Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:32:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 191
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Call for Activists  (Read 17067 times)

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
Call for Activists
« on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:36 pm »
Hi everyone,

Today, I'm announcing the soft launch of www.AIDSLawProject.net (ALP.net for short).

This is the project I've been working on for the past 6 months.  It is a non-profit corporation, to serve the HIV+ community, to educated HIV+ people about legal rights and duties, and to support activists who want to engage in reform of HIV-targeted laws.  The scope is global (because the virus knows no borders).

The first initiative is "It's a virus, not a crime," which was inspired by one of the presentations at the Mexico City conference (day 5, if you're curious).  Basically, we will be learning about different law-related approaches to preventing HIV transmission, some of which work, and some that don't, and why (or why not).  We will also work out strategies to change the laws that don't work, either in your own country or as part of the global community (bad laws affect us all).  We will accomplish this via webinars, live chats, download materials, and whatever else works. 

Later, I'll be offering classes on HIV-related travel and immigration restrictions, and US public benefits, and anything else people want to learn about.

This is a soft launch because I still need to test for bugs and smooth out the presentation (I have branding issues).  But I would like to get community feedback as I move forward.

So right now I'd like to invite everyone to register on the front-end, which will put you on my mailing list, so I can keep you updated on progress.

I will also be hosting blogs for anyone who wants one.  I'm using WordPress Multi-User, so here are very few limits to the number of bloggers the site can handle.  So anyone who would like to blog on the site, please let me know (email jrg[at]aidslawproject[dot]net - you get the idea, right?) and I will get you set up.  I'm not opening up blog registration to the general public (HIV+) until the end of September, but I need some bloggers earlier to help me shake down the software.  I'm more interested in enthusiasm than in writing skill (although both would be nice).

And finally, since ALP.net is a non-profit corporation, it will need a board of directors.  I will recruit board members from among the registered community, so please let me know if you night be interested in being one.

Thanks.

JR Gabbard, Esq.

It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Call for Activists
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:45:52 pm »
Congrats, JR, on the soft launch.  What a great project!

The world sorely needs more AIDS activists.  Bravo to you for taking this on.

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:04:29 pm »
Congrats, JR, on the soft launch.  What a great project!

The world sorely needs more AIDS activists.  Bravo to you for taking this on.

Thanks, brother.

Hopefully we can do some good!
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,

L. Cohen

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:04:38 am »
JR...I think your motto "It's a virus, not a crime" is terrific and really makes a very solid point that many folks world-wide need to hear....Great idea and I think it can be very effective and powerful.  Keep us posted.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:57:24 pm »
Hi Jody,

Thanks!  BTW, we can do Housing Rights too....
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,

L. Cohen

Offline guydude

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »
Hi Jody,

Thanks!  BTW, we can do Housing Rights too....

How about immigration?  This is a (perhaps) quickly-evolving area, with the recent repeal of the statutory ban on travel and immigration into the U.S. by HIV+ people, and the big question marks that still exist about the remaining REGULATORY ban. 

A lawyer like you, in your location, might have a lot to contribute in this area. 

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:53:18 pm »

How about immigration?  This is a (perhaps) quickly-evolving area, with the recent repeal of the statutory ban on travel and immigration into the U.S. by HIV+ people, and the big question marks that still exist about the remaining REGULATORY ban. 

A lawyer like you, in your location, might have a lot to contribute in this area. 

Immigration too.

I break the topics down like this: 

1.  Privacy and Confidentiality:  what are privacy rights, to whom do you have to disclose your status, when can you be compelled to take an HIV test, what information gets reported and by whom.....

2.  Employment and Discrimination:  what is, and what is not discrimination in the workplace or elsewhere, how to complain about discrimination....

3.  Insurance and Public Benefits:  why do I need to think about insurance, which insurance products do what, what public benefits are available, how do I access them.....

4.  Housing, Creditor and Family Law:  what is HOPWA, and how do I get it, what is housing discrimination and what do I do about it, how do I get these creditors off my back, how can I provide for my family if I get sick.....

5.  Immigration and Criminal:  in the context of travelling--interstate and international, where is HIV status a problem for entry into a country, what are the other restrictions on travel, what particular acts (sexual or otherwise) will get you into trouble and where....

These topics will each get a set of wiki pages with talk pages where anyone can post questions, experiences and observations. 
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,

L. Cohen

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 05:15:48 pm »
OUT-FREAKING-STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:26:55 am »
Hey Jr,

Great seeing you the other day.. and great project!

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Figaro

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 08:57:57 pm »
Given that may state, and municipal laws may be promoting HIV, I think this is a great idea that need to be supported.  Because most of this issues are legal.

There got to be quite a bit of attorneys with HIV/AIDS nation and worldwide and we can not let this happen any more.

The government is becoming apathetic.

HOW ABOUT STATE AND LOCAL LAWS THAT ARE KEEPING ORGANIZATION FROM STARTING SYRINGE PROGRAMS?????  WE KNOW IT WORKS A LOT BETTER THAN WE EXPECTED THEM TO WORKAND THE GOVERMENT IS KEEPING THIER HANDS CROSS.  OUTRAGE.  Don't be part of the curtain of silence nor the conpiracy of censorship.  It is not good for any of us.

WE ARE EVEN LEARNING THAT SOME PARTICIPANTS ARE ASKING FOR DRUG TREATMENT METHADONE AND SUBOXONE BEING THE MOST REQUESTED.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:30:12 pm by Figaro »

Offline dplush

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:51 pm »
this is great news. what a wonderful idea!

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 11:26:27 am »
I just want to add that I have JR's site on my bookmarks and he has done an increadible job, lot's of info and resourses.
Way to to JR...be proud of what you've done!!!
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline knoxvillecwby

• Hiv Advocate group for East Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 12:22:49 pm »
Great Idea and the website is fantastic. I was more than happy to register.
Make friends with Hiv and learn to laugh at it.

Cowboy Larry

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.