Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:38:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 193
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested positive less than 2 weeks ago but been more than 3 years since I've had  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Shayne504

Just got my initial results on 4/10, confirmatory a week later. My main concern is I've obviously been Poz a few years now with no treatment. About a year ago had skin cancer diagnosis with surgery and then this January again. My surgeon expressed concern that it was abnormal for the type of cancer I had to be so aggressive in someone w/o a depressed immune system. So I got tested and came back positive.

Luckily I thought ahead to bring a friend with me who has been a great help, he's been positive 26 years. I've lately been having some seemingly "minor" health issues but don't have my initial blood work scheduled for 2 weeks and I understand it takes about a month for those to come back. I plan on telling my primary care Dr about my status but not sure if I should wait till the rest of my test results come back.

So far emotionally I've been stable but know at some point I might have issues. I've been clean and sober for awhile and moved towards acceptance since my results came back.

I know they can't recommend meds without the test results but I feel like I'm wasting valuable time till they come back. ???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Hi Shayne, welcome to the forums.

It would be unusual for it to take four weeks for your blood results to come back. Normally the CD4 counts (one of the important levels they'll look at) only take a couple days. The viral load (VL) result is the one that can take a little longer, but these results normally only take up to two weeks maximum, and often will be back sooner.

More likely than not, if your CD4s come back at extremely low levels (under 200), your doctor will get in touch with you as soon as these results come back, regardless of whether or not your VL result is back at that time.

Make sure you communicate your anxiety over this to your doctor, and see if you can't get him to agree/promise to keep a watch out for your CD4 results. He will probably already be doing this, but it may help to hear him reassure you that this is the case.

And remember, if you don't hear back sooner, no news is good news. In my experience, as soon as any red flags are raised in a person's blood work, they're on the phone arranging an appointment asap.

In the meantime, don't be worrying that you're suddenly going to drop dead. You're not.

If you haven't already, you may want to read through some of the Lessons available on this website. Of particular interest to you right now would be the Lesson The Blood Tests You'll Need. (BTW, CD4=T-cell.)

Something that may be helpful for you to realise and understand - not everything that goes on with your body will have a direct relation to being poz. The "aggressive" nature of your skin cancer is possibly one of them. Sometimes things like that can simply be down to an individual's genetic make-up.

Similarly, not every cold, sniffle, sore throat, ache or pain or other "minor" health issues are going to have anything to do with hiv. We get all the usual suspects regarding aliments just like our hiv negative counterparts. It's good to keep that in mind going forward.

You should get yourself a small notebook (pocket sized) to keep with you to write down any questions you may have for your doctor. Leave a space after each question where you can write down the answer - even if it's only a few words to jog your memory.

It's all too easy to forget questions you want to ask, and even easier to forget what the answer was once you walk out the office door. I've been attending hiv clinic appointments for years now and I still do this - it's been invaluable over the years.

Try to not sweat things too much while you wait for your appointment. All you really need to do at this point is eat healthily, and get plenty of rest and exercise. Engage in activities you enjoy and keep on living your life. You've got the ball rolling and that's what's important.

You're going to be ok.

Ann

PS - it is totally possible that your appointment in two weeks time is to discuss the results of your blood work, not to draw more blood for the tests. I say this because normally, when the confirmatory tests are run and the result is poz, there will be enough blood left over to at least run a CD4 count, if not also a VL test. This is standard practice in most places.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Shayne504

Thanks Ann

The appointment in 2 weeks will be the first time the draw blood. The confirmatory test was another oral swab that I had to hold in place for 3 minutes.

My concerns about health issues popping up now are because it has been 3-1/2 years since I've had sex with any one (except my left hand that is 😜)

I was making efforts to eat better and exercise before I got my results, now I just have more incentive to follow through on my plans. There is that old saying about plans: You want to make God laugh? Make Plans! 😉

Offline pittman

Another expected test when you are first diagnosed is a test to determine if the strain of virus you have exhibits any resistance to drugs. That way the doctor can make sure to proscribe the right combination for you. If I recall, that test may take a bit longer, and hence the time frame.

Offline Shayne504

Thanks for the note Pittman, I came back with no drug resistance so, that was a good thing. I've since started on Truvada and Isentress so we will see!

Shayne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.