Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 10:11:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773502
  • Total Topics: 66376
  • Online Today: 430
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 384
Total: 384

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Indiana...Now Not Serving Sense With Anti-Gay Law...  (Read 16953 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Indiana...Now Not Serving Sense With Anti-Gay Law...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:36:12 am »
I can't wait to see the flood of lawsuits from all kinds of people who claim their religious rights are being violated.  This could really open a can of worms that they didn't intend to open.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:16:24 pm »
It's the worst kind of prejudice & hate disguised in old white-haired bitter old white men who apparently have major penis issues because they constantly seem to obsess over how lgbt people are somehow infringing on their freedoms. It's not just discriminatory, it's psychotic.

How exactly are they going to enforce this? Are they going to refuse service to someone because they "look gay" I mean how stupid can Indiana be? If someone dared to refuse me service in a public business on the grounds of them claiming they can't serve a gay person, I'd slap a lawsuit on them so fast & call the news outlets & ACLU so fast their head would spin.

Let's call this what it is, it's an attempt at a repeat of Jim Crow laws in another awful, not-so disguised suit.

I happen to be a spiritual person and fervently believe in God but I am openly gay also & believe we should love everyone regardless of any superficial things like sexual orientation or skin color. It's just dumb & has to stop.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 08:40:27 pm »
I can't wait to see the flood of lawsuits from all kinds of people who claim their religious rights are being violated.  This could really open a can of worms that they didn't intend to open.

Me too. What saddens me most is that we have to deal with this garbage that was dealt with decades ago in a way. The older I get the more discouraged I feel about how slow the process takes for many to remember the past and move forward.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 12:54:36 am »
I have been surprised how much backlash this has brought.  I've been surprised at the number of FB friends, who never weighed in on marriage equality or gay rights before, who are now posting they are against this law.

There are a few, who believe gays and the media are making too much of this.  They say Clinton signed a religious freedom law in 1993, which was sponsored by Sen. schumer.  When I read that law, it seems that was mostly about protecting the religious rituals of Native Americans.  It was struck down by SCOTUS on the state level, but remains in effect for federal. 

In fact, the majority of justices used it in the Hobby Lobby case.  From what I understand, Scalia back then ruled against Native Americans, but used the law to rule in favor of Hobby Lobby.  A few also talk about how 19 other states have this law.  I'm not sure what those laws say, but we had many laws that we are ashamed of now and have been struck down.  Clinton signed DOMA, but we've moved forward since then. 

These few also ask why gays would sue a photographer, for not wanting to take their wedding photos.  They ask whether a Jewish person should be forced to print materials for pro-Nazi groups.  Of course, that would be printing something for a hate group. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 01:07:31 pm »
Me too. What saddens me most is that we have to deal with this garbage that was dealt with decades ago in a way. The older I get the more discouraged I feel about how slow the process takes for many to remember the past and move forward.

Mark,

Sadly, your comments are true, but we are not done fighting the battles of history.  I see laws like this to be equal to voter id laws and others, because it's a generation of Americans, who are seeing their power diluted and fear losing the privilege they have always had.  Not so long ago, we could be killed for being gay in many parts of America.  White was the color of most Americans, until it wasn't.  Their country is being overrun by non-whites, heathen gays, women who insist on making their own choices and on and on.

They know that gay marriage is coming, nation wide, so now is the time to lay the foundations for the battles yet to be fought.  The fact that any religion has influence in the public realm simply appalls me.  The issues we face, from the simple fact that millions of Americans think they are better than all the rest, simply because of their religion is an issue that America will continue to litigate as her face becomes multi-colored.

Some people see most change as bad, for whatever reason.  All we can do is remain vigilant, great change takes time and many folks simply need to be dragged into the present, no matter how much they miss "how it used to be."

Joe

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »
Maybe those privately held businesses that wish to discriminate against certain minorities should post in their shop window, and on the door, a list of the offending minorities who will not be served.
Also civil rights groups, and maybe the D.A., should regularly survey business and post on the Internet and in newspapers lists of discriminating businesses.
A few discriminating businesses might benefit but I'd wager a lot would lose business and close, or change their practice.
People who want to live in the past and persecute in the name of religion should be labeled as such.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:22:09 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 02:08:45 pm »
...A few also talk about how 19 other states have this law.  I'm not sure what those laws say, but we had many laws that we are ashamed of now and have been struck down.  Clinton signed DOMA, but we've moved forward since then...

