Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:08:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 215
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Micturition  (Read 19463 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Micturition
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
OK, I am totally ignorant -- I've managed to live 54+ years, and see a gazillion doctors and medical professionals over the past 25 years, but somehow, during all of that, I completely MISSED the term "micturition" (another word for urination).

I saw the urologist Monday.   This appointment kept getting 'bumped out' further and further, but it finally rolled around.  I had waited to see this doctor because I felt the other doctor I had seen previously at UAB was a bit on the homophobic side...(and others in my clinic felt the same way, according to my primary).   The doctor I saw Monday is an Egyptian, and totally NO-NONSENSE.  He walked in the door speaking a mile a minute, and I caught maybe every other word.....

My reason for going is that I have problems peeing.  I have practically NO 'power' behind the stream, no force....I go frequently, and have difficulty starting....then, I am never quite sure when I'm "done" (lots of spotted underwear).   OK, I know this may be T.M.I.  I take two medications, Proscar and Flomax to help with this.  Anyway, my primary referred me to see if I was a canditate for a TURP procedure (trans-urethral resection of the prostate, sort of a 'roto-rooter' thing).   As I said, he spoke very fast, and with his accent and my 'country ears' I was glad I had my partner in the room to help me translate and interpret what he was saying.  At one point, he left the room, said "let me go check on something" and stayed gone for the longest time.  He came back in, stated "well, since you seem to be averse to the idea of surgery (and where did he get this notion?   Not quite sure) I am going to refer you to my colleague for a possible TUMT procedure (trans-urethral microwave thermotherapy) and preceeded to refer me BACK to the homophobe.  >:(

So next week I am going to have micturition studies (I guess someone is going to watch me pee into a funnel) and then we'll go from there.....
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bear60

Re: Micturition
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »
Good luck Alan. 
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »
Wow, that's a pisser.

(Sorry Alan, I couldn't resist.)

I have never heard of this test before, nor the term micturition.

I have, however, worked with Egyptian doctors. They have been very nice, but I often wonder if they don't all live on speed or something.

Let us know how it all comes out.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »
Let us know how it all comes out.

good luck , nuff said .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:18:47 pm »
The micturition test is part of a "Urodynamic Study".   I think that's the whole problem -- my uro is not very dynamic!

The brochure mentions something about electrodes in the urethra and rectum....sounds kinky, doesn't it?

;D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline edfu

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:48:54 pm »
This is a very common problem for "elderly" gents, but it usually doesn't hit until one's sixties.  (It really shouldn't have anything to do with HIV.)  The prostate swells and constricts the flow.  I've also been on Flomax and Proscar, and they did absolutely nothing for the problem, and I quit them.   You also probably wake up several times a night to pee, right?  And hardly anything comes out?  One of the many great frustrations of becoming a "senior citizen" is having the strong urge to pee, and nothing happens but two drops, if that.  This becomes so common it becomes somehow easier to sit on the toilet and struggle rather than to assume the usual male standing-up pee posture and waiting and waiting.     

I've never heard of TURP and TUMT, so keep us posted.  You have my sympathy. 

I assume you have had the standard prostate exams, which is essential. 

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:43:01 am »
Good God, Alan.  I've never heard of "micturition" either.  I hope the tests aren't too uncomfortable for you, and that they get the problem figured out.  Sorry you have to go back to see that homophobe.  I hope he treats you better. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
Here's another one, that never heard of Micturition. During my 8 hours or so of sleep, I get up probably about 3-4 times to urinate. There always long and good streams.

When I started on meds in 2003,  I was urinating every 30 minutes or less. I still don't know what that was all about,  But whenever I drank something,  It came back out within 10 minutes.

I think I was driving Ed crazy with this for a while. Lasted for a few weeks. Had to pull off to a gas station every 20 minutes or so( when on the road) back then, just to pee.  But, I'm glad that problem stopped.

Good luck Alan-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »
My test was today; it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but was not something I'd like to do again anytime soon....

First, I had to pee into a thing that looked like a funnel, some kind of flow meter I suppose; it made a printout that looked almost like an EKG strip.  Then, the fun stuff...they inserted a catheter, this thing that was sort of like a small balloon into my rectum, and some electrodes around 'that area'....(sounds like some kind of kinky sex stuff, doesn't it?)   They filled me up with a contrast solution, taking xrays (or some type of image) the whole time....

