Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:39:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 323
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 323
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does Cannabis Assist with Preventing Nausea?  (Read 15379 times)

Offline Growler

Does Cannabis Assist with Preventing Nausea?
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:29:51 am »
I understand that cannabis can be useful in stimulating appetite but I'm wondering if it has any significant ability to prevent or reduce nausea?

Thanks in advance.

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Does Cannabis Assist with Preventing Nausea?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:28 am »
It's one of those things you have to try out for yourself. For some people, it reduces nausea significantly. Some do not notice any effect. For a few people, it can make it worse or even cause it.

I had a friend years ago who used to get nauseous if she even just smelled a joint being smoked. For me personally, one or two hits would help nausea, but too much would make me hurl if I was already nauseous to begin with.

So yeah, it seems to be a personal response thing.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hoover

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:39:04 am »
For us, weed works GREAT for nausea!
If you do not like the feel or smell of smoke, you can use a vaporizer to smoke the weed.
THC is released at a lower temperature that doesn't require fire.
Also with a vaporizer, you will use much less marijuana and save money.
They sell pretty cheap on ebay.
We also use marijuana at bed time for sleep.
My husband would be addicted to the Pams if it were not for marijuana.

Good luck,
Hoover and ...
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline Growler

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:07:23 am »
Thanks guys. I think I'll give it a try.

G
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Growler

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:09:11 am »
I'm truly sick of this shit.
It's been getting steadily worse over the last 3 days and today I'm reaching my limit. Woke up this morning with the runs, which finally settled after 4 immodium. All I've been able to eat all day is a muesli bar and a home made cheese Burger. I'm hungry and tired as hell and 7 hours after I last ate my stomach aches and I still feel like I'm going to blow chunks.

Now I've got that out of system I shall go sit quietly in the corner.

GROWLER (Playing the world's smallest violin for himself)

Offline Growler

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:39:04 am »
Solids hurt too much so I'm going to try clear fluids for a few days and AI hope I feel better then.
gtowler

Offline Growler

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:24:56 pm »
24 hours of clear fluids and nausea is greatly reduced and no abdo pain....TFC!!!!
Diarrhea still persists but is abating. Had a headache yesterday but fine this morning. Hungry as hell but worth it.

GROWLER

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 03:29:52 pm »
I understand that cannabis can be useful in stimulating appetite but I'm wondering if it has any significant ability to prevent or reduce nausea?

Thanks in advance.

GROWLER

YES, try cooking them in some cookies or brownies, that worked for me  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:29:35 pm »
In my experience, yes, but then work is wiped the next day. . . ho hum - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
In my experience, yes, but then work is wiped the next day. . . ho hum - matt

PLEASE  ;D  I'm half-baked most of the time and love my pot-brownies from time to time  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »
I can't recall if it ever helped me with nausea, but it sure made me paranoid.

http://timehasshownme.com
10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »
I don't think it'd help with nausea associated with the stomach flu and that sounds lie what you might have.  It's going around en masse here.  I've had my young nephew for 2 days because of it.

My next comment with come as quite a shock for some, but I occasionally enjoy the benefits of some good cannabis.  A couple of years ago, my brother urged me to try it when I was deathly thin and didn't have an appetite.  Luckily, my mother accepts that it was medically warranted but does question why I need it before I go out sometimes.  Seriously though, it really helped with my desire to want to eat and alleviated some of the sensations of wanting to constantly purge everything I ate. 

I'm surprised Ann didn't throw out the moderation comment. :o

Wolfie (who still considers himself a moderate Republican in a room full of ungodly liberal Democrats.)

Of course I'm from Meigs County Ohio....home of the best gold around.  I had to google it and found this tasty tidbit.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/sep/02/pot-patrol-pulls-plants-prohibiting-pushers-profit-ar-718410/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:04:39 pm by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline jason1972

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:05:01 pm »
  This is one subject I can commit on!

After i became HIV+ and my 1st meds was impossiable for me to take.If it was not for pot brownies I am not sure i could not of done it!!A friend and i went into busseness growing and selling pot brownies to HIV+ and cancer patients and we found that about 5% of the people eating (not smoiking)did not help there nasusea.

I now dont live where it is legal but my friend has kept up his bussness we started in cali!!
We also found about 30% of people trying it for the 1st time just did not like the high they got from eating it they liked smoking it
My thinking on this eating is a much healther option but you got to find out for yourself which helps you better!

Offline Growler

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »
I don't think it'd help with nausea associated with the stomach flu and that sounds lie what you might have.  It's going around en masse here.  I've had my young nephew for 2 days because of it.

Of course! Whilst not stomach flu you're on the right track and I'm kicking myself, I should of thought of this before now. I assumed the sudden worsening of symptoms was just an exacerbation of an on going issue, but I started a 5 day course of oral clindamycin last week and the flare up occurred about day 3 of treatment....it has to have been clostridium related!

I'm happy to report that I'm back on solids; I lasted 2 days on the clear fluids before hunger got the better of me. Diarrhea is back but manageable with loperamide and currently no nausea (the nausea cycles on and off with no apparent trigger that I've been able to ascertain).

I've still trying to get some dope but it's proving more difficult than I initially thought; a laugh considering the number of regular substance users in my building. I could approach most people here and score but there's enough gossip about the resident faggot ..........."who's chucking up his guts? It's the faggot again, Probably got AIDS"

GROWLER

Offline Hoover

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 09:11:43 pm »
Jason, if you want the healthy option for ingesting pot use a vaporizor.
It heats the THC to the correct temperature without fire that causes smoke.
vaporstore.com  Also you use very little pot when using a vaporizor.

