Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 375
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's Official  (Read 9652 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
It's Official
« on: July 03, 2006, 01:33:30 pm »
I'm now 'officially' OLD....my AARP card came in the mail this weekend!   It stirred up a lot of emotions in me, mostly joy !   I never would have dreamed I would live to be a senior citizen !

The view's not so bad from this side of the hill....

Alan (who thinks it would be a lot more fun to be RICH and old instead of POOR and old!)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline bear60

Re: It's Official
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 02:59:34 pm »
Alan....I remember the arrival of my AARP card too. I had the same kind of emotions.....So soon....it seems like yesterday I was graduating from college! ....Does this mean I can get discounts at movie theaters!... am I supposed to act differently now?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 04:17:51 pm »
Rich or poor, I'm just glad you're still with us, old man!

:-*

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:08:03 pm »
 :D

Alan, I've been receiving my "old card" now for 4 years.  :o Actually, your not a senior citizen until your 55 !1Don't push it. ;) I will officiallly become a senior citizen in December, when I turn 55. Can't wait to become a grumpy old man...  ::)  What always gets me, is when I have to write my age down, It such a LARGE NUMBER !!

Take Care------Ray---- 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 07:22:41 pm »
How old are you when you get your AARP card?  I should be getting close to getting one.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 07:48:11 pm »
Teresa,

Your eligible for AARP card at 50 years of age. You have to notify them, and you pay a small yearly fee.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Teresa

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 08:07:23 pm »
Well Ray...im about a yr and half away. I guess i better start checking out things ...LOL

Do you get alot of discounts with it?

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 08:25:20 pm »
Hello Teresa,

I never really used it that often. When I had dial up service, it gave me a two dollars discount per month on that (through Earthlink). So that savings, made up for the annual fee for AARP, and then some.

We will be heading out on vacation in a couple weeks, see if we can find more uses for it, and more discounts.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 09:56:15 pm »

I think this must also mean that you just had a birthday.  If I missed that thread somewhere...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

But it doesn't mean you're old.  I actually got an AARP something or other in the mail when I turned 25.  ROFLMAO - WTF!!!

Talk about being made to feel old before your time.  whoa

Enjoy your discounts and stuff

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 09:59:33 pm »
No, birthday is not until November......but they sent me the application, I filled it out, paid the fee, and voila.....I'm official!

I plan to use it wherever I can, for movie discounts, etc.

PS - thanks Cliff!  I'm glad to still be around, it sure beats the alternative !
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 10:05:02 pm »
Hey Alan,
Do you have the feeling someone is looking over your shoulder? Nope, you're not imagining it. It's me, right behind you, admiring your backside as I edge ever closer to "that side of the hill."

Ah, the joys of growing older. Something all the twinks out there will have to wait to experience to understand.

HUGS and a pat on the butt,  ::)

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 10:09:40 pm »
Give me a break.... All you guys look like your in your thirtysoming years...  Are you using an airbrush!! ;D

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 11:55:57 pm »
Dear Alan,

I've had my AARP card for six years.  That would make me 56.  It's sort of a status symbol for me.  Crap, my Dad and I are both AARP members.  Go figure.

See you in Montreal and we can compare wrinkles.

Hugs and love, Ric

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 12:03:01 am »
Alan,

I must qualify into that group too.  ::)

See you in Montreal and we can compare wrinkles.

We can make a contest out of this...but all the guys below 40 aren't allowed to participate.  8)

Senior Canuck

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 04:25:43 am »
Over here in the UK, we don’t have AARP card, so don’t really know what you are all referring to, but age, I’m hurtling towards 57, I don’t notice any difference to how I was thirty years ago, it just gets a bit scary if I forget to duck or look away when I pass by a mirror or shop window.

John(UK)
(who’s avoiding reflecting surfaces, so he thinks he’s forever young?)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 09:07:53 am »
You old fart

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 02:44:57 pm »
Well,    even at my old age (with my ARRP card in hand), I tripsy over to Old Navy quite often, and buy alot of clothes from there,   (acting my "age" ......don't really know.   What is age.....
(No don't use the card there, actually never have, dont think).   But never let age or years or what ever you want to call it get in the way of enjoying life to the fullest.     
I won't dress old(er),   act old(er).   Enjoying life,   and the experience I have gained over the years.   

Bruce
Ain't life grand.
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 06:14:41 pm »
You old fart

Hehehe.. that made me think of a birthday card I once gave a woman I used to work with.  It had the Mickey Mouse Club symbol on the front with "M-I-C-K-E-Y...", inside it said.. "You are O-L-D!"

LOL.. Best card EVER!  She loved it.  :D
Member since March 2004

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 08:37:04 pm »
Well hell, I can't win.   I whipped out my AARP card at the movies today (saw Pirates of the Caribbean, it was pretty good!), the lady looked at it, then swiped my debit card, and handed me my receipt.....she STILL charged my card for the regular price....maybe that is a hint from the Universe to me, saying "don't be in such a rush to get old"......

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 11:00:22 pm »
Alan,
It's just that you don't look old! You have that twinkle of youth in your eyes - and the Oil of Delay you buy by the 55-gallon drum doesn't hurt either!  ::)

Oh, wait, that was me who ordered the econo-size that came replete with its own derek!?!

Sorry, my bad.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 11:28:26 pm »
Mark,

I need an oil drum FULL of "Oil of Old Lady" as I call it....then I could just take a DIP in it!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2006, 12:28:58 am »
Next time try "Oil of Jose" and see how that works for you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:32:00 am by Basquo »

Offline et in arcadia ego

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 12:46:30 am »
Ah, yes, Alan...I remember when mine came, and I felt officially old.

I still haven't joined and don't remember why. I think I was pissed at them for caving in to Bush on something.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.