I seem to be fine afterwards, just a slight burning and irritation in the urethra, and I'm peeing a lot.  No blood or anything though, so that's good.

Will know the 'results' of my test later in the month.

Offline deibster

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 08:37:51 pm »
Hi Alan, I hope you get the help you need with your problem.

GENTLEMEN: I was on Flomax for years. It worked but a few years ago my insurance didn't want to pay for it. I was put on a generic, Doxazosin. It works Better than the Flomax & is much cheaper. I'm still on the weakest tablet of this medicine so, presumably, it can be increased if that becomes necessary. You might want to talk to your doc about trying it. Hugs from Provincetown Deiby
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 04:14:38 am »
Good luck with the results Alan
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 02:40:10 am »
Sweet Alan,
I feel your pain. I had similar problems. After 4 consecutive refills of cipro, it got a little better. Good luck with this.
Be patient. And I also had never heard of Micturition. 54 years as well.!!
Love and hugs to you.
jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 01:16:05 pm »
Results of my tests are in:  my bladder is in good shape, no muscular problems with it; the problem lies in the urethral sphincter or urethra itself.

I have some choices:   
1) do nothing, and continue to take the meds and live with my situation

2) have an 'in-office' procedure, where they insert a catheter that heats with microwaves; not suggested by my urologist, as its effectiveness is only for about 5 years, then you have to do something else.

3) full scale TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate)   This is the 'roto-rooter' surgery, a bloody thing that has potential for infection and lots of side effects.

4) a laser-type of TURP (no blade) which he referred to as a TURBVP, but I cannot find ANYTHING about that exact name on the net;  there is a TURPVP, which is a laser procedure.     
This is probably what I will go with, but there is no urgency; it is strictly elective surgery, and can be done at any time.   I would be in the hospital overnight, or perhaps 2 nights (which surprises me; I just assumed this would be out-patient) and wear a catheter for a few days, with about a week of "down time".

The joys of getting old...... ;)

PS  this is going to cause 'retrograde ejaculation'.   look that one up.   I'm not happy about it.....

Offline Theyer

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:37 am »
oh Alan, lots off wincing going on here , wishing you well.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 05:09:26 pm »
Alan, I didn't look up "retrograde ejaculation" (sounds too scarey), but none of this sounds like any fun at all.  Wishing you recovery, and no pain. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »
Alan, I didn't look up "retrograde ejaculation" (sounds too scarey), but none of this sounds like any fun at all.  Wishing you recovery, and no pain. :-*

Its nothing too scary Betty , just means you get to save a Kleenex for another job .   ;)

I have had some of the same problems Alan is describing and have made the choice to do nothing for the time being . My symptoms seem to come and go ... and I swear this is not an attempt at a weak pun . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 10:13:37 pm »
Hey Alan,

The roto-rooter thing just sounds nasty. The rest isn't exactly making me want to sign up. I wince at the thought of a catheter.

I hope things work out OK, but were I you, I think I would put off the roto-rooter till I had to have it done.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Theyer

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:34 am »

The roto-rooter thing just sounds nasty. The rest isn't exactly making me want to sign up. I wince at the thought of a catheter.

OH so do I
Lost count off the junior Doctors who turn up at the bed side with all the gubins,I have always Questioned them very closely and the end decision has always been that it was not crucial. You see its a teaching hos and there are gangs off Junior Docs roaming the wards looking to practice such procedures, Only when my consultant insists it is crucial are they putting that up me.
theyer

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »
I had a cystoscopy last Friday.   As it turns out, I am a 'good' candidate for the microwave procedure, and this is what I have decided to do.  It is "in-office" surgery, and I will wear a catheter for 3 days.   I just hope they can do it this calendar year (insurance and charity care, and stuff).   There is a chance of retro-grade ejaculation with this procedure, but not nearly as much as with the laser or blade TURP.

Aging with HIV :   hard to do it 'gracefully' sometimes, isn't it?  They keep saying "but you are so YOUNG to be having to have this done..."   uh, yes, but I've had a zillion health issues over the past 25 years, urethral infections, bladder infections, kidney function problems....

We just have to face it:  this shit AGES the hell out of you, like it or not.

Old Hugs, Alan   ;)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:44 pm »
Good luck with the surgery and I hope you get some relief soon.

