Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:28:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 627
Total: 629

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla and loss of libido  (Read 12329 times)

Offline hadasinparis

Atripla and loss of libido
« on: March 28, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »
Hello

I have been taking Atripla since march the 10 and it was my first meds since being infected in 2003...I have noticed that my libido is down , difficult erection ,so I m wondering if Atripla can cause it..

thanks

Dec 2 2010 cd4 390 vl 90 18%
started  atripla march the 10

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Atripla and loss of libido
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:22:04 am »
Hmm there are actually several threads purporting quite the opposite effect in men.  My sex drive is beginning to kick into overdrive me personally, but I'm thinking that might be because of the warmer weather. 

PS: Do you have a picture and stats?  Also how far are you from Natchez, MS?
PPS: Disregard those questions I was only kidding, unless you're amazingly hot.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:41:13 am »
Have you had your levels of testosterone checked?

As Hellraiser mentions, usually it's the opposite, men have reported an increase in libido with Atripla:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=31288.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:05:58 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline sreamer17ydr

• Organic Eater!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:34 am »
I been on Atripla one month and my sex drive is the same, and actually it increased the semen ejaculation in me, i never had alot, but now i shoot all over lol.
07/01/09: Tested Poz
08/19/09:20,653           CD4: 566
11/10/09:57,673           CD4: 623
12/13/09:60,000           CD4: 400
02/1/10: 67,000            CD4: 600
02/16/10: Started Atripla
03/29/10: Undetectable, CD4:720
10/27/10: Undetectable, CD4:620
04/20/11: Undetectable, CD4: 816
09/21/11: Undetectable, CD4: 823
04/28/14: Undetectable: CD4: 849 :51%
10/27/14: Undetectable, CD4: 654 :51%
04/01/15: Undetectable, CD4: 623 :43%
11/09/15: Undetectable  CD4  757 :45.9
01/22/16: Started Genvoya
04/08/16: Undetectable, CD4:860: 46.9%
05/03/17: Undetectable, CD4: 659 44.5%
11/01/17: Undetectable, CD4: 509 45.7%
03/01/18: Started Biktarvy
05/02/18: Undetectable CD4: 544 47.1%
11/26/18: ?

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52:32 pm »
I am having the exact opposite problem!

Jeff

Offline kev72

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:10:51 pm »
I'm glad you posted this question. I have been wondering the same thing. I have been having trouble keeping it up (to be blunt) and it is driving me crazy LOL. I do however feel better overall since I started the Atripla a few weeks ago so my interest in sex has increased, Go figure. Talk about frustration...

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 03:18:44 pm »
Several people here blame their morning wood on Atripla, so I guess the opposite applies (at least from a statistical point).
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline hadasinparis

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »
Hello

May because  I m away from that young man I m very attracted too and I gonna marry ..The whole thing might be psycho...sementic

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 05:53:56 pm »
If you are having morning wood... then all the equipment is in working order! I'd have my testosterone level checked if your having erection problems...

Offline kev72

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
If you are having morning wood... then all the equipment is in working order! I'd have my testosterone level checked if your having erection problems...

Funny you mention testosterone level. My doctor placed me on Androgel because my level low at 300. He thought that could be causing loss of libido. I have been on it for 3 months and my blood work indicates my level suddenly jumped to >1500. Even at this level, as I mentioned above, I still have trouble keeping it up. Go figure. Perhaps a side effect from Atripla, or a side effect of high test. Who knows. Maybe the jump in testosterone after starting Atripla may be related, but Ill save that for a new thread. My point is they say HIV can lower testosterone, maybe Atripla helps bring it back somehow..

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 07:47:47 pm »
its the reverse usually. Maybe its an your emotional adjustment to going on HAART.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »
Funny you mention testosterone level. My doctor placed me on Androgel because my level low at 300. He thought that could be causing loss of libido. I have been on it for 3 months and my blood work indicates my level suddenly jumped to >1500. Even at this level, as I mentioned above, I still have trouble keeping it up. Go figure. Perhaps a side effect from Atripla, or a side effect of high test. Who knows. Maybe the jump in testosterone after starting Atripla may be related, but Ill save that for a new thread. My point is they say HIV can lower testosterone, maybe Atripla helps bring it back somehow..

Have you cut down on the androgel? It's not good to have high testosterone.

Offline kev72

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25:21 pm »
Have you cut down on the androgel? It's not good to have high testosterone.

Yes, I actually stopped the gel until I can get to the dr. for whatever its worth, a lot of side effects I thought were being from the Atripla are actually caused by very high testosterone levels. I am happy about that.

Sorry to interupped the original thread.

Offline mattdude

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:26 am »
Yes, I'd have to say I'm the opposite. I'm nearly 4 weeks on Atripla, and I can seem to keep my hands off myself. It's like an itch that just won't scratch!

Offline northrock

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:38 am »
I'm having a similar issue!  I have zero desire and can't even get an erection and it's really beginning to take a toll on my mind!  I've been positive now for about 1 year and been on Atripla for 9 months.  Is it the trauma of being infected and not ready to deal with this issue of the disease or is it possibly the meds?  Any advice please would be appreciated.
New guy to this disease!

Offline kev72

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 11:48:22 am »
I'm having a similar issue!  I have zero desire and can't even get an erection and it's really beginning to take a toll on my mind!  I've been positive now for about 1 year and been on Atripla for 9 months.  Is it the trauma of being infected and not ready to deal with this issue of the disease or is it possibly the meds?  Any advice please would be appreciated.

Hello Wharch,

I understand where you are coming from. As I posted earlier, I recently started taking Atripla and have noticed that my desire has come back, but physically I am having trouble keeping it up LOL. Not sure if it's the Virus, Atripla, or other meds one may be taking. Hopefully people will continue to post.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 04:24:07 pm »
Erections are the combined result of complex vascular, neural, hormonal and psychological factors. If any one of the factors are removed you'll be unable to perform.

I think in your case there's a good chance it's psychological (especially if your having spontaneaous erections such as morning wood.) You jsut started meds, your lover is away, and no telling what else is weighing in on your subconsciousness, etc..

I wouldnt panic as that will only make things worse if you dwell on it. If it still persists after things settle down then you might consider seeing a doc.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:26 am »
Interesting - what I've experienced is that I have increased desire & can still get hard, but the erection goes away pretty quick if I don't use it soon enough (no delay time!!)...
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline hadasinparis

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:35 pm »
Hi willi

Thanks ..I do think also it s psycho..I do better now...Now I m stressed up since my sweet heart with only 31 yrs old also poz ,has anal problems...So the emergency doc in hopital St Antoine in Paris took sample to check for gono or clamy...My friend spoke of possibility of anal cancer...I freaked out!! I love him so much....so much..

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 08:06:37 pm »
Hi willi

Thanks ..I do think also it s psycho..I do better now...Now I m stressed up since my sweet heart with only 31 yrs old also poz ,has anal problems...So the emergency doc in hopital St Antoine in Paris took sample to check for gono or clamy...My friend spoke of possibility of anal cancer...I freaked out!! I love him so much....so much..

I know you love him very much, I can tell this.

Now go run yourself a nice bubble bath with candles and a glass of wine and relax. Youll get through this, and soon the boners will return :)

I wish you and your sweetie good luck.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.