Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:26:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773282
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 312
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weight gain and Triumeq  (Read 11359 times)

Offline WilliamSG

Weight gain and Triumeq
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:01:01 pm »
I started Triumeq in December and gained about 15 pounds. The fat is around my midsection. Despite ramping up my cardio workouts and changing my diet the fat gut will not go away. Has any experienced gaining weight after starting Triumeq?

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Weight gain and Triumeq
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:29:26 pm »
Hi William,

Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear your having some weight gain problems, the midsection can be a real pain to shift.  I know I gained a few kilos but for me its just my metabolism starting to slow down/settle. 

Curious if you think its related to the meds have you mentioned to this to your Doctor by any chance ? What did they have to say ? Did you switch treatment to Triumeg or are you new to treatment?

Anyhow welcome to the forum and hope you stick around.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline WilliamSG

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 12:57:53 am »
Jim,

Thanks for the response. I shifted to Triumeq after many years on Atripla and Reyataz. Yes, told my doc and decided to give it a bit more time but thinking I need to switch again.

Offline owt

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »
I started Triumeq in December and gained about 15 pounds. The fat is around my midsection. Despite ramping up my cardio workouts and changing my diet the fat gut will not go away. Has any experienced gaining weight after starting Triumeq?

Oh don't tell me so.. i thought only PI cause weight gaining more often :( ... i'm now in Truvada/Prezista/Norvir and since i started it i got 3 kilos :( with Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir i gained like 12 kilos :S i have to be sincere i'm not a very active boy but i've been trying cardio and some diets and they don't really work :( and exactly like you all fat is in the midesection... i was thinking that Triumeq could be an option for me, but you're telling me very bad news.

this situation is getting me very sad, and i also have depression problems so you can imagine :( right now i'm feeling very bad...

tell your doctor if there anything to do.. i told mine and she said that HIV MEDICATION IS NOT THE REASON that surely i'm eating more and doing nothing.. yeah she's a bitch... she neither gave me any medical solution to my weight gain, i'm seeing a nutritionist this monday... i hope that goes ok.

keep looking for a solution.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 05:58:41 pm »
@Owt,

I appreciate overall you are going trough an extremely difficult time, however 1 persons experience does not mean the same is destine for you even if you do someday end up taking this specific combination.

Mod note
Can you please refrain from calling someone a b*****  its just unneeded and every time someone says it I end up getting complaints. So please find a different way to express yourself.

Thank you.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:00:52 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 11:56:13 am »
she said that HIV MEDICATION IS NOT THE REASON that surely i'm eating more and doing nothing..

Owt - firstly, I am pleased you are looking at continued treatment options. Thats a good thing.

But there is another possibility which isn't 'the meds causing it' or 'being unhealthy', and that is that body chemistry changes as a result of having the virus suppressed may be altering or slowing the metabolism and therefore making it easier to put weight on and equally more difficult to shift the weight.

I'm not a scientist, so it's very much theoretical but I'm seeing a similar thing on my combo (Tivicay/Truvada). I've always eaten a lot and not exercised much - I'll admit that - and I'm a biggish guy as a result, but my weight was relatively stable, even if on the obese side. Since starting meds, I've found shirts tighter and less comfortable and I've clearly put some weight on.

What I've done is download the 'myfitnesspal' app, and started logging my food and weight (as well as exercise) on a daily basis. I don't expect it to resolve without changing my diet or activities, but with that app you can get a breakdown of the food you have eaten so you can see if there are any adjustments that could be made as well as have documented data regarding physical activity. This is important for two reasons - if I make those adjustments and I see weight reducing then I can continue to identify ways to keep at it - as well as having some motivation due to everything being logged BUT if I cannot lose the weight then I have some evidential data (calories vs activity) which I could show to doctors or nutritionists to hopefully influence a course of action.

Not saying you should do the same, but it is a suggestion which may help.

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline owt

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 02:12:28 pm »
@Owt,

I appreciate overall you are going trough an extremely difficult time, however 1 persons experience does not mean the same is destine for you even if you do someday end up taking this specific combination.

Mod note
Can you please refrain from calling someone a b*****  its just unneeded and every time someone says it I end up getting complaints. So please find a different way to express yourself.

Thank you.

Jim

i'm so sorry Jim, i did not want to offend anybody here (well of course there's a reason i used that word but if you knew how hard is to deal with that lady) i apologize to everybody about this. :)

Offline owt

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 02:18:59 pm »
Owt - firstly, I am pleased you are looking at continued treatment options. Thats a good thing.

But there is another possibility which isn't 'the meds causing it' or 'being unhealthy', and that is that body chemistry changes as a result of having the virus suppressed may be altering or slowing the metabolism and therefore making it easier to put weight on and equally more difficult to shift the weight.

I'm not a scientist, so it's very much theoretical but I'm seeing a similar thing on my combo (Tivicay/Truvada). I've always eaten a lot and not exercised much - I'll admit that - and I'm a biggish guy as a result, but my weight was relatively stable, even if on the obese side. Since starting meds, I've found shirts tighter and less comfortable and I've clearly put some weight on.

What I've done is download the 'myfitnesspal' app, and started logging my food and weight (as well as exercise) on a daily basis. I don't expect it to resolve without changing my diet or activities, but with that app you can get a breakdown of the food you have eaten so you can see if there are any adjustments that could be made as well as have documented data regarding physical activity. This is important for two reasons - if I make those adjustments and I see weight reducing then I can continue to identify ways to keep at it - as well as having some motivation due to everything being logged BUT if I cannot lose the weight then I have some evidential data (calories vs activity) which I could show to doctors or nutritionists to hopefully influence a course of action.

Not saying you should do the same, but it is a suggestion which may help.

Hi Cavey, well in fact i'm a big fan of myfitnesspal since some years ago, as i told you i'm not a very active person so that app help me a lot to control what i eat and when a start to feel a little fatty hehe, i stick to that app a lot, it worked very well in that time, unfortunately since i'm on meds and chemo  it's been very hard to stick to a diet, i feel very tired if a don't eat enough so, that's the reason i'm seeing a nutritionist tomorrow i hope i get a good advice or some prescription to do this more easy, and yes i'll try to use myfitnesspal more often. it's an awesome tool.

thank you for caring about my meds, i really appreciate ... my friend :)

Offline Sam875

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 12:49:28 pm »
I started Triumeq back in October and had a check up today - I've gained 19 pounds in six months. My doctor has received similar weight gain complaints this week from patients on Triumeq.  I've been Poz since 1994 and been on various meds over the years and never experienced this sort of weight gain in such a short period.  We're looking at alternative meds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.