline wolfter

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2013, 11:07:13 am »

I apologize, I missed this being your first post and forgot to give you a proper welcome.

welcome!!!! ;D 

Wolfie

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2013, 07:44:14 pm »
I been HIV POZ since February 1983, passed into AIDS in 2001 and 30 years later, I am still alive because of the faith I have in GOD, numerous drug trials, to many pills to count.  Today, I am suffering from Cardiac issues from a stroke, shingles outbreak, wasting (107lbs) and very little support mechanisms in place to fully recover, but still strive to out to live as long as possible.
32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2013, 08:38:40 pm »
I been HIV POZ since February 1983, passed into AIDS in 2001 and 30 years later, I am still alive because of the faith I have in GOD, numerous drug trials, to many pills to count.  Today, I am suffering from Cardiac issues from a stroke, shingles outbreak, wasting (107lbs) and very little support mechanisms in place to fully recover, but still strive to out to live as long as possible.
hi atx,
sorry to hear you have been having such a rough time.
i hope your doctors are on top of things.
how long ago was your stroke?
shingles and 107 lbs. to boot.
ugh!
my heart goes out to you.
keep up the positive attitude and i hope to hear more from you for a long time to come! :)

Offline jm1953

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »
I'm around 27 years poz.  Congrats on your 30 year mark.  Seems you are still doing well and having a fairly normal life.  I went on disability in 1999 and it's been kind of a steady decline since then.  But still hanging in there, but for some of us, it gets to a point whether or not just going to the doctor, having procedures performed, and dealing with constant pain is worth it.  But in contrast, I do gain alot of hope from friends of mine with cancer who are so amazingly brave and positive.

Congrats again.  And remember, this is a very individual disease so one experience does not dictate that for another.

Take care
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline fscerra

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:40 pm »
I tested positive in 1989 ...... 24 years ....... health has been good but now is starting to deteriorate

Offline mitch777

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2013, 05:14:34 pm »
welcome fscerra!
wow, 2 first time posters of LTS in the same day! :)
hope to get to know you better as well!
m.

Offline fscerra

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2013, 05:28:16 pm »
Thanks Mitch777 ....... great to hear from you ...... spring is coming to New England .......but Autumn is my favorite season ..... so glad to be a LTS .......

Offline Habersham

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2013, 10:09:53 am »
I consider myself to positive for 29 years.

My partner was hospitalized for Viral Pneumonia in 1984 and tested poz at that time.

No one knew at that time what unsafe sex was. We had been practicing it unaware for a year before that and for a year afterwords. He died about two years later.

I first tested HIV+ in 1987 but believe I had been positive long before.

I estimate my infection to 1984 or before. Right now I am 53 and estimate I have been positive for at least years right now.

There are more of us around than you would think.

On more than one occasion when filling out forms at a Drs office they think I have messed up my dates and I have to laugh.   :)

Because I Can

Offline maxsa

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »
OH,my god......30 years!!!!!! I am from China, MY doctors told me I will die 10 years later :(
I need help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:15 am »
OH,my god......30 years!!!!!! I am from China, MY doctors told me I will die 10 years later :(

Maxsa, I understand that you meant well, but as someone recently diagnosed you are NOT permitted to post in the Long Term Survivors forum. This forum is ONLY for people diagnosed before 1996.

Please do not post in this section of the forums again. You may read the threads here, but do not post. Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LetsKickASS

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:31 pm »
I seroconverted in 1983 so that make 2013 thirty years. I only figured it out in hindsight. I was dating a hunky 6' 4" guy with whom I swapped bodily fluids who suddenly lost 30 pounds in two months then died. (I didn't know what from then. He just said he has "picked up some thing while traveling.) It was while I was dating him that was sick with the symptoms of seroconverstion. I had fevers, enlarged nodes, exhaustion, headaches, etc. It is very clear to me that that was when I seroconverted. I tested in 1986. So I've been H.I.V.-positive for thirty years now. Have AIDS since 1993. But I'm alive!! (And I'm 54-years-old now.)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 08:39:47 pm »
I seroconverted in 1983 so that make 2013 thirty years. I only figured it out in hindsight. I was dating a hunky 6' 4" guy with whom I swapped bodily fluids who suddenly lost 30 pounds in two months then died. (I didn't know what from then. He just said he has "picked up some thing while traveling.) It was while I was dating him that was sick with the symptoms of seroconverstion. I had fevers, enlarged nodes, exhaustion, headaches, etc. It is very clear to me that that was when I seroconverted. I tested in 1986. So I've been H.I.V.-positive for thirty years now. Have AIDS since 1993. But I'm alive!! (And I'm 54-years-old now.)

Wow.
Thank you for joining us!
Curious how long ago you figured this out.
(I am nosey so please forgive my question.)
How are you doing now?
(again... nosey. ::).)
And welcome. :)
m.

Offline castar

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2013, 06:08:05 am »
31 years for me.
Born 1981-Blood transfusion
Found out 1995-14 years old. T cells <100
Don't wish it on anyone 😞

Offline weasel

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2013, 06:07:13 pm »

1982 .

Not a happy affair  . 

I denied  it for years  :-X

Weasel 
" Live and let Live "

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2013, 07:17:03 pm »
I actually didn't test positive until 1985.

But, I contracted viral meningitis in 1980 from an unknown source, shortly after spending time with a delightful young man who had recently fell ill with what he described with the flu.

Except it was early summer.

My first doctor thinks I was probably infected at that time, but, of course, no proof.

Even so, at least I have 28 years to which I can attest.:)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2013, 07:21:57 pm »
I actually didn't test positive until 1985.

But, I contracted viral meningitis in 1980 from an unknown source, shortly after spending time with a delightful young man who had recently fell ill with what he described with the flu.