Hugs & Stuff,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline aztecan

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 01:45:48 am »
Aging with HIV :   hard to do it 'gracefully' sometimes, isn't it?  They keep saying "but you are so YOUNG to be having to have this done..."   uh, yes, but I've had a zillion health issues over the past 25 years, urethral infections, bladder infections, kidney function problems....

We just have to face it:  this shit AGES the hell out of you, like it or not.

Old Hugs, Alan   ;)

Alan hon, you said a mouthful.

Let us know when you have the procedure.

OLD BUT STILL VITAL HUGS,

Mark

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 11:06:27 am »
I am FINALLY having this procedure done tomorrow, Feb 3rd.   It has been a struggle for me to get it lined up....had to go through a lot of bureaucratic bullshit.
I had the cystoscope on Nov 18th and we decided to do the procedure....doctor said "we'll call you to schedule it".  They never called.   So I started calling in December...spoke to the office manager, Gail.  She had it all arranged, and was very nice in working with me.   Then, I stopped hearing from her after the holidays...I called and asked for her, and they said "Gail retired during Christmas".  She left and didn't pass along my info to anyone.   So I was back to square one.
The doctor's secretary said she would schedule it...then, we went through the same thing...never called back.   I started hounding her, and she ignored me.  So I went online, looked up the UAB directory, got the Dr's email address, and wrote an email directly to the doctor telling him all of this mess.  He called me THAT DAY, and my procedure was scheduled immediately.
   This is something I have dealt with over the years, working with so many different doctors....sometimes, their staff people are either incompetent, or careless, or just don't follow through....and you have to advocate for yourself or nothing would ever get done.   I intend to tell him tomorrow that not only did I feel like I "fell through the cracks", but that I was SHOVED through them.
   Will report back and let you know how it all works out.

HUGS, Alan

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 11:34:16 am »

This is something I have dealt with over the years, working with so many different doctors....sometimes, their staff people are either incompetent, or careless, or just don't follow through....and you have to advocate for yourself or nothing would ever get done.

Unfortunately yes, it can happen. I always call it "talking to dead people" :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 11:51:07 am »
Dayumm Alan all that bureaucratic bullshit you had to go thur sounds like the University Of New Mexico Hospitals here in ABQ, I swear them dam fuckers
forget EVERYTHING, and never follow thur on anything, it's horrible, I feel ya
Alan.........good luck w/ all that  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Theyer

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »
Hope everything goes well on the 3rd Alan , and I recognise the bureaucratic run around It can leave me feeling very very Stalinist.
Anyway hope all is calm tomorrow
m

Offline aztecan

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 07:24:25 pm »
Hey Alan,

Lots of helping and healing energy heading your way.

Sorry about the bureaucratic bullshit you have had to go theough. It can be very frustrating.

(((HUGS)))

Mark

Offline deibster

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 07:57:35 pm »
Alan, sending prayers & good wishes your way !
  Hugs Deiby  :)
Poz since Dec 1992. Meds since 1995. Disability since 2005. Constantly fighting the Lipodystrophy 'beer gut.'

Prezista/Norvir, Epzicom, Cytomel, Prevacid, Coumadin, pravastatin, Fenofibrate, Remeron, Zoloft, Concerta, Flomax, Allegra180, Nasacort, Centrum, Flax Oil, Fish Oil

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 02:27:20 pm »
Thanks guys.   The procedure was yesterday; I am recuperating at home now, with a catheter in until Monday.   They did it with local anesthetic (injected into the prostate) and a shot of 50 mg demarol/ 25 mg phenergan.   It was extremely painful, and I'm glad it's over.   I hope this will help.

HUGS, Alan

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 03:53:59 pm »
Glad to hear that you're on the mend, Alan!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »
Hugs, Alan.  Lets hope the recovery is speedy.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 07:24:35 am »
Lord Alan, what you went through gave me shivers.  I hope it all turns out well for you. :-*

Offline Theyer

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »
Hope the pain is gone
take care
m

Offline aztecan

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »
Hey Alan,

Glad you are through with that and on the mend.

It sounded dreadful.

BIG HUGS,

Mark

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 03:28:53 pm »
Hi Everyone

I am recovering nicely from this.  Everything is still 'swollen', but not painful.  Also, the dreaded 'retrograde ejaculation' did not happen!  So I'm glad about that.

Hopefully, this procedure will help with all the problems I've had. 

HUGS,
Alan   ;D

Offline Theyer

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 03:47:57 pm »
You are a brave brave man, Alan.
shudders
m

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.