Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm afraid I may get fired from my new almost perfect job:-(  (Read 5203 times)

Offline ryeguy

I'm afraid I may get fired from my new almost perfect job:-(
« on: October 11, 2007, 06:29:31 am »
Greetings from Germany:-))

On the 25th of Sept. I was injured a work. Maybe I should start different. I work in the function of a head waiter (no I don't give head for tips. LOL)  in a very old four star hotel here in Berlin. The work is nice, the restaurant manager is great and the coworkers are mostly OK. I started woeking there on the 15th of June and have a 6 month probation period. A probation period in Germany means the employer can fire an employee basically without any reason.
  When one is injured or ill in Germany it is possible to go the Doc. and get a sick note which requires the employee not to work and the employer to pay full wages to the ill worked. sounds great right! Well the problem in Germany is too many workers take ad vatage of this social right and play sick. Most of te doctors don't even care and will give a sick-note for two weeks without even bating an eye. I know people who go to the doctor just to get sick-notes because they are lazy. As long as one is not in the probation period it is almost impossible for the employer to do anything.
   Well now we come to the 25th os Sept. I was in the Wine Cellar stocking a few wines for the nightly al a carte guests, when I hit my head on the ceiling as it is very low and poorly lit. I fell t the ground and everything went dark. When I came to an apprentice was asking me if I was OK. I smelt blood and my head hurt. Was dizzy and at first could not move. He called fot the kitchen Chef who brought me ice and then a coworker took me to the Emergency room where I got 5 stitches. With a bit of a shaved head, 5 stitches , and a head ache I went to work the next day. Everything was OK I just had like a killer head ache the entire night.
  The next day on the way to work int the subway my head ache got worse, I became dizzy, and saw two of everything. I got out of the subway and took a taxi to my doctor. After checking me she discovered that my right pupil did not respond rapidly to light and sent me to the emergency room, where the doctors agreed that I needed to stay for an MRT and for observation. The seeing two of everything only lasted about two minutes, and for the head ache and dizziness I got some real good pills. non the less the doctors wanted to keep me in the hospital for 5 days before releasing me. The end diagnosis was a puncture wound, concussion, and whip lash to the neck.
 A week later I am still at home, just have a bit of neck pain other than that the head aches are much more seldom. I hope I will be allowed to go back to work soon otherwise I think I may lose my job.
 Thank youfor reading all this.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm afraid I may get fired from my new almost perfect job:-(
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 08:43:34 am »
WOW, Rye, what a scary accident. Good that you finally got the medical treatment you needed.

Have you stayed in touch with your employer? Calling in and reporting your progress might be helpful in having them hold your job open for you.

Good luck with your continued recovery. Scary stuff you went through.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:51:01 am »
Rye,

I am pretty confident that you will end up OK as far as your job goes.  All that had to occur for your care of this injury is easily documentable.  I'm much more concerned about the actual injury.  As Andy said, that's scary stuff.  Glad to read you are on the mend.  Take care and let us know how it plays out with work.  I really expect all to be OK.  Fingers crossed for you, though.

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline chadly

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 09:22:04 am »
I'll have to agree with thunter and andy.
If you express these same concerns with your employer, I'm sure things will work out.  Your employer will probably see what we can read... your dedication to work.

Just make sure that you take care of yourself, no job that ranks higher then ones own personal health-

Best wishes rye!
C

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 10:00:36 am »
Wow! What an accident...If you become sick because of an accident at work, your employer can not fire you. In fact, when you don´t show to work for a period of 3 or less days you don´t even need a Dr´s justification but you don´t get paid for those three days (if you don´t bring a Dr´s note). For more days you always need a Dr.´s note. If the reason was an accident at work you get paid the 100% OF YOUR SALARY from the very first day. At least here in Spain. I think in Germany must be the same.
I don´t think your employer would dare to fire you. Make sure your Dr that first saw you after the accident describes the accident in its report.
I know a lot of these things because I am a member of an Union in my workplace.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:12:46 am »
" I started woeking there on the 15th of June and have a 6 month probation period. A probation period in Germany means the employer can fire an employee basically without any reason. "

Is it a probation period or a six months contract preceding an indefenite contract ?

