Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:20:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nobody's perfect!  (Read 3374 times)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
Nobody's perfect!
« on: September 12, 2006, 04:08:37 pm »
In the light of my recent post in Tim’s thread about the AMGs, where I voiced my views on excessive drinking, I want to share something with you all.

Something happened to me last night that really made me stop dead in my tracks and think very carefully about how some issues are not so black and white.

Last night I realised that unless you have walked a mile in someone else’s shoes (metaphorically speaking of course!), you will never really understand how that person feels or what they are thinking. It doesn’t even matter if you share a common denominator – be it hiv or whatever – everyone’s experience of living with it is unique to them.

In my post in Tim’s thread I was thinking something on the lines of drunkenness is no excuse for inappropriate behaviour, although I didn’t actually say that.

Well, after what happened to me last night, I am here to say: I partly take back what I was thinking. I say ‘partly’ because although I still don’t think drunkenness in any way excuses inappropriate behaviour, I realise that it often gives cause/reason for such behaviour. And very often the person abusing alcohol is in much emotional pain.

And no, I’m not about to tell you I was drunk last night! :P

Actually, what happened was this:

In the spirit of my recent decisions to be open about my status with potential friends, last night I made a phone call to a girl I knew, who moved from here to the mainland late last year. She is a lovely girl, who I viewed as a potential friend after I first moved here. We started spending time together. But I didn’t disclose to her – although I wanted to, I just wasn’t ready to. Or so I thought…

As we got closer I started worrying that if she found out she might not want to be friends anymore and I would end up crushed. So, as many of you probably can empathise, I pre-empted any possible bad outcome by backing off and quietly dissolving the friendship…yes, I know now…DUH!

Anyway, because of my recent decisions/actions, last night I decided to call her to explain why I’d behaved the way I did all that time ago…

As I started easing into the explanation with “I want to explain why I backed off from our friendship last year. I have something to tell you. It’s something to do with my health…”, she stopped me in my tracks.

It turns out I had already told her!

One night we had been drinking wine at her house and talking until the early hours and, apparently I had told her then. BUT I DON’T REMEMBER AT ALL! ???

As a general rule, I haven't drank alcohol for about 3 years now; I certainly haven’t binge drank (check verb conjugation?). Needless to say, nowadays if I drink more than one glass, I’m done for! Well, it would seem that I drank more than one glass that night!

I couldn’t believe it; for want of another word, I was gob smacked! I cannot believe I did something as HUGE as that and didn’t remember the next day! It is the only night since I moved here to Greece that I have been drunk; and it wasn’t intentional!

So, I guess what I’m trying to say is this: Nobody’s perfect. Most of us, at some point in our lives, have had experiences we wouldn’t have done or we’d rather forget if we hadn’t been under the influence of alcohol or narcotics of some description. Hand on heart; I honestly didn’t think I had. But, it would appear that I was dead wrong about that!

Bloody hell! I dread to think what else I’ve got up to that I can’t remember!

By the way, she and I chatted for over an hour, so I now have another new friend. Cool!

Melia :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 04:51:36 pm by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline bear60

Re: Nobody's perfect!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:40:02 pm »
Honey...
Let me tell you.....................the older you get the more your memory gets selective.  Drinking has a lot to do with not remembering things but its also very wierd how over time a memory sometimes sharpens or just disappears.  I came out to my 30th high school reunion as gay and HIV positive and there was a woman there who I had been in school with but I could not remember her at all.
But you did the right thing in any case.  So.....what happened_  Are you friends again?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:55:02 pm »
Yes, she's invited me to go and visit/stay over and has also invited me to her wedding in November!
Think I'll be sticking to water if I go though...

Melia  ::) 
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline Lis

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:30:25 pm »
HEY... Matty is perfect!!!

I know what you mean though... Ive been throwing the A bomb out at will... it comes with drama, but at least we can be who we are for a change , instead of trying to make up an excuse...  IM SICK!!!! I'm not going to make YOU SICK!!!!  what the fuck did i do wrong that the rest of the human race can judge me... ???  oh, i guess it was the fact that i raise 2 kids and have a husband of 20 years...  well fuck me running!!!!.... i wont do it again!

we all need to get over ourselves... we are who we are, and that is all we are!

i love you ALL!!!!!!!

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:27:04 pm »
HEY... Matty is perfect!!!

Fuckin' oath I am. ;) ;D

MtD
(Who amazes even himself)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:26:55 am »
we all need to get over ourselves... we are who we are, and that is all we are!

Well said Lisbeth!

I think my avatar pretty much sums up how we can feel: Aime ce que tu es = Love what you are!

Melia

PS: I'll let you all know about Matty...all in good time, all in good time! ;)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.