Growler, have you checked to see if you might have gall bladder issues?
Two days ago I was SICK and nauseated, the pot did not help.
Of course the doctors will say it is HIV or drug related, but after talking to two of my sisters I found out they had gall bladder issues that affected them the same way.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Illness can be something other than HIV related. If this keeps up with me, that gall bladder is going south in a plastic bag!

I hope you get feeling better since nausea is a level of hell all to its self.

Cheers,
Hoover
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline Growler

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:28:09 am »
Growler, have you checked to see if you might have gall bladder issues?
At this stage I'm not sure what I've been checked for, but rest assured I'm back in hospital on Monday for more fun and games with the doctors ao I'm sure they'll get this one sorted soon. In the mean-time you all get to listen to me bitch and moan....I pity you ;D

GROWLER

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:08 am »
I've still trying to get some dope but it's proving more difficult than I initially thought; a laugh considering the number of regular substance users in my building. I could approach most people here and score but there's enough gossip about the resident faggot ..........."who's chucking up his guts? It's the faggot again, Probably got AIDS"

GROWLER

Trust me on this, you don't want to buy from another fellow pothead unless he's a dealer.  They'll overcharge you every time and give you garbage.  But, I know the situation right now calls for desperation-- one of the best ways to find a pot smoker in Florida I found was to be observant at the cash register at the local corner store.  If they're buying blunts quickly follow them outside and ask them how you can score a dime bag.  Most weed smokers will know the desperation you feel and offer a lending hand. 

Quick question, are you on Atripla?  Everything you mention above reminds me of how I felt when I took it is the reason I am asking.  It just never agreed with me and in the beginning I figured it was just life with the virus and I had to suck it up.  After two years, and feeling like life was nothing but impending doom and nausea I switched meds.  I haven't had a bout of nausea since the switch where as before I was chucking up constantly.

You might be one of those strange rangers like me who just can't take it.....

In the mean time, try to get some herb.  It always made my stomach issues go away pon di toke mon..lol

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Growler

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 09:36:48 am »
I was started on Atripla (registered tm of Satan) due to the weight loss late last year, but had some "issues" with it and so stopped and I wont be starting any other ARV's anytime soon; So issues definitely not medication related.

The nausea is bad when it comes on but thankfully isn't a full-time issue, only sporadic. But when needed it'd be good to have the option of a working antiemetic (assuming the dope works for me). I guess I need to bite the bullet and start hanging around the local pubs, usually the best place in oz to score the green if the number of times I've been approached in them to buy in the past is any indication (unfortunately I was such a good and polite boy back then I always said no, thanks....LOL  :D).

BTW whats a blunt?

GROWLER

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:07 am »
These

cleaned out

and turned into this

or even this once you go pro

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 09:57:49 am »

Could it be something you picked up preparing your vittles in that sanitary kitchen the tenements share?

Offline Growler

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 10:10:16 am »

Could it be something you picked up preparing your vittles in that sanitary kitchen the tenements share?
Entirely possible, although since someone smashed all the knobs on the cooktops about 2 months ago, there's not much in the way of cooking going on in that kitchen now (you need to carry pliers to turn on the gas burners and it's hit or miss which ones still work)
So yes, I've squatted over specimen jars, submitted them for analysis and should have the results when I go terrorize the ID team next week.

PS: the blunts look like a very civilized way to do the green, although I've always been partial to a smooth cuban

GROWLER

Offline SANJUANDUDE

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 01:37:18 pm »
Growler, can you elaborate on your situation...???  I don't get it!!!  Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't find it surfing around.  It sounds like you are having issues with your meds and some stomach problems.  Your living arrangement?

10/2011-CD-4-598-Undetectable
01/2012-CD-4-758-Undetectable
04/2012-CD$-780-70 Viral Load
08-2012-CD4-846--20 viral load
02/2013-CD$ 865----20 Undetectable Viral Load
08/2013- CD4-898----<20 undetectable viral load

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 02:18:46 pm »
Dayummm Thomas, that last pic is the biggest fattest blunt I've ever seen  :P

Offline Growler

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 06:55:42 pm »
Growler, can you elaborate on your situation...???  I don't get it!!!  Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't find it surfing around.  It sounds like you are having issues with your meds and some stomach problems.  Your living arrangement?

It's complicated but I'll live to bitch about it another day, let's leave it at that.

GROWLER

Offline Growler

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 03:42:33 am »
Nausea and cramping came back yesterday. Got desperate so approached I approached Mary the Christian Vampire and scored a $10  bag of dope from her..
long story short,  did Jack shit for the nausea but it did make for a fun night;)

GROWLER

Offline Roie

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 03:57:29 pm »
This topic might be old, but it definitely helps me with my weight gain and nausea.
But I have another problem and that it increases my anxiety and often makes me feel worse, so I stopped taking weed. I prefer to be thinner then anxious.
The reason that I was granted a medical license is because of my rapid weight loss in the past few months and it has definitely helped me gain back weight to my usual self  which is 63 kg. ( I lost 8 - 9 kg.)
I live in Israel, and I have a medical licence for 20 grams a month, I get my 20 grams from the certified dispenser of the  ministry of health. I get it in cookies and hash oil.
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.