Ryeguy, I wish you a speedy recovery and like the others said before keep in touch with your employer.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:33:26 am by Grasshopper »

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:19:50 am »
Hallo Ryeguy, Wie Getz?

A concussion can be a very serious injury, I can't believe they didn't keep you for observation the first day.
One of my best friends is German and I spent some time in Germany myself.   I didn't think you could get fired that easily, especially since you do have a real medical reason for being absent from work.  Also since your injuries happened at work, that is another reason why they should not be able to even think about firing you.
I will get in contact with my friends in Germany, one of my buddies is a lawyer in Germany so he will know what are you rights and how to deal with this.

Tschuess

Rich

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:53 am »
As others have said, it was an accident at work. You have witnesses and hopefully, you told your boss about it right away (and gave him the first page of the yellow slip you got from your doc). A poorly lit cellar is a permanent danger and he should be very concerned himself that you don't want compensation from him. In any case, it's not a reason to fire you.

If you have any questions regarding probation time or accidents at work, ask the Betriebsrat of your hotel or get counselling by the Gewerkschaft Nahrung-Genuss-Gaststätten (NGG). That's the Union responsible for hotel employees. You don't need to be a Unionist to ask them for counselling. Here's the address of their Berlin office:

Hauptstadtbüro NGG
Luisenstr. 38
10117 Berlin
Tel.: 030 / 28 88 49 69-0
Fax: 030 / 28 88 49 69-9

Since it's an accident at work: In case you get sick for more than 6 weeks, you still get your salary - not from your employer but from the Berufsgenossenschaft Nahrungsmittel und Gaststätten (BNG), that's where your employer is insured. They have their local office at: Fregestr. 44, 12161 Berlin, Phone 030/85105 - 0.

Anyways, while it's theoretically possible, I wouldn't worry too much about getting fired. Your injury is a far more serious thing.

Take care and get well soon!  :-*

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 11:22:37 am by Cerrid »
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 06:30:58 am »
Wow, thank you all so very much for your considerate thoughts , well wishes, and advice.
To answer a couple of questions;

It was documented as a work injury, `´Arbeits Umfall`´

My contract with the hotel is an indefinite contract, which if not terminated by myself or employer ends  according to German law on my 64th Birthday.

Thank you also for the contact information for die B.G. für G.N.

Bist du Deutsch, wo wohnst du dann? Nicht so viel Amerikaner kennen sich aus mit ein Beitriebsrat oder unserer B.G.'s  Danke Danke:-) Ich bin selber Amerikaner aber wohne hier seit fast 10 jahre.

Thankyou for the offer with th lawyer that would be of course my last resort. Thank God I am fully insured for all legal affairs. 'Voll Rechtschutzversichert'

As far as compensation for my injuries, it is not like in the U.S., according to German law the employer has to pay for my medical bills, my salary as long as I am sick, and only in special cases schmerzens gelt, or translated, pain or suffering and pain. this is never very much in Germany and for a relative minor injury like mine the financial gain would be quit trivial. In Germany you have to be very seriously hurt like lose an arm leg or near death experience before you get money for pain and suffering and it is never more than a few thousand Euro.

I can start back work on Monday,I hope everything works out. I can't be fired as long as I am on 'sick leave' they can fire me first on Monday, otherwise it's illegal. Maybe I am a bit paranoid. Most workers here are unemployment rates over the last years have always been nationally between 12 and 15 percent. Although I have never had to look for a job long.

Thankyou all for your support.

mit aller beste wünsche aus der Deutscher Hauptstadt Berlin,

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:40:37 pm by JimDublin »

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 10:06:57 am »
Bist du Deutsch, wo wohnst du dann? Nicht so viel Amerikaner kennen sich aus mit ein Beitriebsrat oder unserer B.G.'s  Danke Danke:-) Ich bin selber Amerikaner aber wohne hier seit fast 10 jahre.

Hey ,

yes, I'm a german native. I'm currently living in Muenster, Westphalia, but have lived and worked in other parts of Germany before. Coincidentally, I have a job interview next week in Berlin. It's already the second interview with this company, so with a little luck (and provided, the trains are running again), I'm going to move to our beloved capital as well. :D

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Best,
Claas

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:44:45 pm by JimDublin »
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.