Except it was early summer.

My first doctor thinks I was probably infected at that time, but, of course, no proof.

Even so, at least I have 28 years to which I can attest.:)

HUGS,

Mark
This is pretty suspicious. ??? Sounds most likely that it was 1980. There were no tests available prior to 1985 was there?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:24 pm »
I didn't think the test was available until 86 with it being routinely available until 87.  But this again, this old AIDS brain doesn't quite function normally.

I'll never be sure as I don't recall ever going through seroconversion.  The only time I remember ever being deathly sick was my Junior year of high school...ikes.  But I believe it was a pretty slutty night on my birthday during college.  School had ended for the summer and I turned 21...time to party....and regret. :(

Edited for clarification as I rec'd a message with the following.

http://kff.org/hivaids/fact-sheet/hiv-testing-in-the-united-states/

1985:   First test for HIV licensed (ELISA)
1987:   First Western Blot blood test kit
1992:   First rapid test
1994:   First oral fluid test
1996:   First home and urine tests
2002:   First rapid test using finger prick
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:32:21 pm by wolfter »

Offline fscerra

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
Celebrating my 23rd anniversary this month ..... diagnosed  8) CDC defined aids for 2 years now .... latest t cell count 96 ..... VL 300 .... previous count t cell 104 .... VL undetectable .... tests repeated yesterday to see if there has been any improvement or if a regimen change is in order .... had a URI that was near to becoming pneumonia .... on antibiotics for that .... feeling better today .... looking forward to the next 23 years ..... 8)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2013, 03:49:16 pm »
Officially 1987, but from my T count at that time and the intensive care stay with an unknown virus in 1983, it happened in 1983....

So I have 30 years on my back as well...

xxxx
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline guitargal

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2014, 04:02:35 am »
Hey everyone,
I do not write here much and I would like to start checking in more and become friends.

I am pos probably 28 years..
Most likely exposed in 1985 although I remember I had a terrible flu in July 1986

Found out in 1992 and was put on AZT right away. I also got ssi in 1993!
 i think i had  cd4 of 210
guess the AZT didn't work as  I kept dropping  160 then 90 , 65 , 33 , 13..

some OI's and pneumonia
I prayed for the smart scientists out there working on new meds. I remember saying to my self, the PI's are coming.. just hang on for the new drugs..
I made it!

Got better in 1998 with PI's I was one of the first in my state to take them.
Had a new lease on life so to speak and a  good life ,considering, a single mom on $600 a month with part time work here and there..

Good docs,  bad docs,  incompetent arrogant docs , trying to find an attorney as we speak but that is another thread…

My son born in 1990 is negative so . ? Even breast fed him a year. I didn't' know I was pos.. i have been blessed to have every minute i have had with him and what a great man he is now!

HEP C+ (will do the new treatment this year)
HIV UD VL  900 something cd4

taken all the meds..(except some of the newer ones…)
currently i suffer extreme severe full body pain undiagnosed for 2+ years now no one knows… i say IRIS?

summer 2011 bad leg pain cramps twitches weakness..a@% Hole doc recommended i stop meds and see if leg pain stops..idiot me did what he said..
well legs got worse and when restarted meds in fall of 2011 after 3 months off ..a reaction happened and left me bed ridden crying and house bound in extreme  pain thinking i was a goner  and no diagnosis or treatment or pain management..FU@%#rs    and ready to smack the docs!
Still here i AM! I have improved this past year and learning to live with this new me.. and have pain meds now but very limited on chores and daily errands. sucks i was a go go go person who just got stopped in her tracks.

all my best LTS we rock!

What a long strange trip it's been

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:52 am »
Welcome Guitargal ,  Sorry about the things you are struggling with and congrats on all your many successes.

Many off us here have pain problems. I am beginning to think there is quite a difference how doctors treat pain. I am a UK resident and have a Pain controll Doctor, and am treated by a combination off drugs.

I do wonder wether the explosion off pain control drug abuse has now skewed all US Doctors approach to pain .

Look forward to your future posts

Michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2014, 01:47:24 pm »
welcome aboard guitargirl.  It seems almost surreal that we've struggled and survived despite the bleak prognosis.  Hope you stick around and get to know our dysfunctional family.   ;D

wolfie

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2014, 05:40:32 pm »
I didn't think the test was available until 86 with it being routinely available until 87.  But this again, this old AIDS brain doesn't quite function normally.

I'll never be sure as I don't recall ever going through seroconversion.  The only time I remember ever being deathly sick was my Junior year of high school...ikes.  But I believe it was a pretty slutty night on my birthday during college.  School had ended for the summer and I turned 21...time to party....and regret. :(

Edited for clarification as I rec'd a message with the following.

http://kff.org/hivaids/fact-sheet/hiv-testing-in-the-united-states/

pretty slutty night translates to had a graet time had no idea could feel so free , I bet Greg thats what you thought for a while then you layered the crap on and the freedom feeling went .

1985:   First test for HIV licensed (ELISA)
1987:   First Western Blot blood test kit
1992:   First rapid test
1994:   First oral fluid test
1996:   First home and urine tests
2002:   First rapid test using finger prick
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2014, 12:27:15 pm »
:)  Yeah, I never considered myself gay; I simply loved having sex with men.  :)  Kinda like the way royalty has always dealt with it.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2014, 12:31:09 pm »
:)  Yeah, I never considered myself gay; I simply loved having sex with men.  :)  Kinda like the way royalty has always dealt with it.

So you're finally admitting you are a queen .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 12:37:05 pm »
So you're finally admitting you are a queen .  ;)

Bill sometimes referred to me as princess whenever I pouted about wanting to waste money on clothes.  ;)  In those days, I could have shopped everyday if allowed.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.