Link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2015/03/27/19-states-that-have-religious-freedom-laws-like-indianas-that-no-one-is-boycotting/

Still pitiful backward crap. Discrimination against Gays trying to use a different tact. Hope this train of terrible thought and travesty gets halted.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:28:43 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 06:43:42 pm »
Mark,

Sadly, your comments are true, but we are not done fighting the battles of history.  I see laws like this to be equal to voter id laws and others, because it's a generation of Americans, who are seeing their power diluted and fear losing the privilege they have always had.  Not so long ago, we could be killed for being gay in many parts of America.  White was the color of most Americans, until it wasn't.  Their country is being overrun by non-whites, heathen gays, women who insist on making their own choices and on and on.

They know that gay marriage is coming, nation wide, so now is the time to lay the foundations for the battles yet to be fought.  The fact that any religion has influence in the public realm simply appalls me.  The issues we face, from the simple fact that millions of Americans think they are better than all the rest, simply because of their religion is an issue that America will continue to litigate as her face becomes multi-colored.

Some people see most change as bad, for whatever reason.  All we can do is remain vigilant, great change takes time and many folks simply need to be dragged into the present, no matter how much they miss "how it used to be."

Joe

I couldn't agree with you more.

Even though I know it will take many generations for acceptance I still get frustrated at the pace and I guess that's a good thing.

Being gay was considered a mental disease here until 1977, the year I graduated from high school. Those who are my age or older remember this well and while this might not have bothered some, it did me from the age of about 10. I got over it quick and came out to myself by 1978.  8)

I know there has been much progress but it saddens me that 38 years later so much fear about nothing still exists. That fear that the religious right spews out is SO strong that it's tearing our country apart now in ways that I would not have even imagined just a few years back.

Yes, gay marriage will become the law of the land but these recent attempts to legalize bigotry make me want to vomit in my mouth.

Mints anyone?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 01:50:34 am »
I sent my aunt char a pm via fb asking her thoughts about their beloved state.  My mother's baby sister moved there for college and met the most sweet man and she remains in north of the Fort Wayne.

She says she hopes that people don't think the people are ignorant but rather a bad voting decision happened.  Indiana is pert near Ohio with the same attitudes.  Somehow, an idiot got into office and even conservatives are astonished.

But in a sense, this is a positive.  People took one instance of idiocy and ran with it.  RAH!!!   They might not be the worst and there are other states doing the same but this little non descript state got whooped for acting dumbly.  they shouldn't have played with the big boys of the biggoted bigwigs. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:52:53 am by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 06:17:11 am »
One of my friends drove to Indy Saturday to protest this horrible law.  I really believe Indiana should be a southern state (no offense to my southern friends).  Pence is even worse than Mitch Daniels was and he's really facing a huge backlash, which he should. 

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 10:53:51 am »
The mayors of Seattle and San Francisco have banned travel by city employees to Indiana and will cancel contracts done with the state.

What is the rest of the country doing?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/27/san-francisco-joins-planning-boycott-indiana/70531518/
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:00 pm »
Couldn't agree with everyone more,
what really scares me is the fact that these old , hateful
Bigots still are being elected into high governmental offices.

I still think it's because of the age group that has the highest voter turn out.
Most of the younger people don't bat an eye at having gay friend,
Or the basic rights we should have. Those are the ones missing in
the decision making.

I have stated this in another thread , young people need get involved
and most importantly get out and vote ! I know most can think of many excuses
why they don't have time, for a very , very few that might be true.
Fact is its laziness , most polls are located close to your house as possible.
Yes it is an inconvenience , but it always has been.

I just can't beleive the majority of a states population is that hateful and ignorant.
Their not , we're just not hearing from them ! Just hearing people compare gays to
Nazis is disturbing , and also tells that an age group and religion is running the show.

HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:36:11 pm »
Personally i do not follow US news much, however had a read and it seems somewhat ridiculous.

On the other hand perhaps the LGBT groups could their start your own "homosexual (LGBT) church and religion" then the LGBT views if writing into it's churches cannon law would be protected under religious rights , no ? lol.  If i believe Google it's apparently quite easy to start your own religion.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mitch777

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 05:03:18 pm »

And I got a real kick out of this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/indiana-pizzeria-tells-local-news-station-they-won%e2%80%99t-serve-same-sex-marriages/ar-AAajvps?ocid=mailsignout

[/Indiana Pizzeria Tells Local News Station They Won’t Serve Same-Sex Marriagesb]

As a result, look at the responses on the YELP website :   ;D

http://www.yelp.com/biz/memories-pizza-walkerton

Ray 8)

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 05:46:15 pm »

Ray 8)

If you want a good laugh, read the reviews.  Some of the finest gay-bitchy-witty-nasty writing I have ever seen.

Joe

Here's a sample:

I'm poor white trash who likes to ride that pony, and i wanted to have a sloppy, cock-gobblin', leather daddy wedding on a poor white trash budget. What's a fanny bandit to do?!?

Well, after checking out all the local gas station/Subway sandwich shops and the various vending machine options, I decided on Memories Pizza to cater the big gay day. I thought the name was cute with an ironic twist...Memories... with all the roofies I was gonna put in the jungle juice, no one was gonna have a memory of the night or why their butthole was so sore the next day!!

So anyyyywayyyy... I walk in to the pizza joint greeted by what I thought was a very pleasant looking pig, but was actually a disgusting human woman, and told her my man D'Shwan was gonna make me the happiest sh'manbride this side of Judy Garland's pharmacist's house!! Well!! After she finished talking to some person named Lord for a few minutes, she looked directly through my soul, levitated off the ground, spewed green vomitus from her face anus and threw my body out of her fine establishment!!

Needless to say, I came immediately. I will be back tomorrow with D'Shwan and a couple of our "playdates". I only gave one star because the bathroom didn't have a buttspray attachment for quick douching attached to the toilet in the handicap stall...like every good Christian business SHOULD have.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:06:25 pm by Joe K »

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »

And I got a real kick out of this:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/indiana-pizzeria-tells-local-news-station-they-won%e2%80%99t-serve-same-sex-marriages/ar-AAajvps?ocid=mailsignout

[/Indiana Pizzeria Tells Local News Station They Won’t Serve Same-Sex Marriagesb]

Ray 8)

;) ::)

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 08:02:14 pm »
Good one !
Hope that bible can shit 20 $ bills !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »

As a follow up ( just discovered this )

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/indiana-pizzeria-closes-over-backlash-from-owner%e2%80%99s-anti-gay-remarks-to-media/ar-AAakqnD?ocid=mailsignout

Indiana Pizzeria Closes Over Backlash From Owner’s Anti-Gay Remarks to Media

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2015, 08:11:20 pm »
 He ....Fuckin.....Haw.......!
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:59 pm »
Apparently this whole thing is Obama's fault, for creating the ACA.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/indianas-pence-looks-fix-blames-obamacare

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Q
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2015, 09:26:13 pm »
The USA is not a Christian country.
Women have the right to control their bodies and reproduction.
LGBTQs have civil rights like heteros, or should have.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:41 pm »
I Love Rachel  !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2015, 09:45:02 pm »
Where's Ted ?
He's our political go to !
Always up to date....your missed in this conversation !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:33 pm »
Where's Ted ?
He's our political go to !
Always up to date....your missed in this conversation !

Aww, thanks.  I did comment earlier.  I am just still shocked how much attention this has gotten.  I really did not expect it.  I thought gay rights groups would try to bring attention, but thought others would not care or quickly move on.  Pence, who is from the town in Indiana I grew up in and went to my high school, was surprised, too, I think.  My FB feed is full of posts about this-- local and national news posts to friends.  The friends really have made me proud.  I've had a few heterosexual friends discuss marriage equality, but most avoided it or didn't care.  I have been pleased how many never said anything before, but they post and continue to post about this.

It seems most (or at least a much higher percentage, than years passed) want to get all this discrimination behind us.  Even if they are still unsure about marriage, more and more don't want gays discriminated in work, housing, and public accommodations.  I have an uber-Christian conservative friend, who I disagree with on just about every issue.  He has made several posts how this is wrong and goes against his interpretation  of the teachings of Jesus. 

I think conservatives thought this could be the new wedge, since they are losing the marriage wedge.  Right now, it seems like that isn't going to fly as a wedge issue.  It will for their base, but not independents.

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:52:28 pm by tednlou2 »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »
As much as I hate laws like this, I think too many people are going after the wrong target.  Laws such as this, would have no teeth, if the federal government banned discrimination against GLBT citizens.  In the absence of federal recognition, many states have chosen to prohibit any discrimination against GLBT citizens, as a protected class.

Many states have also chosen to exclude any protections for those same citizens.

Gay marriage is like the GLBT-equality camel's nose in the tent.  Be assured, it is going to take a lot more will-power to pull the rest of it in.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:35:37 pm by Joe K »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 05:13:42 pm »

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 10:06:12 pm »

::)  ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.